PDA

View Full Version : So THAT'S what "The Loar" 700 is all about...

bjewell
Apr-16-2011, 7:05pm
Rode the Harley down to Tiburon today to check out what was new at Schoenberg Guitars. Eric is such a prince of a guy. Anyhow, I played a bunch of mandolins and the one that stood out to me was The Loar 700.

What a beautiful instrument at such a humble price. I've owned a dozen mandolins in my life, never really could get the hang of the right hand thing, but I would definitely consider trying again with one of those things...

dcoventry
Apr-16-2011, 8:10pm
Oh heck yeah! That's a real fine mando for a very fair price. I was happy with mine for quite some time. Especially nice on the open chording and such. The lack of tone bars give it a very specific bass range that is very interesting to play with. Also, one of the best necks and fretboards for comfort I have ever played. In fact, the whole The Loar line is really an ode to fair pricing and quality.

Damn fine.

billkilpatrick
Apr-17-2011, 12:22pm
In fact, the whole The Loar line is really an ode to fair pricing and quality.

totally agreed, if my 600 is anything to go by.

Brad Davis
Apr-17-2011, 1:46pm
I love mine. Went into Janet Davis originally to buy the 600, but you get double the mandolin for few hundered more dollars. Great bass sound....punchy...some people don't like the thick necks, but I find it very comfortable.

Larry S Sherman
Apr-17-2011, 4:25pm
In fact, the whole The Loar line is really an ode to fair pricing and quality.

I would say "ode to affordable pricing" or "ode to consumer value", but not "fair pricing".

"Fair" has ethical implications, and is only meaningful in comparison to something else. A well made mandolin from a luthier with experience using quality tonewoods and hardware can cost much more than a "The Loar" mandolin, but still be a fair price.

"The Loar" mandolins are less expensive for economics reasons, such as lower labor costs, and probably lower prices for materials. That doesn't make the price fair, just an attractive price point that is in line with what people unfamiliar with mandolin prices expect to pay.

Larry

doc holiday
Apr-17-2011, 4:29pm
Well said Larry...

Keith Witty
Apr-17-2011, 5:10pm
I love mine, a ridiculously good instrument.

dcoventry
Apr-17-2011, 5:19pm
Ok Larry, mea culpa:crying:. I will purge myself of ambiguous language and correctify my nomenclatureness.:grin:

Moral implications? Ah, we were still talking about mandolins, right Larry? Plus, you have that Brentrup....everything looks all shiny and full of light to you! Hey, does that thing know it's in Greenfield?:))

Diabolical Dave