PDA

View Full Version : Humidifer placement in case (Best Location)

P.D. Kirby
Mar-26-2011, 1:24pm
Ok, I used the search function and found a plethora of information on the benefits of using a humidifier and a ton of different types even ones with hydrometers built in but nowhere did I find the information that I seek. Maybe it doesn't matter? On the outside chance that it does please give me guidance.

Phillip :popcorn:

Bill Snyder
Mar-27-2011, 12:10am
I don't know the best place inside the case but I know some (such as Paul Hostetter)would say that anyplace OUTSIDE the case is fine.

rgray
Mar-27-2011, 2:04am
Where it fits. Which in my case the only area is in the space under the neck where I put one of those little clay humidifiers. I sometimes wonder how tight the fit is across the little storage compartment to where the mando body rests and if the fuzzy fur blocks the humidity from circulating. Maybe some things are just not meant to know.

John Flynn
Mar-27-2011, 2:06am
If your case has a relatively decent seal, it shouldn't make any difference. The humidity will distribute throughout the enclosed space over a period of several hours between openings of the case. It's important to be consistent with re-dampening the humidifier to avoid wet/dry swings. It's also important to ensure that no water directly comes in contact with the wood.

allenhopkins
Mar-27-2011, 12:34pm
...It's also important to ensure that no water directly comes in contact with the wood.

That's the only factor I'd give much weight to. And consider that if you're carrying the mandolin around in its case, unsecured objects within the case may shift their positions. I've seen some finish "clouding" caused by sound-hole humidifiers (like Dampit) resting against the finish around the sound hole; not serious damage, but definitely unwanted.

Markus
Mar-27-2011, 1:06pm
To avoid having humidification bumping around the case, I leave humidification at home when I take the mandolin anywhere. In the six or eight hours it's out of the house [at least around here] it's unlikely to run into problems.

Agree with the others about `where' .... not in contact with wood whatever you do.

I've also grown to feel that cases themselves take up a lot of humidity - be careful that in your attempt to keep the instrument humid you don't end up with too much liquid/humidity in the case itself. If you need to provide a lot of humidity to the instrument in the case, I would be tempted to let the case dry out [open to the air] every few weeks - some old cases really stink.

I know personally my mandolin is hung on the wall for 12 hours most days, cased at night during dry winter months ... the case itself gets humidified far more than the instrument. As my case seems new yet, I'm trying to keep it smelling nice.

P.D. Kirby
Mar-27-2011, 3:04pm
Thanks for all the help guys. Being an engineer and having a small machine / wood shop for a garage I went to the local music store with my trusty dial calipers and measured a couple of humidifiers and then made my own using a 3 in. diameter x 3/4 in. thick plastic container that I got from who knows where. I drilled holes around the rim at what would be the top cut a piece of sponge to fit and took some industrial Velcro (just the hook part) and stuck it to the top of the container. It holds on the the fuzzy lining of my case very well. I took measurements of the inside of the case and came up with multiple options for placement. I was afraid of placing it over the sound board portion even though by my calculations there were a couple of places where the clearance would be a little more than an inch. So anyway for now it is placed over the headstock which has the most clearance of any of the possible locations and providing the moisture can migrate throughout the entire case (which is a TKL A style) this should do the trick.
Thanks Again
Phillip

Boomslang
Mar-29-2011, 6:28am
Can anyone recommend a humidifier for a 2 month storage of my Weber? They'll be no one on the property to open the case or check on it. Coming from soggy Long Island (mod to high humidity) to my Az home permanently, (very low to lower humidity). The Oasis OH-6, case humidifier seems to be rated significantly high, but requires a 2 week recharge, and I need 10x the time period.

Bertram Henze
Mar-29-2011, 6:37am
I have a sponge in a small flat rectangular plastic box that fits under the back of my OM in its case near the heel of the neck, with holes in the narrow sides (so the box would need to "stand up" in the case to allow direct water contact, which cannot happen).

John Flynn
Mar-29-2011, 6:43am
Can anyone recommend a humidifier for a 2 month storage of my Weber? They'll be no one on the property to open the case or check on it. Coming from soggy Long Island (mod to high humidity) to my Az home permanently, (very low to lower humidity). The Oasis OH-6, case humidifier seems to be rated significantly high, but requires a 2 week recharge, and I need 10x the time period.

I don't have personal experience with these, but I've been eyeing them for a while. Planet Waves advertises these Humidipaks last 2-4 months and automatically keep the humidity at 45-50% the whole time. Might be your best bet.

http://www.planetwaves.com/PWHumidipakFAQs.Page

John Kinn
Mar-29-2011, 6:45am
I don't know the best place inside the case but I know some (such as Paul Hostetter)would say that anyplace OUTSIDE the case is fine.
So some people think they are uneccesary/doing damage?

Bertram Henze
Mar-29-2011, 7:00am
So some people think they are uneccesary/doing damage?

I guess they can do damage if you overdo it.

When I play my instrument, it is in a humid environment to the extent that my body emits a certain amount of humidity. That is what the instrument should be able to take and that is what a humidifier should reproduce, but not more. Since I have that little sponge-thingy in my case, the wake-up-time of my instrument has shrunk to zero. But I would not make it take a steam bath inside the case.

Eric Hanson
Mar-29-2011, 7:03am
I know that Mike Compton uses a Dampit due to a crack that appeared in his Gil, some time ago.
I like this one from Planet Waves
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Humidifier-Violin-Instruments/dp/B0002CZSVC
Unfortunately it is no longer available.
Haven't ever had a problem with it. It works like some here described with a sponge sealed inside two plastic halves, and filled with a syringe with distilled water.
Best location for me? I have a TKL rectangle shaped case. It fits really well clipped to the accessories container in the case.

Jesse Harmon
Mar-29-2011, 7:19am
I lost the amplification capability on my nylon string Hirade guitar because of a rusty ground wire. I assume it was because of the dampit humidifiers I was using. I had no other ill effects from it and the guitar is in good shape after around 15 years or so. It would cost too much to repair and I have other guitars so I left it as is, minus the dampit and use the clay humidifiers and the oasis sometimes.

mtucker
Mar-29-2011, 8:18am
i've had a bunch of case humidifiers including the (dampit) worm and these work the best for me...Elderly sells them for $7-8 bucks and i wedge them in the foam padding of my Caltons just above the body on the passenger side. They won't leak even under duress and humidification can be controlled by twisting the top from closed to full-throttle.

Brent Hutto
Mar-29-2011, 8:28am
A sponge in a baggie with holes punched in it can hit the instrument however it likes, can lie in contact with any finish indefinitely and does not have to be placed anywhere in particular to work well. The only thing you can do to cause damage with a sponge in a baggie is fail to wring the excess water out before putting it in the case.

My imagination fails as to why any other humidification gadget would be required inside a mandolin case. And I calculate my sponge/baggie humidifiers cost me an average about about a dollar and twelve cents each (plus the three minutes it took me to punch the holes). So it has the "cheap" thing going for it, as well.