PDA

View Full Version : New K&K mounting info

pops1
Mar-25-2011, 12:18pm
I have been working on getting a good sound with a plugged in mandolin for what seems to be forever, and just recently found the secret. K&K recommends to use the tape and use two pieces, but reliability of the tape coming off was my concern, and simply gluing in the pickups was not the warm sound of the mandolin that i was after. By using the recommended two pieces of tape, then super glue gel to glue the tape to the mandolin is the secret. I have talked to Deiter at K&K and they will be adding that info to their mounting instructions. I am posting this for all who are about to install pickups in their mandolins that have the older instructions that just say to use the tape. :)

Markus
Mar-25-2011, 12:28pm
The tape no doubt helps hold it until the superglue gel sets, a nice combination.

Good thinking, and better thinking calling K+K to pass it along for others to benefit from.

Side question:

Did you install these yourself? I'm considering that and my biggest wonder is what you used to properly place the pickups inside the mandolin.
I've never worked through F-holes before ... and getting the pickups affixed well seems to be the largest trick in my case [as my tail-block is already drilled and can fit the plug]. Going to have to practice a bit before it gets to superglue time ...

pops1
Mar-25-2011, 12:39pm
The instructions say to use a bent nail, but i use a sound post setter that i modified and bend so it places the pickup just where i want it and is flat to the inside of the mandolin. You can bend it lots and when it breaks i'll spend a couple of bucks and get another. I do use some putty that i had for another project to hold the pickup to the setter till the glue sets. The tape won't hold the glue, but will hold the pickup and buffer the sound and the glue will keep it where is is supposed to be without letting go.