PDA

View Full Version : Steve Martin and SCR on Colbert show

AlanN
Mar-23-2011, 8:27am
Last night, brief appearance. After sitting through the requisite and idiotic banjo comments from the host, they picked a tune. Not too bad.

What mandolin is the picker on?

rgray
Mar-23-2011, 9:08am
I thought I saw Kimble on the headstock.

Dan Margolis
Mar-23-2011, 9:32am
Yeah, I thought it was a Kimble too. BTW, idiotic is what Colbert does. I loved the way Martin handed him his frequent guest card to punch.

sgarrity
Mar-23-2011, 9:39am
He's picked a Kimble for awhile now. He also has a Kimble mandola.

AlanN
Mar-23-2011, 9:47am
It sounded pretty good, could actually hear it on the unison breaks he did.

MONami
Mar-23-2011, 1:59pm
I think his group his probably cool, but I cannot stand Martin. Figures he plays a banjo.

Jim MacDaniel
Mar-23-2011, 4:13pm
Martin's not a Jerk, he just plays one on TV.

Markus
Mar-23-2011, 5:52pm
Much lesser performance than the one on Austin City Limits this year ... but it was nice to hear him lay out the different styles of banjo playing. A tiny bit of education, pretty uncommon for a late night music spot.

Paul Merlo
Mar-23-2011, 10:12pm
I thought that show was pretty funny too. The interview part drew some chuckles, and felt like Colbert gave a hair of respect to the music the way he let Steve demo his banjos. The part when he asked "different types of banjos?" and Martin replied "as many as you can buy actually" reminded me of MAS, ha ha.

Jubilation Day had some nice pickin, but it took me a minute to warm up to Martin's vocal style. Maybe because he looked nervous at the beginning.

mcasey
Mar-23-2011, 10:37pm
His back up band is "The Steep Canyon Rangers". They are a great band!