View Full Version : "Guitar-bodied Irish Bouzouki"

Nov-02-2004, 10:11am
I am set to receive a "Guitar-bodied Irish Bouzouki" is a couple of weeks and I am already sick of fumbling for the best name for the instrument. Bazar, bouzar, bouzouki, guitar shaped bouzouki, etc... What is the best name that you've heard for these? Any suggestions?


Nov-02-2004, 10:33am
A few months back I posted a link to a newspaper article in which the ultra-conservative Mayo Comhaltas secretary, Séamus Duffy, denounced in no uncertain terms the presence of the guitar and bouzouki in Irish music. He described the likes of you and me as being "persons of low esteem and questionable musical tastes", if my memory serves me correctly.

Therefore, since you are about to be the proud owner of an instrument that is the offspring of the two objects of Duffy's hostility, I think it only appropriate that we name it and all like it in his honour - a Manduffy.

Nov-02-2004, 11:00am
Suits me fine. I should get a pick-up installed as well then . . . and run it through a chorus pedal . . .

Nov-02-2004, 11:13am
...and play it with a bodhrán stick...

Seriously though, I've also seen them called Gazoukis. None of those names are very easy on the ear, are they?

Good luck with it, by the way. I've never tried one and am very interested as to how you'll find it. Where are you getting it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Nov-02-2004, 11:01pm
In reverence to Mayo Comhaltas - perhaps simply a Seamus ...

Or Walter. But then, all my instruemtns are named Walter, I hate to show favoritism.

Nov-03-2004, 6:43am
Paul Dolye, Luthier, in Galway, Ireland makes a guitar shaped bouzouki that he calls a 'Goubouki'.

You can see it here (http://www.geocities.com/doyleinstruments/goubouki.JPG)


Nov-03-2004, 7:27am
Is it fair to just call it an irish bouzouki and not worry about it?

Padraig, the instrument that I am getting is being made by a local luthier who made my mandolin. Great quality and great prices - he builds small airplanes for a living and builds mandolins and guitars to relax. I can let you know how it works out, but I have few doubts.


Mike Crocker
Nov-03-2004, 10:37pm
I call mine a guitzouk. Mooh.

Nov-04-2004, 1:55am
I don't like

Bazar => arab word for market
Bouzar => a dirty cow boy in French

Try Guibouki http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Nov-04-2004, 3:50am
Sorry to appear obtuse (or should we called that, 'difficult' - as it's the plain and simple word that everyone understands), but why isn't it just called a bouzouki?

The body shape is similar to that of a guitar, granted. But that's it. The instrument is not strung like a guitar and will not sound like one. So why should there be any connection to it in the name?

As I understand it, the body shape of the original Irish bouzoukis, as designed by Stefan Sobell, were based on the 5 course citterns that he had made previously. The cittern was previously known as 'The English Guitar', but there is no connection with the name 'guitar' or 'cittern' in the name 'Irish Bouzouki'.

Also, in Ireland, where I play my Bouzouki, I never hear the name 'Irish Bouzouki'. Just 'Bouzouki'.


Graham McDonald
Nov-04-2004, 5:55am
If they have four courses of strings and along scale, I just call them bouzoukis. The body shape is more or less irrelevent


Nov-04-2004, 11:07am
It only makes sense.