PDA

View Full Version : Red Valley Flat Mandolin

baiyongjie
Apr-10-2011, 3:40am
Here is my Red Valley mandolin I got from the Mandolin Store just a little while back. The picture isn't the clearest, but the wood is beautiful and the woodwork is wonderful. I just started playing five months ago, so I didn't really know what I was buying sound wise, but I couldn't be more pleased with it. Compared to my other mandolin, an Eastman 504, it has a more clear, booming sort of sound. Sorry that's not so descriptive. I'm badly in love with this mandolin. If James Wilson, the luthier who made it, makes a mandola, I have to get it! I can try to answer any questions on it, but Dennis at the Mandolin Store would know better than me! James Wilson has a site for his mandolins (http://redvalleymandolins.com/) under construction, and you can contact him too. He's a real friendly guy!

Jill McAuley
Apr-10-2011, 10:13am
Nice looking flat top you've got there, and great to have such a nice mandolin when first starting out too!

Cheers,
Jill

Ed Goist
Apr-10-2011, 11:55am
Congratulations on the Red Valley mandolin, it's a real beauty!

Clement Barrera-Ng
Apr-10-2011, 2:39pm
baiyongjie: Nice looking mandolin and thanks for sharing the picture. I saw them on the Mandolin Store website a little while ago and have been curious about them. Quick question: You mention that yours is a flat top, but the description on the Mandolin Store says that the top is 'hand carved', which I interpret as a carved top similar to a Gibson A if you will. Did you have a different model than what's currently available? Just curious.

Love to hear / see some sound clips if you have them. Thanks again.

baiyongjie
Apr-10-2011, 6:46pm
Thanks for the replies! I'm really happy to have such a nice mandolin, even though my playing good enough for it. My neighbor hates it, so whenever I see her car leave, I run for my Red Valley and play like crazy until the sad moment I see her come back.

To your question, barrangatan, It is a flat top, and the same "hand carved spruce top" description was listed when I bought mine a couple of months ago, so I think the ones for sale now are definitely flat tops too. I was a bit confused about that when I was buying it, but from what I read around a flat top would also be suitable for what I mostly play (old time). Perhaps it says hand carved because it was planed to thickness by hand? Or just a simple mistake. It's a really nice mandolin if you're interested in a flat top. I love playing mine!

VictorLouis
Aug-17-2011, 1:04pm
Just a bump for this post, this builder, and of course....The Mando Store.
I handled the mando, and the octave recently, and I was duly impressed with their simple beauty, and build-quality. With respect to the octave, I played that next to another octave from a respected maker at well over twice the price. I would buy the Red Valley, and keep the savings. :)

KMB
Dec-18-2012, 11:51pm
Since I visited this thread to gather some insight and information when deciding what mandolin I should go with, I decided to post a reply to sort of Give back (I guess you could say) to this thread, even though it looks like this hasn’t been active in some time.

I decided to go with red Valley Mandolin myself after reading several posts on the Mandolin Café in this thread and a couple others, and visiting the Mandolin Store in Surprise,AZ (I live in phx AZ as well). I chose Red valley because I am a guitar player and the flat top A styles are more appealing to me than the fancier looing mandolins (although I am not against the F styles or what not). I also played several mandolins at the Mandolin Store and I kept going back to the feel of the Red Valley because sound-wise it sounded the best within that price range and felt more comfortable in my hands. I think I tired almost all of the mandolins in that store within my price range. Fact I tried a $3000 O-Hole Collings that didn’t really sound all that different to be honest (maybe others have better ears than me). It goes back to people always telling me it isn’t the price that matters in an Instrument, but the quality. You can have a $5000 guitar that doesn’t sound any better than a $1200 guitar if that $1200 is built to the same quality. So, Do I spend a couple extra thousand just because Colligns or Gibson is stamped on the headstock? Or do I go with what feels good in my hands? Therefore, I decided to contact James Wilson and inquire about my specs. James is a very nice guy and answered all of my questions, even the custom ideas I had for my mandolin. In the end, I think I ended up with a very awesome looking mandolin that puts a lot of the other well known brands to shame in terms of looks. I also feel the Red Valley has a great Sustain, fact I spent 20 minutes just trying different chords just to listen to the sustain. I also noticed the notes have a nice pop and good sound all around, so I am very pleased with my mandolin and would recommend Red Valley.

My Specs:
Sitka top
Figured Mahogany Back and Sides
Wide Nut Ebony Fretboard
Diamond Inlays (I had mine doubled on the 5th which is my personal preference)
Binding and HeadStock Vaneer are Bloodwood (I wanted a redish wood and James nailed this perfectly)
I also upgraded to Gold Tuners

Here are the pictures of My Mandolin:
www.brenton.us/mando (www.brenton.us/mando)
I realize Pictures don’t really capture the true beauty at times but not bad none the less

Behan
Apr-10-2013, 1:55pm
I got a Red Valley octave mandolin a couple years ago and I'm very pleased with everything about it. It feels and plays beautifully. Some of the very best Celtic mandolin players like Andy Irvine, play a flat mandolin similar to this one. Here's a picture of it...

Marty Jacobson
Apr-10-2013, 2:41pm
Sharp looking instrument. Nice home studio setup, too.

Behan
Apr-10-2013, 9:00pm
I forgot to mention that Jim Wilson of Red Valley Mandolins is building me a custom mandolin - with all the best woods, nice inlays and bindings and wide nut (different from my Weber Bridger) for a very good price -- Hard shell case included --- I may have it by the end of this month or early next month -- can't wait to send pictures here and send audio samples!