PDA

View Full Version : My Rigel 2003 G5 #2196

dcoventry
Apr-02-2011, 11:10pm
I am a very happy and lucky man for many reasons: A fine family, a fun career, and an overall satisfying life. But let's talk mandolins, shall we?:mandosmiley:

I received my 2003 G5 about 3 weeks ago and to my AMAZEMENT, it seemed to be brand spanking new. Seriously, not a mark of any kind on it:disbelief:. These may be the original strings, and certainly I don't think it's ever been set up, or not in many years. It still plays incredibly well, a little tough up the neck becuase of the string height, but my God, it's gorgeous in looks and tone.:grin:

The acoustic tone is really woody, deep and rich in a way approaching BG sensibilities, and then it takes a most pleasing left turn into jazzy sustain but still crisp articulated notes. The mando is incredibly flexible tone wise if you focus on your right hand. It's really responsive to slight changes. I have held over some of my left hand guitar technique of tremolo and string bends, and they sound great.

The volume can be a little staggering, truth be told. I have had to learn a bit of subtilty with my right hand technique. The tone played quietly is great, the tone played loud is great without any distortion or breakup. I was playing at one end of my house, and my kids upstairs and far away told me to turn down my amp....:cool:

The plugged in tone is just awesome. It's pretty damn acoustic and woody, with just the right amount of "plonkiness" to make it mando-like in a good way. Can go pretty loud without resonant feedback. Sounds good run through a Fender amp with a little chorus, flange, delay and wah. Fun stuff, Maynard.

It's really balanced across the strings and up and down the FB. It didn't appreciate the importance of this until now. No hot spots, no cool spots. The whole package is basically just real easy to operate on; I don't feel I'm fighting anything except my own inexperience.

OK, Pictures!

dcoventry
Apr-02-2011, 11:18pm
Full body shots

Rob Fowler
Apr-02-2011, 11:40pm
Congrats, Dave. Sounds like you got a real winner!

Jill McAuley
Apr-03-2011, 12:05am
Nice looking mandolin, congratulations!

Cheers,
Jill

Ed Goist
Apr-03-2011, 12:26am
Congratulations! She's a beauty.
Sounds like playability and tone are as good as appearance. Excellent.
Enjoy!

dcoventry
Apr-03-2011, 12:29am
It's weird not to have MAS eating my brain. I have a kind of serenity in that I know it's just waiting for me get the best out of it........no matter how long that may take.