PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin moon

D C Blood
Mar-20-2011, 6:04am

Mandatory mandolin content: We were just about to go on to play our show when I took these...

Mandolin Mick
Mar-20-2011, 6:10am
I went out to look for it this morning ... but it's cloudy ... :(

journeybear
Mar-20-2011, 8:18am
Beautiful photographic series there. I was working, but wish I had remembered about this. I had a break around sunset and could have biked over to watch the moon rise over the sea. At least I did go out at night when it was high above. Really bright, significantly brighter than normal. I will have to take another look tonight at the moonrise. Should still be compelling and awe-inspiring.

It seems to me a song could be composed about this extraordinary occurrence (eighteen years since the last one of this magnitude, nearly six till the next one). There are already songs titled "Mandolin Wind" and "Mandolin Rain," nice enough, but neither have much to do with mandolins. We can do better if we put our minds to it. :mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
Mar-20-2011, 8:53am
... june ... spoon ... spittoon ...

JeffD
Mar-20-2011, 9:03am
I have read where the March full moon is called the Worm Moon – as the earthworms appear to the joy of the arriving robins. Friends I have call it the Lenten Moon. Indian tribes of the north, I found on some website, called it the Crust Moon, because the snow gets crusty with the thawing every day and refreezing every night.

But this is just any full moon in March, not the perigee moon we saw last night.

More mandolin content - I was noodling around with my bowlback last night in the light of the moon, and for a moment felt very very ancient.

r1yalg_Apdw

Markus
Mar-20-2011, 10:36am
It seems to me a song could be composed about this extraordinary occurrence (eighteen years since the last one of this magnitude, nearly six till the next one). There are already songs titled "Mandolin Wind" and "Mandolin Rain," nice enough, but neither have much to do with mandolins. We can do better if we put our minds to it. :mandosmiley:

Ol' Bill wrote Moonlight Waltz, that's a pretty high bar to get past and a pretty awesome mandolin moon song.

Charles E.
Mar-20-2011, 5:48pm
My wife and I watched it rise over Atlantic Beach, NC, forgot the camera! :(

But loved the moon rise. I told her it was Cosmo's Moon ( from Moonstruck )

JEStanek
Mar-20-2011, 9:33pm
It's been a great weekend for lunar gazing. This one is from sunset on the 18th in my neck of the woods. Your shots are great.

journeybear
Mar-20-2011, 9:53pm
Ol' Bill wrote Moonlight Waltz, that's a pretty high bar to get past and a pretty awesome mandolin moon song.

Isn't that an instrumental? Perhaps we could just set words to that tune. :mandosmiley:

Well, we don't have to set the bar that high, nor anywhere. It's just a matter of evoking a certain feeling or occurrence, choosing the right imagery, rhyme scheme, meter, melody, chord progression - you know, just nuts and bolts. ;)

As Bette Davis says at the end of "Now Voyager, "Don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars."

8WjWfAlpFOM

(Sorry about the video; only Bill Monroe version I could find)

jim simpson
Mar-20-2011, 10:03pm
Here is my first mandolin, there is a mandolinist playing to the moon in marquetry. My next mandolin, a Monterey/Harmony was an upgrade.

JeffD
Mar-20-2011, 11:31pm
My wife and I watched it rise over Atlantic Beach, NC, forgot the camera! :(

But loved the moon rise. I told her it was Cosmo's Moon ( from Moonstruck )

La Bella Luna

D C Blood
Mar-21-2011, 4:27am
Another one from this morning...