PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin newb again

wxfloyd
Nov-04-2004, 4:36pm
I just talked to the people at Folk of the Wood (which i've heard mixed opinions about on here) and they actually recommended the Michael Kelly Legacy Solid over the Kentucky KM-380S. They said that this mandolin (for an import) sounds and plays very well (especially compared to Kentucky). If anyone would want to chime in on this as well, please do so. I know this one is an F-style, which i would actually prefer over an A-style, but I'm just wanting to start playing with a good mandolin withough spending an arm and a leg!!! thanks again,

jeremy

Stillpicking
Nov-04-2004, 5:18pm
I have 2 Michael Kelly mandolins and like them both very much. For the price you would be hard pressed to find a better mandolin.
Elderly also carries them you might want to shop around and compare prices.

frogbiscuit
Nov-04-2004, 5:32pm
I can't comment on the Michael Kelly, but Nathan at FOTW was very helpful when purchasing my Kentucky. It came set up very nice and packed well. I highly reccomend them.

wrutemeyer
Nov-07-2004, 11:43pm
I have a MK basic legacy model, and I love it. My only suggestion is to invest in a new tailpiece for it...I'm going to invest in a cast tailpiece soon.

bjc
Nov-08-2004, 7:34am
Both are nice choices, but I would go with the MK. This is only because I faced a similar choice and the MK just spoke to me more...Though I did not find anything particularly "wrong" with the Kentucky. I feel confident that the MK will last me for quite a while...though MAS continues to strike me...

dtb
Nov-08-2004, 8:15am
I have a MK basic legacy model, and I love it. #My only suggestion is to invest in a new tailpiece for it...I'm going to invest in a cast tailpiece soon.
absolutley, I put an Allen on mine, and it really improved the overall sound.

wxfloyd
Nov-08-2004, 10:29am
where can i find an allen tailpiece? Its official that I'm getting a MK Legacy solid. I just have to wait till Christmas now before i can play it!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

squeally dan
Nov-08-2004, 10:54am
I have an MK FS that I like. Does the tail piece really make that much difference? I hate to spend money on this mandolin that I could possibly save a put towards an upgrade (non-mass produced mandolin).

adgefan
Nov-08-2004, 10:59am
In January I was in the exact same position - whether to choose a Kentucky or MK. In the end I was told Kentucky mandos aren't up to scratch these days (something to do with being made in China rather than Korea).

I got a MK Legacy Solid and have not regretted it yet. I've even been told by people "in the know" not to worry about upgrading as it's very good for a factory made instrument. Of course, this hasn't stopped me dreaming of that elusive 5K mando yet!

So even though I haven't played a kentucky I would strongly recommend the MK as mine has served me well over the past 11 months.

steve in tampa
Nov-08-2004, 12:39pm
You can get the same Allen tailpiece and Grover tuners that come on MK mandolins here:

http://www.customshopparts.com/

bjc
Nov-08-2004, 12:41pm
Jeremy you can get the Allen tail at http://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs.htm...A lot of places don't have them in stock (including MK), but I got mine in no time flat straight from Allen (the cost was the same as anywhere else) and it was bone head easy to put on...which was a plus for me...Enjoy

bjc
Nov-08-2004, 12:42pm
This link will work sorry about the ...'s

http://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs.htm

Stillpicking
Nov-08-2004, 12:44pm
I have 2 MKs and got the tailpiece replacement on both, well worth the money. Try FQMS they have a good selection at real good prices.

squeally dan
Nov-09-2004, 9:20am
So a different tailpiece makes that much difference? What improves? Tone? Volume?

Stillpicking
Nov-09-2004, 2:52pm
Good question I should have finished my reply with the other upgrades I made. The same time I did the cast tailpiece I repalced the original rosewood bridge with a Sullivan ebony bridge and had a pearl nut put on. After all of the above I tested out various strings until I put on some heavy TIs, the got my MK where I wanted it as far as tone volumn/sound. Almost forgot I put an armrest on it as I was tending to dampen the top with my right picking arm.

I am in the process of doing some similar upgrading on my new Legacy MK "O" but with this model MK the nut is of a better quality than was on my earlier "Butterfly". I already have a new Clumberland radius ebony bridge for it and I am waiting on a back ordered Allen tailpiece and an armrest. I have a set of heavy TIs coming and I am hoping for the same results I got with my "Butterfly" MK which is now 21/2 going on 3 years old.

steve in tampa
Nov-09-2004, 6:08pm
My experience with upgrading the bridge to a cast(Allen) it helps volume and tone some, sustain alot. Different instruments will probably respond differently.

A good set of tuners can also help the sound, not to mention staying in tune. The MK tuners are Grovers, and are pretty good. I ordered my MK Dragonfly with the Allen.

Have a set of Grovers on the way, and a Cumberland bridge, Allen tailpiece, and D'Addrio EFT16 Flat tops in hand for my Jap 2 point.