PDA

View Full Version : Yay!

whomad
Apr-19-2011, 12:10am
Just got my first mandolin.
I live in WI and there literally is nothing anywhere near me that sells mandolins except GC with the $150 ibanez/fender stuff.

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=02_(5)_003.JPG&username=coinsantiques022&aid=797622551

it's darker than the photos, i'd say your average burst for color (shade)
Some of the inlays on the fretboard are a lot nicer than I thought they would be.

I'm very skittish about acoustic instruments, more so since this is not exactly brand new.
Haven't tuned it up fully yet, got it tuned but down in E. Like I said, very skittish. I still freak out a little bit when I restring my acoustic guitar that I've owned for three years now.

Inside the right F hole it says "hand made" Supposedly its a 70's Alvarez A800, honestly I just love how it looked and just decided, thats the mandolin I want, thats what I'm going to get and I'll be happy even if the sound is not the greatest.

I ordered a set of light strings, I will eventually attempt to restring it in the future, for now the however old strings that were on it stay.

I need to reposition the bridge a tiny bit, and the 1st D/A string buzz a tiny bit in the open position, I'm guessing a string gauge change will fix that though.

Overall I am ECSTATIC. Once I finally get the courage up to tune it fully I will see how she really plays, so far its great. Intonation is a bit off but thats probably because I'm tuned down a third.

Sorry for the long post, I talk a lot when I'm excited.

Any advice for a new mando player is welcomed.

bernabe
Apr-19-2011, 6:40am
Congrats. Get it set up right. It will feel better and sound better.

pickloser
Apr-19-2011, 6:50am
That's great--congratulations!! I hope you have wonderful times together.

Markus
Apr-19-2011, 7:05am
Awesome, congrats.

If you ever get in the Madison area, there's a couple stores with some nice mandolins to browse - but I hear you, I don't hope to find mandolins in shops when I travel the state.

Jim Garber
Apr-19-2011, 7:07am
Congratulaytions!! it looks like a good choice to start for sure.

Intonation may also be off if the strings are old. Tune it up to pitch to see what the thing really sounds like. It should be able to take it. Sounds like you have no one near you to set it up properly but if you have the ears to tell that the intonation is off, you prob have enough sense to do rudimentary set up yourself.

JEStanek
Apr-19-2011, 7:50am
Welcome and Congratulations on the mandolin.

Jamie

Eric Hanson
Apr-19-2011, 8:09am
CONGRATS!!!
Welcome to the world of fifths.
I too had some trepidation about adjusting the setup on my instrument. Due to the encouragement form all here on the forum, and seeing a video of Dave Harvey adjusting the bridge on his mandolin, I did so. Great results became manifest.
If you are not game enough to try the set up yourself I am sure you will be able to find someone to do so for you.
Success to you in your new adventure!

whomad
Apr-19-2011, 11:54am
found the buzzing, the 2nd D tuner (very top, im not 100% on terms yet) knob is a tiny bit loose

Ed Goist
Apr-19-2011, 7:41pm
Welcome to the Cafe. Congratulations! Beautiful instrument.
Here is something that might be affecting the intonation - It looks from the photos like the compensated saddle might be installed backwards? Am I seeing a "T" (meant to indicate the treble side of the saddle) on the base side of the bridge?

Phil Goodson
Apr-27-2011, 5:44pm
Even if the base is backwards, the saddle on top looks properly oriented.

Gail Hester
Apr-27-2011, 5:50pm
Congratulations! The saddle is installed correctly.

walt33
Apr-27-2011, 8:27pm
Welcome aboard! The top looks like a nice piece of wood, and your mando already has some built-in mojo. Enjoy it, and you will learn a lot about mandolins, and playing them, on this forum.