PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky dog model

josh12345
Apr-20-2011, 9:44am
anyone got any information on the value of a kentucky dog model?

Thanks

Mandolin Mick
Apr-20-2011, 9:56am
Do you mean the Kentucky Dawg?

josh12345
Apr-20-2011, 10:08am
Yup, my bad. I do mean the dawg model.

Mandolin Mick
Apr-20-2011, 10:11am
It's a copy of the Monteleone Grand Artist model that was made for David Grisman. Sort of unorthodox in the scroll but I have no idea what it sounds like.

SternART
Apr-20-2011, 10:26am
Some of those Dawg models sounded very nice! There weren't many made, do a search here on the Cafe, there were long threads previously, talking about Kentucky Mandolins in those days, Sumi the lead builder, the exact number made, etc. I know a few owners of them are on the Cafe, and I've seen them for sale in the Classifieds before......don't recall the asking prices though.

mrmando
Apr-20-2011, 11:28am
Sold one last August for $3200 on the Classifieds. Went quick. Probably could have sold it for more.

f5loar
Apr-20-2011, 2:57pm
original owners still holding on to them. They are really decent mandos and look really cool for a non F5.

tryingtopick
Apr-20-2011, 7:34pm
May I inquire as to the condition of the Dawg?

RichM
Apr-20-2011, 8:42pm
I used to own one and kind of wish I still did. The market for them is pretty volatile. There are so few of them and they rarely come up for sale, so you never know what a motivated buyer might do. Of course, the Monteleone style is not everybody's cup of tea. But with the price of a real Monteleone approaching the cost of a minivan, and the fact that Sumi has become such a highly respected luthier in his own right, I would expect demand for these to remain high.

While we're discussing Dawgs, I have an Eastman Giacomel Dawg model, and it's a darn fine instrument. As someone said in another thread, "It's not just another Eastman." I imagine Dawg still has quite a few instruments in his collection, so here's to folks making reasonably priced copies for some years to come!

mrmando
Apr-24-2011, 1:12am
May I inquire as to the condition of the Dawg?
A few gray hairs but still going strong!

Jeff Budz
Apr-24-2011, 3:19pm
A few gray hairs but still going strong!

Nice one!