PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a demanding repair job!

Matteo
Apr-19-2011, 11:47am
Now that's darn inexpensive for a 1918 Gibson mandolin...
Oh wait...

http://cgi.ebay.com/c-1918-Gibson-Style-Mandolin-/220770888399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3366f86acf

I can only imagine how challenging a similar project would be, economically and technically.

Gail Hester
Apr-19-2011, 12:13pm
No problem, it just takes some time. Looks like a good candidate for the next cafe restoration:)

sunburst
Apr-19-2011, 1:16pm
Yep. I've got worse in the shop right now.
Major restorations are just a series of routine repair jobs, one after the other, until the whole job is done. Just read through the restoration thread and imagine all those steps being done in the same shop. The challenge (and the fun) is to figure out the procedures, the order to do them, and then make it looks like none of it happened.;)

RichM
Apr-19-2011, 1:29pm
Actually, that one doesn't look that bad-- might be a good project for a budding luthier!

sunburst
Apr-19-2011, 1:54pm
I'm afraid I have to disagree with that. While not of particular value, it's a historic piece, and a luthier beyond the "budding" stage would most likely be called upon to do a satisfactorily "period correct" restoration.
There are many project instruments of moderate quality and little significance for budding luthiers to hone their chops upon.

John Duncan
Apr-19-2011, 2:09pm
I'd LOVE to watch another Cafe Restoration project!!!