PDA

View Full Version : New Holst Underway

Dfyngravity
Apr-07-2011, 3:43pm
Well, build number 2 with Steve Holst is offically underway. Check out the wood that we are using for the top......a little burl anyone? I know what you are thinking....burl maple for the top? Well this is going to be a semi-hollow body electric 5 string mandocello.

More photos to come......so stay tuned!70721

Ed Goist
Apr-07-2011, 3:46pm
I really look forward to watching this one come to life!
Please post pics as available, and Congratulations!

Steve-o
Apr-07-2011, 6:09pm
+1 on more pics! That burl figure makes for some sweet eye candy.

calgary.fiddler
Apr-08-2011, 12:35am
Wow burl maple? thats gonna be a stunner, cant wait to see what it will sound like!!

sgarrity
Apr-08-2011, 1:53am
Well this is going to be a semi-hollow body electric 5 string mandocello......70721

Now that's thinking out of the box! Looking forward to finished pics

Dfyngravity
Jul-27-2011, 4:17pm
Well it's been a long while since I have posted. So here are a few newer pics, but Steve has been keeping me in the dark on his progress!!!!!! at least as photos are concerned. I know the top and back have been carved, but I haven't seen photos. The body shape is fairly radical so brace yourself traditionalists.

Here are pictures of the top template and the mahogany body unchambered.

crazymandolinist
Jul-30-2011, 9:29pm
Reminds me a bit of the JagStang. Looks comfy.

Dfyngravity
Aug-02-2011, 6:55am
Reminds me a bit of the JagStang. Looks comfy.

It does have a bit of that Jag-Stang look doesn't it? I was after something a bit more non-traditional, but comfortable to play being that it is going to be a fairly decent size body.

JEStanek
Aug-02-2011, 7:47am
This will be very fun to watch develop!

Jamie

Dfyngravity
Aug-02-2011, 9:38am
This will be very fun to watch develop!

Jamie

This is my 4th custom instrument, but by far the most radical. I have nothing to go by as this is fairly uncharted territory. At least with my other builds I had a pretty good idea of what to expect as far as looks goes. But with this one, I am so anxious to see the next photo, and the next photo. There are a lot of choices I left up to Steve too and he is keeping me in the dark as to what direction he chose, which at times makes me bonkers.

Here's a rough sketch of what the headstock will look like, again a little radical. We are going to use Steinberger gearless tuners so we can have the tuners straight on but running down the middle of the headstock. The area that has "Holst" will be recessed, I think basically the veneer will be cut on that line which will recess that area and possible either expose the wood below or maybe we will use a thinner but different veneer?

Dfyngravity
Aug-03-2011, 6:18pm
Steve just sent an update pic. of the body!!! That burl is really going to pop!!

Dfyngravity
Nov-19-2011, 3:15pm
Up dated photo sent by Steve.

Rvl
Nov-20-2011, 5:37pm
What string gauges will you use?
What is the nut width?
I am really interested in something like this,but will probably have to convert a regular guitar

Thanks

Robert

Dfyngravity
Nov-22-2011, 9:07pm
Nut width is going to be around 1 9/16".

Dfyngravity
Jan-14-2012, 8:04pm
Here are some up to date pictures. Steve is finishing up the inlay on the headstock and will also be doing a little bit of inlay on the fretboard as well.

Ed Goist
Jan-14-2012, 9:27pm
That headstock is one of the most beautiful and unique I've seen!
It's also a very smart design that incorporates both a classic Gibson-like look and a classic Fender-like look.
Nice!

Dfyngravity
Jan-15-2012, 7:40am
That headstock is one of the most beautiful and unique I've seen!
It's also a very smart design that incorporates both a classic Gibson-like look and a classic Fender-like look.
Nice!

Thanks Ed! When I was designing the headstock I knew that I wanted the strings to have a straight string pull. But at the same time I wanted something unique, something no one had. Steve really nailed my vision with this one.

Dfyngravity
Feb-15-2012, 10:23pm
Updated in the e-mando section, so I figured I'd up date it here too! Check out that burl, just a little boiled linseed oil to really bring out that figure.

It's getting close.

Mark Seale
Feb-19-2012, 8:23pm
I'm intrigued to see how the tuners will be placed and ultimately work. Its a beautiful design.

Dfyngravity
Feb-19-2012, 9:34pm
I'm intrigued to see how the tuners will be placed and ultimately work. Its a beautiful design.

Thanks! Steve really does awesome work. I will be using Steinberger tuners like in the picture:82704

Kip Carter
Feb-19-2012, 11:27pm
Thanks! Steve really does awesome work. I will be using Steinberger tuners like in the picture:82704

Those are amazing machines. 40:1 ratio according to the Stew information. Not cheap by any means but that is something. Have they given you anything regarding the weight?
Kip...

Jacob
Feb-19-2012, 11:40pm
Steinberger Gearless Tuner Specs (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html?tab=Specs#details ) weight of set of six ? - chrome, black and gold.

Dfyngravity
Feb-20-2012, 7:03am
Those are amazing machines. 40:1 ratio according to the Stew information. Not cheap by any means but that is something. Have they given you anything regarding the weight?
Kip...

They are really nice. I have seen them on a few guitars and even banjos. With these tuners we were able to get a nice straight string pull through the nut which I like. And I really like how these tuners pull the string down with them instead of wrapping them around a post. I always like trying new stuff.

Mark Seale
Feb-21-2012, 3:48pm
That is an interesting tuner concept. Fantastic.

Dfyngravity
Feb-24-2012, 7:19pm
Picture update from Steve with some finish on it.

Ed Goist
Feb-24-2012, 8:16pm
Ben, just and FYI - I'll be very happy to give this one a test-drive and break it in for you once it's completed.
No problem at all...Just let me know. :grin:

Dfyngravity
Feb-24-2012, 9:05pm
Ben, just and FYI - I'll be very happy to give this one a test-drive and break it in for you once it's completed.
No problem at all...Just let me know. :grin:

Ed, I really can't wait to see it and play it. Steve has really nailed this one. But I'd be willing to let you put it though the paces if you want handle the transportation.

Ed Goist
Feb-24-2012, 9:09pm
It looks fantastic, Ben!
And I look forward to hearing and seeing you play it.
I really look forward to watching this one come to life. Congrats!