PDA

View Full Version : Having difficulty getting contact with Stefan Sobell

Cathal Whelehan
Mar-21-2011, 9:13am
Hi.

I suppose a more accurate subject line would probably be that I seem to be having trouble getting a response from Mr. Sobell.

I contacted him well over a month ago by e-mail (using the address on his website) asking for some basic details on a large-body mandolin I'd like him to build for me, also giving a brief description of a very minor change I'd like to have with regard to inlays and asking if there were options on body finish, but have heard nothing back. I sent a second e-mail to the address on his site about a week ago, but still there's not a peep to be heard.

Is this sort of delay in replying normal or have I in some way 'insulted' him (entirely unintentionally) by asking for different inlays / finish options?

I did read on a different thread (from Jan this year) that he's just recommenced building citterns/bouzoukis "following some sort of injury" but can't quite gauge whether this might also be part of the reason (or why it should be) - still, I feel some sort of brief ackowledgement that my request has been received isn't too much to expect.

Can anyone with some experience of dealing with SS perhaps give me a clue as what I need to do?

Many thanks in advance
Cathal

mtucker
Mar-21-2011, 12:59pm
call him.....he may not do email .. http://www.sobellinstruments.com/Contactme.aspx

Cathal Whelehan
Mar-21-2011, 3:20pm
thanks mtucker, but I already tried the phone on two or three occasions in the week I sent the initial e-mail but nobody answered. I tried once in the meantime but same result.

At the time I wasn't sure if he'd maybe gone on holiday so I decided to put all my info and special requests in an e-mail in the belief that this would actually be quite helpful to him in the long run. Admittedly I haven't tried the phone route more recently.

In the thread I mentioned above (about his having started building citterns etc. again), the OP said he'd received this news from SS by e-mail so he doesn't appear to be entirely allergic.

I'm just a little baffled/disappointed/mildly annoyed - I can't quite place the exact emotion - that I appear to be being ignored and, based on my assumption that good communication is pretty vital throughout the building process, this current state of not even being able to get off the ground doesn't really bode well and is - if I'm absolutely honest - extremely offputting.

I must admit that even if he e-mailed me right now or I reached him by phone tomorrow morning, I'd still have this worry that communication will be scant.

I would be grateful of some cheery words from other Sobell owners if possible (preferably to the effect that what I'm experiencing is some kind of anomoly, that it'll all be alright and that I should stop acting like some big girl's blouse about it) as it's a Sobell I've set my heart on.

Ryk Loske
Mar-21-2011, 4:32pm
Cathal,

I have NO experience with Sobel.

If a Sobel is what you have your heart set on ... you may want to consider Nigel Forster who worked with Stefan Sobel from 1988 to 2003. His web address is: nkforsterguitars.com. I have no experience with Forster's work either but have heard that it compares very favorably with Sobel's and is "of the same school".

Good luck on your quest,

Ryk

Cathal Whelehan
Mar-22-2011, 4:35am
Hi Ryk, thanks for that suggestion. I did have Nigel Forster on my watch list some time ago as he certainly seems to produce some really outstanding work - some mouth-watering bouzoukis in particular - but at some stage I became rather fixated with the idea of Sobell and all others were simply forgotten. Was nice to browse around his site, watch his youtubes and read his blog again though, so it's certainly re-awakened my interest.

On the Sobell front I've since had a mini-success (well, I'm calling it one) in that the phone was actually answered by an answering machine this morning (on previous attempts the phone simply rang out) and I was at least able leave a voice message pointing him towards my previous emails, so I'll wait to see what fruit that bears first before I return to the shortlist stage. Thanks again though.

PseudoCelt
Mar-22-2011, 12:46pm
Ever since I joined the Cafe, there have been occasional threads about people unable to contact Stefan Sobell. I don't own a Sobell, but I've emailed him a few times (though not recently) and always got a reply in a day or two, even when asking him about used instruments where he had nothing to gain financially.

Did you put something obvious like "mandolin" in the subject line of your email? If his email is on a website, he may have a lot of spam to deal with. Not sure what the problem is, but I don't think he's deliberately ignoring you.

