PDA

View Full Version : New Commodium mandola, the first. "Careless Love"

Keith Cary
Apr-14-2011, 1:17pm
I finished my first Commodium mandola last week and I'm pretty fired up about it. I have some control over the size of the resonating chamber by how high the cone is positioned so this instrument uses the full pan. It's loud but warm and doesn't fall apart on the low C string. Here it is playing Careless Love, played this morning in my living room. It has a 17.25" scale. The spoon tailpiece takes ball-end strings.

Here's the YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8c2CrNd0Q

JEStanek
Apr-14-2011, 1:20pm
Sounds mighty fine.
0p8c2CrNd0Q

Jamie

KanMando
Apr-14-2011, 1:52pm
A fine addition to the Commodium line. This begs the question: Is there a Commodium mandocello in the works?

Bob

Jill McAuley
Apr-14-2011, 2:37pm
Sounds awesome!

Cheers,
Jill

Keith Cary
Apr-14-2011, 4:18pm
I'd have the same problem that I'd have with a Commodium guitar--- there doesn't seem to be an oversize bedpan out there. I've looked, phoned up the companies, so far no dice. I did make a Commodium guitar, and the customer liked it a lot, but I wanted more low end.

Paul Busman
Apr-14-2011, 5:48pm
Keith-- how does one get a Commodium? As a hospital OR nurse, I'd REALLY love one!

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-14-2011, 7:05pm
I'd have the same problem that I'd have with a Commodium guitar--- there doesn't seem to be an oversize bedpan out there...

Then I guess a Commodium mando-bass is out of the question.

Seriously though, nice work on the dola.

Randolph
Apr-14-2011, 7:11pm
Keith, Way cool sounding instrument. What about splitting the difference between mando and guitar and creating a 21" (or thereabouts) scale octave commodium? Just being able to tell folks that you play "octave commodium" is almost worth the price of admission.:grin: And, if the bottom end is ok at that scale length I bet it would sound pretty good.

JEStanek
Apr-14-2011, 7:32pm
Builder's website (http://keithcary.com/Keith%20Cary/Commodium.html).

Jamie

Keith Cary
Apr-14-2011, 10:33pm
Randolph, I've made one or two octave mando Commodiums, as well as a tenor 4-string and a 5-string. I and the customers have been very satisfied with the results. I'd certainly like to make more octave Commodiums. Octave mandos tend to be a little on the quiet side. Not so the Commodium octave mando-cannon.

Keith Cary
Apr-14-2011, 10:36pm
Paul, email me at kcary@dcn.org. I've built them for doctors and nurses before, and yes, I do have a small and clean supply of used bedpans. (though I have a large supply of new/old-stock, made in USA, bedpans.)

F-2 Dave
Apr-14-2011, 11:11pm
Keith, Way cool sounding instrument. What about splitting the difference between mando and guitar and creating a 21" (or thereabouts) scale octave commodium? Just being able to tell folks that you play "octave commodium" is almost worth the price of admission.:grin: And, if the bottom end is ok at that scale length I bet it would sound pretty good.

Cracks me up when people talk about the 'bottom end' on a commodium. Just sayin'.

Sound clip sounds really cool, BTW.

bratsche
Apr-14-2011, 11:51pm
Cracks me up when people talk about the 'bottom end' on a commodium. Just sayin'.

Sound clip sounds really cool, BTW.

The part that .. ehm, "cracks me up" (do I want to say that? :) ) is where he noted that "this instrument uses the full pan." :redface: :))

It does sound good (butt for the visual, that is... ) LOL - don't get me started.

bratsche

jasonv
Apr-15-2011, 12:00am
Keith, great job, as usual! I guess I'm the proud owner of the sole tenor guitar Commodium. It hangs in my office with pride and everyone who comes in ends up picking it up. It usually takes them about 45 seconds to realize what the body is made from!

Tracey
Apr-15-2011, 12:16am
Well I think that is very cool. As an old OR Tech, I didn't have to mess with bedpans much. Still.... One of these days I gotta get me either a Commodium or Octive Cammodium. Thanks for the update.

Tracey
Apr-15-2011, 12:22am
I think what blows me away on these things, and makes owning one so attractive, is the weird mental side step you have to do to reconcile how good the instrument sounds, with the materials from which it is made. And the spoon tailpiece it just icing on the cake. Mr Cary, I raise my glass in salute to your craftsmanship and inguinity. When finances allow I plan to comission one of your fine instruments.

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-15-2011, 8:30am
No ifs, ands, or butts, I want one of these.

Ken Sager
Apr-15-2011, 12:22pm
My grandfather once made a 6-string electric Gui-toilet out of a toilet seat. It sounded and played like crap, and I wish I knew whatever happened to it. True.