PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions for Dagger Gordon

NewsFetcher
Apr-03-2011, 7:57pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
10 Questions for Dagger Gordon
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001336.shtml

Dan Beimborn interviews one of Scotland's most notable mandolin players, David "Dagger" Gordon.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

Jill McAuley
Apr-03-2011, 8:42pm
Really looking forward to Dagger's new recording with son Colin and great to get a wee taster of it via the mp3 that accompanied the interview - great stuff altogether!

Cheers,
Jill

David Surette
Apr-03-2011, 8:46pm
What a great interview. Dagger's a first-rate guy as well as a great player, and nice to see a photo of the happy couple, too. Well-done all around!

rgray
Apr-03-2011, 8:53pm
Enjoyed the interview and music. As great as it would be to hear Dagger live here in the States, it would be even better to take a vacation to Scotland and hear him live. For now I am working through his latest book and learning a lot.

George R. Lane
Apr-03-2011, 10:50pm
I am sorry to say this is the first I have heard of Dagger. I can understand his lifestyle getting int rh way of his music. I have a small farm and raise horses. I enjoyed the videos and I will have to search You Tube.

Ron McMillan
Apr-03-2011, 11:47pm
I too will add Dagger's Scottish music book to my list of things to pick up next time I'm in Scotland, which should be fairly soon.

ron

Paul Cowham
Apr-04-2011, 4:38am
I went to the feis in Fort Augustus in February, and it was a real pleasure to meet Dagger and learn about his approach to music/mandolin playing. I have to say that as well as the mandolin instruction, Dagger was quite the raconteur, his storys mostly about highland culture which really added to the whole experience.

At the end of the feis, Dagger kindly dropped me at Inverness train station and I heard a sneak preview of the forthcoming recording (which was sounding very nice).

Dagger, you're a top man and I hope to run into you again.
all the best,
Paul

Randi Gormley
Apr-04-2011, 9:19am
Wonderful interview. Thanks so much! and the MP3s are really wonderful.

kmmando
Apr-04-2011, 11:19am
A top Jock - get his cds they are excellent!

Jesse Harmon
Apr-04-2011, 7:32pm
Just picked the book up from Elderly today. Enjoyed reading the interview. It brought back our visit to the Highlands a few years ago.

Dave Hanson
Apr-05-2011, 12:28am
Dagger has been around a long time, I have a long playing record from 1985 called ' Dancing Hazards ' by the band Black Donald, featuring a very young looking Dagger playing superb mandolin, cittern, tenor banjo and tin whistle.

Dave H

Tosh Marshall
Apr-05-2011, 12:59am
The book is great and the CD's are great, look forward to the new one.....

Ptarmigan
Apr-05-2011, 3:28pm
Hi Dagger, just so's you know, I've posted a link to this, over on the Mandolin group of The Irish Tenor Banjo site:
http://theirishtenorbanjo.ning.com/group/mandolin/forum/topics/the-dagger-gordon-interview?xg_source=activity

Cheers,
Dick

Scott Tichenor
Apr-06-2011, 6:43am
The folks at Elderly tell me they've sold out of Dagger's book but that more are on order and should arrive by May 3. I think it'll likely be sooner than that. ScotlandMusic.com also has them in stock. I've ordered from them before and it worked just fine. :)

Dagger Gordon
Apr-07-2011, 3:36pm
Thanks a lot for all the kind comments everybody. It was a real privilege to do the interview.

Best,

Dagger

Toby Bear
Apr-25-2011, 4:31pm
Och! Ta play just a fifth that good would amaze me!
Enjoyed reading the interview. I'll probably get all his books and tutorials!
TOBY BEAR

Mandolin Cafe
Apr-03-2018, 6:48am
Noting the anniversary of this fine interview published this date 2011.

Mandolin Cafe
Apr-03-2019, 7:03am
Noting the anniversary of this fine interview put together for us by Dan Beimborn!

Mandolin Cafe
Apr-03-2020, 9:30am
Noting the anniversary of this interview.

Hope all is well in that part of Scotland, a good few miles north of Loch Ness if memory serves us correctly.

Dagger Gordon
Apr-03-2020, 1:55pm
Hi,

Well I'm all right but of course we are in lockdown along with the rest of the country.

We're in the middle of the lambing which is my busiest time of year. I'm pretty much self-isolated anyway as I never really go any further than my fields or the lambing shed. Not been playing my mandolin for a week or two.

Hope everyone is ok in this horrible time, and if you're not then you have my deepest sympathy and best wishes.

All the best,

Dagger

John Kelly
Apr-03-2020, 2:31pm
Hope the lambing goes well. Dagger, and you can manage a few tunes at some point soon. All the best from rural Argyll.

Dagger Gordon
Apr-06-2020, 2:11pm
Hope the lambing goes well. Dagger, and you can manage a few tunes at some point soon. All the best from rural Argyll.

Here's a tune for you John.

https://www.facebook.com/daggergordon/videos/221862302252890/?t=0

John Kelly
Apr-07-2020, 3:57am
So, time for a well-earned break, Dagger, and in the sunshine too. Looks cold as well as sunny, but hey, it's Invergordon in early Spring.
Thanks for posting this joyful wee number.

Mandolin Cafe
Apr-03-2021, 8:45am
Published this date 2011.

Dagger Gordon
Apr-04-2021, 3:56am
Gosh, the years have gone by. Doesn't seem very long ago. Thanks for bringing it up again.