Scotti Adams
Mar-24-2011, 8:51am
Great Pics

JeffD
Mar-24-2011, 9:07am
Indeed.

Wesley
Mar-24-2011, 3:51pm
So when were these taken? I assume recently. What's the story behind them? Were they performing together?

Scotti Adams
Mar-24-2011, 3:54pm
I believe it was at a IMBA event in the last couple of years. Possibly a New South reunion cuz Crowe is visible in one pic.

SternART
Mar-24-2011, 5:16pm
Those fellas ought to make another duet recording. With instrumental harmonies this time.

Scotti Adams
Mar-25-2011, 6:33am
Those fellas ought to make another duet recording. With instrumental harmonies this time.

Thats a great idea

JeffD
Mar-25-2011, 6:37am

They could do any kind of harmonies they want and I will get the album.

Kevin K
Mar-25-2011, 8:15am
Sure is time for such a thing...

Ken Waltham
Mar-25-2011, 6:44pm
Wow, they really look like a pair of homeless guys to me.....

P.D. Kirby
Mar-25-2011, 7:54pm
Wow, they really look like a pair of homeless guys to me.....

If they are homeless I wanna be homeless too...

HddnKat
Mar-25-2011, 9:01pm
If they are homeless I wanna be homeless too...

As long as I can hang out under the same overpass with them...

chip
Mar-25-2011, 9:14pm
We shouldn't be profiling...:grin:

Bradley
Apr-02-2011, 9:51am
on Tonys face you see years of hard living....great player though and such an icon to our music.

Skaggs a few years ago took a left turn when Monroe passed....I will first say that Skaggs is and always will be one of my fav's. He is one of the major reasons why I quit focusing on guitar and started playing mandolin way back a when. BUT, when Ricky got off on this catching the torch from Monroe and hearing the ancient tones in the bus tires going down the road he really lost me. His new look and persona definitely has caused me to turn him off. He is a man of such talent and such a nice guy, but man why can't he fine normalcy and quit searching for the goofiness that he has been looking for for the past few years.

Cheryl Watson
Apr-02-2011, 9:57am
I love these two guys so much! It surely does not look like either one of them is taking good care of themselves, however, and that has me concerned.

Ron McMillan
Apr-02-2011, 11:22am
Here in Bangkok I bought my first ever Ricky Skaggs CD, a live album recorded in, I think, North Carolina. It put me right off Mr Skaggs. If the music isn't of the 'let's see who can play more notes faster than anybody else' ilk, it is of a maudlin mainstream Country-with-a-bluegrass-twist style that is more boring than listening to paint dry. And in between times there is proselytising that turns me off for good.

Can anyone recommend an earlier album of his when his playing was to the fore? He's clearly a genius, but so far as this particular album goes, he is hiding his genius behind a pile of bluster. (I left it in the car, so can't recall the title; I doubt if it'll ever be played again).

ron

AlanN
Apr-02-2011, 11:37am
Always dug That's It!, on Rebel Records. This was back when he was playing it 'hot'.

almeriastrings
Apr-02-2011, 11:37am
Well... the aforesaid "Skaggs & Rice" is one of the top to lay hands on, also the (very) early one he did with Keith Whitley (Second Generation Bluegrass) is superb, about 1972 I think... and Bluegrass Rules + Ancient Tones are also great.

MandoSquirrel
Apr-02-2011, 4:55pm
Anything by Boone Creek.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-03-2011, 2:11am
Both these guys are in my top 5 players - period !. I take Blueron's point re.'speedy' picking,i don't like to hear it from anybody & there's far more than RS doing it. For some of Ricky's & Tony's best playing,the "Skaggs & Rice" duet album is a must. I have the original LP & it's awesome. For a more recent RS,listen to his "Bluegrass Instrumentals" CD,it's one of the best that i have,& his tune "Monroe Dancin' " from the CD "Brand New Strings" is another great tune to pick,
Ivan

Ron McMillan
Apr-03-2011, 2:15am
Thanks for the tips, Ivan, Mando and Almeria. I'll try to find some of the albums suggested.

ron

David M.
Apr-04-2011, 9:09pm
I loaned my Skaggs and Rice to my ex worship pastor and that the last I saw of it. Even asked for it back a few times. Need to replace it.

They should so another one, for sure.

coletrickle
Apr-04-2011, 9:25pm
Anything by Boone Creek.

For sure. The Boone Creek album "One Way Track" is fantastic.

f5loar
Apr-04-2011, 10:30pm
It's a good thing we know who they are. Anybody outside the bluegrass world would look at those photos and just think it's too old women hugging each other. I guess they are both going through that "mid-life crises" with the long unkept hair styles.

pjlama
Apr-04-2011, 11:33pm
It's a good thing we know who they are. Anybody outside the bluegrass world would look at those photos and just think it's too old women hugging each other. I guess they are both going through that "mid-life crises" with the long unkept hair styles.

:)):)):))

jim simpson
Apr-05-2011, 11:17am
I loaned my Skaggs and Rice to my ex worship pastor and that the last I saw of it. Even asked for it back a few times. Need to replace it.

They should so another one, for sure.

Thou shall not steal - lol

Richard Singleton
Apr-05-2011, 6:57pm
I believe they shared the stage to present an award at the IBMA not too long ago. It was on the radio recently and someone from the stage, perhaps the winner of the award they presented, said something about Mr. Skaggs hair length!

JonZ
Apr-05-2011, 7:03pm
Don't candy coat it f5loar--go ahead and say what you feel!

Mike Bunting
Apr-05-2011, 10:39pm
It's 20011 and hair is still worth talking about?

sparks
Apr-06-2011, 1:01pm
It's 20011 and hair is still worth talking about?

in 2011, it is only if you still have hair to talk about ;)

In 20011, I know I won't be talking about it :grin:

Joel Glassman
Apr-06-2011, 4:16pm
"That's It!" is great--Seems to be out of print, but there is a blog posting of it
you could locate with Google. I wore the grooves off of this one back in the day...