PDA

View Full Version : Mike Marshalls New Long Scale Altman

Scotti Adams
Mar-31-2011, 9:16am

Chip Booth
Mar-31-2011, 10:25am
Looks nice. I am curious as to why Mike specifially wants this longer scale instrument.

Jeff Budz
Mar-31-2011, 11:18am
Longer is better?

Keith Witty
Mar-31-2011, 5:19pm
Longer is better?

Only if youre man enough to admit it. ;)

I kid, I kid..

Scotti Adams
Mar-31-2011, 5:51pm
The man has huge hands....probably the reason

SternART
Mar-31-2011, 8:14pm
How much longer is it? He does pretty good on a reg'lar mandolin!
You'd get a bit more room up the neck that way.
I'd think string guage would become an issue.

Chip Booth
Apr-01-2011, 9:58am
I believe I read an interview where Mike said it was going to be a 15" scale length, so not too long, but enough that the E string would need to be failry small. I have a 10 on my 14.5" 4 string mandolin and it works well.

I know the size of Mike's hands is often mentioned, but he is not a mutant or anything, and I am guessing that is not much of a factor. He played my Gil this summer and remarked that he liked the neck and fingerboard size more than his own, that it is wider than his Loar. My mandolin has Gilchrist's wide neck option, and it is certainly wider than average but it's not that big, so he isn't used to playing somethig extreme (like Radim Zenkl). It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about it and what he does with it over time.

yankees1
Apr-01-2011, 10:01am
Longer is better?

It's not the length of the wand, but the magic of the magician!

SternART
Apr-01-2011, 10:12am
It's not the length of the wand, but the magic of the magician!

I take it you're saying Mike is a magician on the mandolin.
I've known 'that' for a long time.

yankees1
Apr-01-2011, 10:14am
I take it you're saying Mike is a magician on the mandolin.
I've known 'that' for a long time.

that too ! :)

MONami
Apr-03-2011, 5:57pm
As the owner of a long-scale Weber custom, I can answer that in general there is no downside to a slightly longer scale.
What you do get is a tad more power & most importantly useable room on higher frets. Oh, and it curbs my MAS, as I only look at mandos with longer scales...and that almost never happens--both of mine were custom.

Looks nice. I am curious as to why Mike specifially wants this longer scale instrument.

Jim Ferguson
Apr-03-2011, 6:19pm
Mike is one of my favourite mandoliners.........it'll be fun to see some video of him playing his new mando when they are available.
Peace,
Jim

bernabe
Apr-04-2011, 3:44pm
The right string break angle over the bridge [less] would play a major role in longer scaled mandolins I would think. Even 10's would seem to be really tight on a 15" scale. Maybe Im wrong as Ive never tried it.