PDA

View Full Version : Doyle Lawson recommendations?

levin4now
Feb-16-2004, 2:21pm
My local purveyor of fine bluegrass recordings has a number of Doyle Lawson recordings on hand now, and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations? I love great harmonies, and I love great mandolin. .. Will I find both here?

AlanN
Feb-16-2004, 2:38pm
For the Doyle style of picking, get his Tennessee Dream LP from the 70's, now out on CD. Classic tunes, all written by him, with a top-flight band - J.D., Jerry Douglas, Kenny Baker, etc.

ManjoMan
Feb-16-2004, 4:58pm
I recommend his first albums which are available on
CD as a double album set. These feature great harmonies
with some of his best and creative picking. Also, the
"Rock My Soul" CD is great. Don't get me wrong, I think
all of his music is top-notch, but these are my favorites.

GTison
Feb-16-2004, 5:24pm
kept & protected is almost as great as rock my soul.

GVD
Feb-17-2004, 9:16am
I agree with with ManjoMan. The double CD set "DOYLE LAWSON&QUICKSILVER / QUICKSILVER RIDES AGAIN" is definitely worth a listen as well as "ROCK MY SOUL".

After not seeing him for 2 or three years I caught his show last Friday night. "Wow" is about all I can say. If you like harmonies you aren't going to hear any better than DL & QS. My only complaint was they sing so good that they made all the other bands singers sound bad in comparison. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

His new Gibson signature model sure sounded good too.

GVD

Feb-17-2004, 9:50am
My only complaint was they sing so good that they made all the other bands singers sound bad in comparison.

I know what you mean. The graduates of the "Doyle Lawson School of Bluegrass" are the almost the only other groups I listen to.

"Heaven's Joy Awaits" - the all a capella CD is my personal favorite.

GVD
Feb-17-2004, 10:00am
Tim,

Speaking of the Doyle Lawson School of Bluegrass it sounds like Doyles going to have one heck of a show on April 1st in Nashville. He said they're having a DL&Q 25th Anniversary Reunion Show and darn near everybody who's played with him over the years is going to be there that night. Man that's a bunch of talent for one stage to hold.

GVD

Feb-17-2004, 10:24am
His website had originally just given the date without a location and I was hoping for something in driving distance but Nashville is a little too far for me right now.

tiltman
Feb-17-2004, 12:34pm
"Hard Game of Love" is an excellent disc.
One of my all-time favorites!

levin4now
Feb-17-2004, 2:06pm
Tim'n'VA

The website says Smithfield, NC later this month doesn't it? #That is just south of Wilson on I-95. #I realize that is probably 3 hours for you, but that's better than Nashville.

oops sorry. I thought for some reason you were in Richmond VA. My mistake.

alan

Feb-17-2004, 2:11pm
I'm almost in DC. We were talking about the 25 year reunion show on April 1 in Nashville with a lot of former band members.

bnjrpkr
Feb-19-2004, 6:54pm
I agree with GVD's assessment of Doyle's shows friday night.He's got 2 of the best tenor's in the business,in fact they traded off on one song,like two tag team wrestlers.:laugh:
I think my favorite secular album of his is "My heart is yours".
I bought the new gospel album,and the old double LP reissue,both are great.

mandofiddle
Feb-20-2004, 11:55am
I got the DVD "Treasures" not too long ago. Very good DVD, I think from around 91 or so? When Shawn Lane was still with the group...