PDA

View Full Version : Gospel songs for Pentecost service needed

Steve Roberts
Apr-11-2011, 9:22am
You all were great when I needed suggestions for a John the Baptiser song last December, so I am coming back to the well.

Our bluegrass/old time band is doing a Pentecost service June 12th. Need to come up with the music. Gospel readings Numbers- Moses telling the people the words of the Lord. Eldad and Medad get a shout-out.

Acts- When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability.

Powerful stuff.

Ideas so far-

Fiddle tune- Fire on the Mountain

Hymns-

I'll Fly Away
Crying Holy Unto the Lord
Paul Williams' Holy Ghost Excitement in My Soul.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Steve Roberts

Lou Giordano
Apr-11-2011, 10:03am
Some good ones here.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?70761-Classic-Hymns-Standard-amp-Tab&highlight=classic+hymns

Pete Counter
Apr-11-2011, 10:32am
If you have Adam Steffey's "Grateful" Cd, there is a song on there called "Come on down"..it is done by The Lost & Found on "Classic Bluegrass" and "Hymn Tyme" cds. Its up tempo and Pentacostals love it.

Uncle Bob
Apr-11-2011, 10:34am
Walkin' In Jerusalem Just Like John is a great old song. Used to play it at a Church of God church and they loved it

D C Blood
Apr-11-2011, 11:42am
Take Your Shoes Off, Moses
Cryin' Holy Unto The Lord
Echoes From The Burning Bush

Ole Joe Clark
Apr-11-2011, 2:02pm
If you have to old red backed "Church Hymnal" by Pathway Publishing, pgs 6, 52, 110, 120, 92, 312,........ and I didn't even have to open it up. There are bunches in there that we Pentecostals like. :) Of course if you meant the Feast Of Pentecost, you might get other suggestions.

Joe

Steve Roberts
Apr-11-2011, 2:40pm
If you have to old red backed "Church Hymnal" by Pathway Publishing, pgs 6, 52, 110, 120, 92, 312,........ and I didn't even have to open it up. There are bunches in there that we Pentecostals like. :) Of course if you meant the Feast Of Pentecost, you might get other suggestions.

Joe

I should have made it clear- the service will be at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Cleveland on the Feast of Pentecost. So I am looking for hymns about fire, wind, the Holy Ghost, speaking in tongues, taking the word to the world, etc. Also hymns about Moses, Eldad and Medad telling the people the words of the Lord.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Mike Pilgrim
Apr-11-2011, 3:03pm
Hey, Steve -

Much as I appreciate Lou Giordano's reference to my hymn collection (post #2 above - thanks, Lou!), there isn't anything there specific to Pentecost.

A search for "Pentecost" at NetHymnal (http://nethymnal.org/) came up with four pages of possibilities. Pentecostal Power (http://nethymnal.org/htm/p/e/pentecop.htm)might be appropriate for your old-time/bluegrass ensemble. If you find anything there you like, I can make you a chart. Lemme know.

Note: For copyright reasons, I only do music in the public domain (music published before January 1, 1923). Almost everything on NetHymnal is in the public domain. Of course, this eliminates anything contemporary. Sorry about that.

Steve Roberts
Apr-12-2011, 9:05am
Michael-

Thanks for the link to NetHymnal- I've not seen that before and have now bookmarked it for future reference. I have your hymn collection which is great- thanks for your generosity of posting that here on Mando Cafe. And I do appreciate the music in two keys!

Steve

Michael Eck
Apr-13-2011, 12:07am
The Original Carter Family is a great resource.

Working on a Building
Where Shall I Be?
Crying Holy Unto the Lord
Angel Roll the Stone Away
When the World's on Fire
God Gave Noah the Rainbow Sign
Honey in the Rock
On a Hill Lone and Gray
No Hiding Place
etc

Here's a good link for Carter lyrics - http://www.bluegrasswest.com/ideas/carterdex.html