PDA

View Full Version : Wood sources?

Paul Busman
Mar-18-2011, 5:17am
Any of you luthiers care to share your sources of nice timbers with a whistle maker? To make a whistle (check my signature) I need pieces 1x1x12". I can rip 2x2s on the band saw if necessary. I'm looking for exotic, dense woods with tight, smooth grain. Thanks

slausonm
Mar-18-2011, 5:36am
Any of you luthiers care to share your sources of nice timbers with a whistle maker? To make a whistle (check my signature) I need pieces 1x1x12". I can rip 2x2s on the band saw if necessary. I'm looking for exotic, dense woods with tight, smooth grain. Thanks

I am not a luthier, more like a luthier in self training. I am a musical instrument repairman and a collector of flutes as well as a teacher. I purchase exotic hardwoods from Memphis hardwood lumber in Memphis NY. About a three hour drive from Clifton Park I think. The owner has been in the business for a long time. He ships mail order, all over the country. If you have the need for laser engraving he can do that as well. I purchase wood for making flute and piccolo head joints and other instrument parts from him. He has a website, but you might do better googling him and getting a phone number and talking about your needs. He stocks some pretty exotic stuff.

Matt

Spruce
Mar-18-2011, 8:36am
This (http://www.woodfinder.com/) is a good site for finding wood sources...

Also, check with Gilmer woods in Portland, OR....

Paul Busman
Mar-18-2011, 3:09pm
Thanks so far guys. I just got a new computer and one thing I didn't salvage was my Firefox bookmarks :-(
I did know about woodfinder, but that was one of my missing bookmarks. That place in Memphis looks interesting, and might be worth an overnight road trip in the spring.

slausonm
Mar-18-2011, 4:28pm
Paul at memphis lumber is a good guy and an honest businessman. You'll want to call before coming. He does open on Saturday, but does not advertise as being open on Saturday. There is a motel in Elbridge which is about 6 miles from his shop if you decide to make it an overnighter. I'd love to see your penny whistles if you make it out this way. I'm about 12 miles from his shop. I'll give you a tour of the mandolin "factory" at school :)
Matt

Paul Busman
Mar-18-2011, 5:49pm
Thanks-- I might take you up on that.
If you're ever in the Albany area, you (or any other forum members) are welcome to come visit the Busman Whistles factory aka my basement ;-). Bring a mando/flute, whatever, and we can play some tunes.