PDA

View Full Version : My "new" Martin B Style

Capt. E
Apr-19-2011, 9:22am
Just acquired my first Martin mandolin. It is a beautiful B Style made in 1926 with engraved tailpiece and tuner covers, diamond inlays on the fretboard and plays wonderfully. Only flaws are a repaired back crack and moderate first position fret wear. Original case etc. Check out all the pictures in my album: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1074

JEStanek
Apr-19-2011, 9:28am
Looks great. I love those flat backed mandolins. They have great voices.

Jamie

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-19-2011, 9:58am
Very nice. I've been trying to snag one of those on the cheap for a while now. Prices seem to be all over the map

Capt. E
Apr-19-2011, 12:17pm
Got lucky and won it off ebay for $520. Doesn't chop worth a darn (of course, none of them do) but it has a great "old time" sound.

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-20-2011, 9:10am
Got lucky and won it off ebay for $520. Doesn't chop worth a darn (of course, none of them do) but it has a great "old time" sound.

I know :-) I was watching it and missed the end of auction Good snag It looked pretty complete and had the case. I don't want to buy one without a case and have to search around for one. They are very hard to find under $1000

brunello97
Apr-20-2011, 9:48am
That is a nice one, Capt., the rosewood back in particular. I have an A and a B that I got for extremely reasonable prices. A lot of patience and looking as most go much higher as Darryl suggests. Now and then one flies under the radar or slips between the gaps. I've got other mandolins when I am in a choppin' mood. The Martins sound awesome.

Mick

Capt. E
Apr-20-2011, 10:33am
I had posted elsewhere a question about whether refinishing a 1926 Martin would reduce its value as it does a vintage Gibson. I know original finish is desirable and I like the "played" look in general, but a refinish sure would make it pretty.
Right now, the only things I would do now is make sure the back crack is soundly repaired and give it a nice cleaning.