Hope the phone call works

Patrick

trevor
Mar-22-2011, 1:06pm
I know Stefan a bit, he is a very nice guy. I don't think he would ignore you. I know he has computer problems sometimes, like we all do.

Ray(T)
Mar-23-2011, 10:01am
I'd second what Trevor says, I emailed Stefan a couple of years ago trying to track down a mutual friend and he replied promptly. He does live and work in the middle of nowhere and could well be having computer problems (they still use wet string up there!) or your question might not be one he can answer instantly. Alternatively he could be taking some time off or actually building instruments.

Kevin McELvanney
Mar-23-2011, 3:26pm
Ray, the wet string must work a treat. I'm about 6 miles down the road from Mr Sobell.:)

allenhopkins
Mar-23-2011, 4:06pm
...I'm about 6 miles down the road from Mr. Sobell...

So, jog over to his house and tell him Cathal's trying to reach him!

Kevin McELvanney
Mar-23-2011, 4:31pm
:))Jog!, maybe a brisk power walk!

trevor
Mar-23-2011, 4:42pm
Get on yer bike..

Cathal Whelehan
Mar-24-2011, 8:17am
Not on my account though please. Nearly 6 weeks of waiting has been enough, if I'm honest. I'd already reached the end of my patience when I posted here (otherwise I wouldn't have posted) but this communication issue has now moved me to abandon commissioning a new Sobell. I'm certain SS is an extremely busy man and all that sort of thing and the point of this thread was never to personally badmouth him in any way or form, but there's only so much effort a person can expend trying to get in contact with someone and I've done all I'm prepared to do in this case. I'll keep my eyes peeled for used Sobells in the future.

Anyway, I've decided to spread the love (my budget) instead, to include a much better (than current) 'off-the-rack' mandolin (or maybe a fantastic pre-loved luthier build), a good short-scale tenor banjo, overhauls/repairs to my guitars (neglected for far too long), possibly some new amps and other gadgetry and, who knows, maybe my better half may get a weekend away somewhere too.

It's all good. Thank you all for your replies / suggestions above. Very much appreciated.

Jill McAuley
Mar-24-2011, 10:46am
Maybe finance a holiday to The Acoustic Music Co. in Brighton? Oh, and regarding good short scale tenor banjos, keep your eyes peeled for a used Oakwood - that's what Angelina Carberry plays, she let me play it once during a lesson and that thing was the business!

Cheers,
Jill

Cathal Whelehan
Mar-24-2011, 12:46pm
Thanks for that tip, Jill. I really like the look of Oakwood's mandolins too - particularly the Nova model and in terms of price, they seem well worth a punt at around 750 quid. I'll be travelling over to England for the FA Cup semi finals next month (come on City!!) so if I manage to tag a day onto the trip, I might hire a car and shoot up there to have a hands-on look at them. I hadn't previously noticed they also make banjos, so that's an interesting discovery.

So - quite shamelessly hijacking my own thread - has anyone played / listened to an Oakwood mandolin? The claim on the website is that they're good in volume "with that distinctive cut". Would love to hear an opinion or two on them.

Jill McAuley
Mar-24-2011, 12:51pm
Oh, dead jealous that you're getting over to the FA Cup semi finals - I'll be watching at the pub meself...
Haven't played any of Oakwood's mandolins - I'll be interested to hear what folk have to say about them as well.

Cheers,
Jill

Dave Hanson
Mar-25-2011, 3:51am
Oakwood are top class instruments, the ' Nova ' is particularly well thought of here in the UK.

I tried out a second hand Oakwood in The Music Room in Cleckheaton a couple of weeks ago, wonderful instrument, went home and thought about it for a few days then went back to buy it, too late, it had gone.

Dave H

Talabardio
Mar-29-2011, 6:51pm
I used to be a Sobell dealer and have worked with Stefan extensively over the years, although not recently. A more genuine, wry and gracious human being you will not find... I don't know what might be wrong with the communication, but if you are frustrated and are looking for a good quality instrument with the mark of Sobell, you might try his long-time assistant Nigel Forster, who has been working on his own now for several years. www.nkforsterguitars.com/

Talabardio
Mar-31-2011, 2:28am
I had forgotten, another maker of high quality instruments is Fletcher Brock, fletcherbrock.com