PDA

View Full Version : Satie for mandolin?

jaycat
Mar-23-2011, 6:48am
Good morning! Is anyone aware of any mandolin tablature available for Erik Satie's Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes, etc.?

Thanks all . . . jc.

Bob Clark
Mar-23-2011, 8:05am
Hello Jaycat,

I was really excited to see this Satie post. I am something of a Satieophile, my other instrument being the piano.

I am unaware of any Satie tablature, but I can tell you that his music does work out well on the mandolin. I particularly like his Danses de Travers (1-3) from Pieces Froid. The melody line in those passes back and forth from the bass cleff to the treble cleff, which makes them a bit tricky to figure out, but they do work well once you get them figured out.

If this thread does not turn up the desired tablature, I will write some this summer and send it along to the Cafe. I have been writing tab for some 17th and 18th century music and it's a lot of fun. I've been writing it by paper and pencil though and need to get it into the computer. Problem is that I'd rather play than type!

By the way, this is my first posting. I love following the Forum but have never thought I had anything to contribute in the past. Seeing a Satie thread led me to break the ice. Thanks very much for posting about one of my real favorites.

Best wishes,

Bob

jaycat
Mar-23-2011, 8:42am
Thanks for writing, Bob. I figured it was a long shot to turn up any tablature, but thought I'd give it a try. I'm not at a skill level where I can play very complicated pieces (and am not familiar with the Pieces Froid), but while listening to the Gymnopedies (which are of course, sublime) it occurred to me that they shouldn't be too tough to play.

If worse comes to worse, I can get sheet music and puzzle it out one note at a time, as I don't really read. But any tabs you could come up with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! . . . jc.

Jim Garber
Mar-23-2011, 8:42am
Check out the Melonious Quartet... they have a full CD of Satie for mandolin quartet, En Forme De Poire (http://www.cdroots.com/rien-51.html).

jaycat
Mar-23-2011, 8:57am
Too bad you can't the sample the music.

I did enjoy this: "One piece, Misterioso, is by another composer: Thelonious Monk (1917-1982)."

Jim Garber
Mar-23-2011, 9:03am
Too bad you can't the sample the music.

Try this on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/En-Forme-De-Poire/dp/B004IG22FI/ref=tmm_msc_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1300888908&sr=1-3).

jaycat
Mar-23-2011, 9:31am
That sounds nice. I actually listened at the ITunes store.

Petrus
Feb-13-2015, 6:58am
I was just about to post a thread asking this same question when, lo and behold, my Google-fu skills turn up the exact same query from four years before. I didn't find the mando tabs but I found the sheet music and in about ten minutes had the foundation of the melody down. One of the most beautiful short melodies I've ever heard, stunning in its simplicity. But you have to do it slow as intended ... it doesn't work fast!

Top line is the E string. G string not used in this portion as I worked it out.
F# A G F#
..............C# B C# D A
.................................F# F# F# ...

Tab:

................444 (etc.)

That's as far as I've worked it out. After the final low F# trails off I improvise a bit to keep on going.

I was also pleased to discover the Satie album by that mandolin quartet mentioned in one of the posts in this old thread.

Jim Garber
Feb-13-2015, 9:30am
Petrus... which piece are you playing?

David L
Feb-13-2015, 10:14am
He's playing Gymnopedie #1. We play that. Another that works well is Satie's Gnossienne #1.

JeffD
Feb-13-2015, 12:01pm
Butch Baldassari did an album of mandolin and guitar duets with John Mock. One cut is Satie's Gymnopedie #1. The album, called Cantabile, has a tune book that one can purchase, with all the music written out as arranged on the album, for mandolin and guitar.

The tunebook is in standard notation.

I started playing it this last fall and I love the piece. I have a guitar buddy who is threatening to learn the guitar part and play it with me.

ccravens
Feb-14-2015, 9:42pm
Surprised and pleased to see this thread!