PDA

View Full Version : 1918 Gibson A model question

Vernon Hughes
Apr-11-2011, 6:47pm
Just picked this up..question is..Is it an old gibson factory refinish? Looks too good and clean (Looks like it could have been prepped better) and obviously very old..Label and FON date it to 1918..Comments welcome..

mrmando
Apr-14-2011, 4:00am
Hi Vernon -- Don't know if it's factory, but definitely a refin. I don't think the soundhole ring is period-correct, so it was likely redone at the same time as the refin ... the ring looks like something from the late '30s if memory serves.

I don't know if it's just the angle of the photos, but the sunburst appears to be seriously off center, which might steer us away from the conclusion that this is factory work.

Vernon Hughes
Apr-14-2011, 5:41am
It's the photo angle..the sunburst is well centered..I was wondering about the soundhole ring as well..

woodwizard
Apr-14-2011, 7:08am
Looks like a refinish to me too. For sure not a period burst color. Bridge not period either. How's it sound? That's the main thing.

Vernon Hughes
Apr-14-2011, 1:43pm
The traverse brace is loose on one end,fingerboard has a serious hump at the body joint,needs a refret and it has some seam separations at the butt end..When I get these issues fixed I'll let you know!

MandoSquirrel
Apr-14-2011, 7:41pm
On that model, the sunburst looks totally & seriously WRONG!

Vernon Hughes
Apr-14-2011, 8:29pm
I agree,but the price was right and it was just to weird to pass up..

woodwizard
Apr-14-2011, 9:06pm
I agree,but the price was right and it was just to weird to pass up..

I know what you mean. I missed a deal on a pretty beat up vintage A model once for $500. It looked terrible. Someone painted it white and not very well but man did it play nice and sounded pretty sweet. Went home to think about it and dicided to make the 3.5 hr drive back up there to get it and it was gone. Even talked to Gail Hester about refinishing it for me. I have the luck of the Irish.
Good luck with that dude, hope it turns out nice for ya.