PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Martin A

pelone
Apr-18-2011, 7:03pm
I often dislike it when folks, in the past, ask what a specific instrument might be worth. Mea Culpa. But, what might a fair market value be for a 1964 A, crank top mando that is in good condition with only a few minor blems? The seller is proposing 900 bananas/cocos/tacos. Is this a bit high.

I should mention, what I really want is a Gibson A because I feel that it would hold its own more better during a jam with a bit more punch and bark.

But--it appears that I have contracted MAS---any thoughts?:)

bolannta
Apr-18-2011, 7:48pm
Here are similar instruments currently listed by a sponsor, Elderly Instruments. (http://www.elderly.com/brand/90U_martin.html) This may provide a frame of reference.

Schlegel
Apr-18-2011, 7:52pm
You're within spitting distance of the price of an A-40 or A-50... If you really want a Gibson why not wait a bit and get about $200 more together? They show up in that range.

JGWoods
Apr-18-2011, 8:03pm
Nice Matin bent top As run around $650-$750, and there is one in the classifieds, nfi
I have both a Martin bent top A and a Gibson A4 and the Gibson does have a little bit more punch. If cutting through in a jam is important you might want to look for an F hole mandolin.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2011, 8:06pm
Don't get hung up on the age of the instrument either, a Flatiron (Gibson built) from the 90's is pretty close to that and you'll have the longer neck. I've seen used Gibson A-9's in that price range as well. If you buy the Martin you're just going to want the Gibson anyway

barney 59
Apr-18-2011, 10:19pm
Right now Mandolin Bros. has a 1917 Martin "Biting Special" for sale and on sale for under $700 (that's the cash discount price.) I'd be looking at that, from a reputable dealer that will back up what he's selling. If Mandolin Bros. is selling vintage flat top Martin's for $700 then you can bet that $900 is pretty much over priced.

pelone
Apr-19-2011, 9:20am
Good advice. I have to get this case of MAS under control. I have 5 mandos that I have made for my grandkids sitting in the house right now. I do not know why I want another---I just need to feed my addiction, I suppose. So, I will be patient and wait for a Gibson to come along. When I search e-bay they seems to be scooped up for a hefty price.

barney 59
Apr-19-2011, 2:20pm
I have been saving every Gibson A model auction that comes up on ebay for the last little while. Vintage A's and 0 to 4 and 40's & 50's. I don't bother with ones that start at stupid high prices and I was figuring to do it for a few more weeks and see what results I get but there are quite a few that don't look to bad, are probably playable as is ,only need minor repair or have cosmetic damage or some change up like refinishing issues,none original hardware and sell below $1000. Some for significantly below $1000. Particularly plain A's(no headstock logo) and 40's and 50's. Some really nice A model mandolins are commonly selling for only maybe 2/3's the price that they would have sold for a year or so ago. Specials like an A2Z or really pristine A-4's still can bring in hefty prices but I think you could come up with a nice vintage Gibson player easily for that $900 that is burning a hole in your pocket. I did look around for Martin A models and found a couple that dealers were selling that were in your price range, the only really significant difference is that they were prewar. Gruhn had a sweet one from the 20's at about that price. The Biting Special I mentioned I went back and read about it. It does have some significant problems that Stan explains very clearly but it is a really rare Martin and is maple instead of mahogany which is really uncommon. So for $795 and a couple hundred more for rehab you end up with an actual collectible mandolin.

jaycat
Apr-19-2011, 2:57pm
Here are similar instruments currently listed by a sponsor, Elderly Instruments. (http://www.elderly.com/brand/90U_martin.html) This may provide a frame of reference.

I love that "Excellent Condition Except Needs Work."

pelone
Apr-19-2011, 8:08pm
Barney--I think that you are right about tracking the Gibson A's for awhile to gain an appreciation for what they may finally sell for on ebay. I have resigned myself to be patient and like Mike says, if I get the Martin--I will still want the Gibson. I presently own a Gibson mando/banjo---it is an acquired taste much like olives, bagpipes and most banjos. As far as continuing to scan the web sites for a project, I feel very competent in taking on a less than perfect instrument with my building experience and skills.

Thanks for the help. Pelone

allenhopkins
Apr-20-2011, 11:55am
Paid $750 for my 1920 Martin A with a hardshell case. I wouldn't go $900 unless it was super-special-mint, and I was crazy about it.

pelone
Apr-20-2011, 11:32pm
Allen---Thanks for the feed back. I noticed that your Martin did not even break into your starting lineup and even your Stradolin Vega banjolin made the varsity team. This kind of says that the Martin may not be what I really want based on your roster. I have decided to hold out for a Gibson---the heart wants what the heart wants, right?

allenhopkins
Apr-21-2011, 10:17am
...I noticed that your Martin did not even break into your starting lineup and even your Stradolin Vega banjolin made the varsity team. This kind of says that the Martin may not be what I really want based on your roster. I have decided to hold out for a Gibson---the heart wants what the heart wants, right?

Well, I bought the Martin recently, and have no more characters available in my signature to list it! (Not bragging, but that's the way it is...) I do like the Style A, take it to non-bluegrass seisuns and sing-arounds, and am pleased that I bought it. Doesn't sound like a Gibson, but I have mandolins that sound like Gibsons, 'cause they are...

On no particular topic whatever, recently acquired mando-stuff that won't fit into the signature block includes:
Eastman DGM-1 "Dawg" Giacomel repro
Eastman DGM-2 "Dawg" Bacon repro
Regal Octofone
and the aforementioned 1920 Martin Style A.

So don't go by my "roster" as a guide to my preferences. I've been playing the DGM-1 lots and lots lately, in quasi-bluegrass contexts.

Capt. E
Apr-21-2011, 11:53am
Just to give you some perspective: Within the last 6 months I have won of ebay a 1926 Martin B Style with original case (model above the A) for $520 and a 1921 Gibson A (earliest one with a truss rod) for $475.00 in solid condition with original case. You don't have to spend $900 to get one of these instruments in good playable condition. If you have a good luthier handy your options open up even more as most Gibson A's can be brought back to playability for another $200 - $300.