PDA

View Full Version : My first BG clinic

mandobob
Feb-16-2004, 10:44am
While a guitar show raged on the main floor (too many, too loud, too expensive, too much attitude), downstairs was a BG oasis. Bands warming up and playing in the halls, fiddle, banjo, guitar and mando clinics, and performances all day.
Got to sit in a couple including Todd Collins' mando clinic, but I missed Richard Smith's Big Mon lecture. I picked up a copy of Collins' new book on Monroe instrumentals.
Traded my ol Gibson A for an ol Martin A(plus a few $), talked mando all day, and stood a few feet from some wonderful pickers.
Walked out on cloud 9.
Anybody want to buy my guitars?
(that's a joke, and not meant to circumvent the Garage Sale ad policy here).

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandolooter
Feb-16-2004, 11:38am
Sounds like a fun and productive day...and one I spent doing yardwork. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

archjjg
Feb-16-2004, 1:05pm
I'm still beating my head against the walls for missing it yet again, spent the day painting and cussing.

The Gazelle
Feb-16-2004, 4:42pm
Todd is an excellent instructor. I was also at the clinic Sunday and take private lessons from him every other week. It is an hour drive one way for the lesson but well worth it. Also watch for his new book from Mel Bay on Monroe solos in the spring.

archjjg
Feb-16-2004, 10:35pm
in what part of N.J. does Todd give lessons?

The Gazelle
Feb-17-2004, 5:43am
Todd lives in Whippany. You can check out his website Toddcollinsmusic.com

Scott

mandobob
Feb-17-2004, 10:24am
Gazelle; (apologzing first) I was the guy asking all the stupid questions and my mando wasn't in tune.
I'm lucky; Todd is about 15 minutes from me, but you guys have much better access to BG and clinics. Have you been to the Albert Hall?

The Gazelle
Feb-17-2004, 10:46am
I am actually from NW corner of NJ up by Stokes State forest. I have not been down to Albert Hall I do frequent Pocono Bluegrass events out in East Stroudsburg. If you search there is always something going on. Last weekend was actually about a two hour drive for me. As for being out of tune and asking questions, trust me I am still in the exponential stage of learning curve and can use all the help I can get.
Scott

mandobob
Feb-17-2004, 11:15am
Scott
Next time you go out there drop me a PM; I'm in Boonton.
I'm going to contact Todd about semi monthly lesson availability, maybe someday I'll have the courage to bring my mando!
Bob