PDA

View Full Version : New from The Lefty Luthier

Lefty Luthier
Apr-24-2011, 10:53am

This rather conventional appearing F5 (#219) is without a doubt the finest sounding that I have built. It may be the Carpathian Spruce top or fossil ivory bridge saddle or just dumb luck. It will be delivered to a lucky young man as a college graduation present from a proud father.

Ed Goist
Apr-24-2011, 11:20am
Beautiful work Byron!
LOVE that headstock inlay!

barry k
Apr-24-2011, 6:18pm
Why did you place the "F" holes further towards the headstock on this mandolin? Maybe thats the reason it sounds so good. Looks like almost an inch foward ? Fossilized ivory or bone saddle tends to treblize (new word ?) the sound too much for my liking , other words too tinny. You seem to be a very prolific builder, how many in a year do you build ? I thought you had posted a bout a year ago that you were up to # 120 or so ?

Lefty Luthier
Apr-25-2011, 9:42am
Why did you place the "F" holes further towards the headstock on this mandolin? Maybe thats the reason it sounds so good. Looks like almost an inch foward ? Fossilized ivory or bone saddle tends to treblize (new word ?) the sound too much for my liking , other words too tinny. You seem to be a very prolific builder, how many in a year do you build ? I thought you had posted a bout a year ago that you were up to # 120 or so ?

When I use bone or ivory saddles I always locate the F-holes with the max opening point forward of the bridge. I have found that this tends to balance output over the entire frequency spectrum. As to the quantity that I have built, I number sequentially regardless of product. Over the past 2 years I got a commission from a philanthropist for 90 A-style instruments for student music programs. These were generic and were turned out in mass without my signature on the label. Last year and so far this year the custom build of signature grade instruments is 7 delivered with 3 more in work and 3 for sale on my website.