PDA

View Full Version : My New Elkhorn F-5

Trey Young
Mar-21-2011, 3:23pm
Well, I've actually had the mandolin for about a month now, but between work, being sick, kids being sick, having a fairly hectic music schedule, etc, etc. I've not been able to share until now. So here it is, Elkhorn #20. Red spruce top, one piece sugar maple back and sugar maple sides and neck, a beautiful varnish finish, fern inlay, elite tuners, abbreviated pickguard, and a james tail piece. The neck on this mandolin is slightly beefier than on my Elkhorn A-5 and this was the first time I've had a mandolin with a pickguard on it, so those two aspects have taken some getting used to. After a month I am fully comfortable with the neck size and am beginning to get comfortable with the pickguard (I think it has helped my right hand technique some in the process). I am absolutely floored by the sound of this mandolin. It is very even across all of the strings and has great note seperation. The bass register has great presence and is very clear. The midrange is mellow, but not at all muddy. The highs are pretty fat, but cut very well. I've played this mandolin at 4 gigs so far, 2 playing into an Audio Technica Pro 37 and with a single AKG 414 as the sole mic for the band. The mandolin mics very well, the only problem has been having to back off the mic a decent bit since this mandolin has a good bit more volume and cut than my A-5. The other gig I used a Baggs Radius mando p'up and the mandolin sounded great, but nothing like it does through a good mic (but I guess we all would have figured on that any way). Well, I suppose I've babbled enough. Here are some pictures and I'm going to attempt to get a video up sometime in the not too distant future.

Trey Young
Mar-21-2011, 3:26pm
Well, I forgot to mention the obvious, I'm not much of a photographer. None of the close ups of the back did the flame justice, so I left them out. These pretty much give a good idea of what the mandolin looks like though.

JEStanek
Mar-21-2011, 3:29pm
Great looking mandolin. How do you like having two Elkhorns?

Jamie

Trey Young
Mar-21-2011, 3:36pm
Hey Jamie,
Thanks! I enjoy having two Elkhorns as they both have a distinct voice of their own. I haven't played the A-5 much since getting the new one. Unfortunatley I think I am going to let the A-5 go. I can't really justify having two really nice mandolins at this point in my life and I hate having a high quality instrument sitting around and not getting played and the reality of finances enters in a big way as well. If money were not an issue I probably would keep the A-5 around and have a great back up mandolin and it would more than likely see a bit more playing time once the new wore off the F-5.

Ben Somerville
Mar-21-2011, 3:41pm
Congrats! She's a beauty! (or is it a he?)

Trey Young
Mar-21-2011, 3:56pm
Thanks Ben, I think this one is a she. Too sweet of a voice to be a he and she likes a soft touch too.

Mike Bunting
Mar-21-2011, 4:37pm
She's a looker all right, I'm glad it's got the tone you like.

Denny Gies
Mar-21-2011, 4:48pm
Nice mandolin, enjoy it.

pjlama
Mar-21-2011, 6:38pm
Sweet! She's a real looker, congrats. I'm loving #21, I can't put it down, it's like crack. I have to force myself to put it down so I can stare at, it's beautiful. Robb has got it together in both sound and looks, I'm sooooo pleased.

Dan Margolis
Mar-21-2011, 6:42pm
Beautiful instrument. I looked at the Elkhorn site again last night. He makes some spectacular-looking mandolins.

Trey Young
Mar-22-2011, 7:48am
Thanks everybody! Mike, this one definitely produces the tone, that I feel, a mandolin should have. PJ, I know what you mean about being torn between playing or staring at the mandolin. That's why I try to find a mirror and do both! :))

Randi Gormley
Mar-22-2011, 8:05am
Lovely proportions. Congrats!

pjlama
Mar-22-2011, 2:43pm
Thanks everybody! Mike, this one definitely produces the tone, that I feel, a mandolin should have. PJ, I know what you mean about being torn between playing or staring at the mandolin. That's why I try to find a mirror and do both! :))

Too funny :)) seriously look at this thing, it's off the charts.

Trey Young
Mar-22-2011, 3:16pm
Too funny :)) seriously look at this thing, it's off the charts.
Yessir!:grin:
Hey PJ, if you're interested there is a Elkhorn Mandolin social group here on the Cafe.

Wanderer
Mar-22-2011, 9:15pm
Drop dead gorgeous! Congratulations.

Trey Young
Mar-23-2011, 3:23pm
Thanks Wanderer. I emailed Robb to see if he had any close up pictures of the one piece maple back, that were of better quality than what I have. To which he replied with these...

Trey Young
Sep-08-2011, 1:22pm
So 6 months ago I said I was going to upload a video of my then new mandolin, well...better late than never!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHdpcoezmsc

Six months into owning this mandolin I am still extremely pleased with it. It has been fun to get to know this mandolin and to hear it change as the wood gets used to being a musical instrument and not a tree.

pjlama
Sep-08-2011, 1:32pm
Sounds good!