PDA

View Full Version : Any more info on this Australian mandolin?

Spenno
Apr-15-2011, 2:16am
Hi all. First post! :)
I have recently acquired a new mandolin from a private seller after several years of not playing. However I know very little about it! I know it was hand made in Australia from solid timbers, hand made bone nut & bridge saddle, adjustable solid ebony timber bridge, gold Hardware, inlayed headstock/fingerboard/back, set neck with a contoured/lined hardcase.
Can anyone shed any light on it? I don't know anything about the manufacturer or value but it seems like a very well constructed instrument.
Thanks!

Aran
Apr-15-2011, 3:13am
Hiya, I'm no expert but are you sure it is Australian made?

It looks very like the work of a guy in S.E. Asia (possibly Vietnam)

Spenno
Apr-15-2011, 3:24am
Thanks ... I'm just going on what the seller mentioned really. Whether they were simply told themselves where it was made, or knew for certain, I'm not sure.

mrmando
Apr-15-2011, 3:58am
Yes, this looks the work of either Bruce Wei (Taiwan) or Antonio Tsai (Vietnam). The wood may be solid or it may not be, but whereas these shops do a great job with inlay, they sometimes use wood that isn't properly seasoned, which can lead to problems later on.

Spenno
Apr-15-2011, 4:14am
Thanks. The woods are apparently solid flamed maple back / sides / neck, Canadian spruce soundboard, rosewood fingerboard. I'm guessing it's not Australian afterall lol!

D C Blood
Apr-15-2011, 6:01am
Hi, Mandolins such as these can be found on ebay. Sometimes, with a good setup, they can be reasonably good instruments. Others must just be appreciated for their inlay work and art. (wall-hangers)

Big Joe
Apr-15-2011, 6:31am
We've had a number of these mandolins and other stringed instruments come to our shop and so far not a one is worth anything as a playable instrument, but they are pretty and would look cool hanging on a wall. If you want good playability and tone you may decide to chose something a bit different. Maybe not quite a bad as an "Esteban", but still not good. Just my opinion.

trevor
Apr-15-2011, 7:00am
I've also had a few through, more decoration than musical instrument.

JEStanek
Apr-15-2011, 7:32am
That does look remarkably like the inlay work commonly seen out of Vietnam from Bruce Wie or Antonio Tsai. You can get tonewoods from all over shipped to all over so the provenance of the timbers doesn't mean it wasn't made in Australia. Howver, most of the Aussie builders I know of take advantage of the wonderful spectrum of native Australian timbers. Unless you had some more compelling evidence, I too would conclude this is more likely made in Vietnam than Australia.

If it is playable (a fresh adjustment by a compentent tech couldn't hurt) then you can learn some more on it and enjoy it. Welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie

mrmando
Apr-15-2011, 7:17pm
Looks like I got it backwards. Bruce Wei is from Vietnam; Antonio Tsai is in Taiwan.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-16-2011, 2:37am
A few 'ornate' wall hangers like that have appeared on here from time to time. Fabulous inlay work,but unfortunately,not much else,
Ivan

Malcolm G.
Apr-16-2011, 5:57am
I agree that the instrument is probably from Bruce or Antonio. I also agree that they are simply eye candy.

Shipping charges are so high into and out of their locations that they almost have to work with the least expensive raw materials to keep any kind of market.

When I win the lottery, I'm going to have a nice F5 made and send it to one of them before it's varnished to have their inlay artists do their thing, then have it finished by the builder.

Another of my many dreams........

Mike Bunting
Apr-16-2011, 9:59am
I wouldn't want inlay like that, it looks like it belongs in a circus sideshow.

almeriastrings
Apr-16-2011, 10:38am
They are also prone to developing cracks that make the Grand Canyon look modest, and to suddenly imploding....

As for filler around that inlay....:crying: Some are good, some are beyond diabolical. Obviously done by different subcontractors.

barney 59
Apr-18-2011, 12:41pm
I have run across those listings myself. Someone in Australia selling those with somewhat misleading wording that makes you think the origin is Australian. They are not, they most certainly are the instruments coming from Vietnam/Taiwan. I own one that I got real,real cheap, just to look at the Bling,Bling, on a chance encounter with an auction that was ending in 10 seconds and had no bids. I didn't have time to think it through,it is pretty to look at and would make a great wall hanger but Alas lives in a closet.

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-19-2011, 10:42am
I wouldn't want inlay like that, it looks like it belongs in a circus sideshow.

And if you really want to catch the audience's eyes, you can pair it with a Nudie Suit like Gram's for a totally over-the-top look...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SzjiIYYytJM/TSp49gGGKSI/AAAAAAAACnc/yh4Fg0mOZqk/s1600/3110_1013442804.jpg

Ben Milne
Apr-20-2011, 4:23am
ain't a part of nuthin Aussie thats fer sure.

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-20-2011, 12:22pm
lol -- although I suppose its dorsal cross could be a reference to the Southern Cross...

http://www.beat-surrender.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Nudie11.jpg