PDA

View Full Version : R.E.M.`s New Album "Around the Sun"

Plamen Ivanov
Nov-01-2004, 10:06am
Hello,

I expected the appearance of this album impatiently and I was really hoping, that there will be some tracks with mandolin playing inside. The songs are great, but I couldn`t hear Peter Buck playing the mandolin. I think, I listened the whole album very carefully. Pity! Do you think the mandolin makes R.E.M.`s songs more attractive, more pleasing or they are just great with, or without mandolin?

Good luck!

jmkatcher
Nov-01-2004, 10:11am
I came to the mandolin via a strong R.E.M. influence, so I'd vote that they, at least historically, enhanced the music.

squeally dan
Nov-01-2004, 4:47pm
REM has recorded lots of albums. They have lots of songs, but don't they only have 1-2 songs with mandolin? Most folks that like their music, like it regardless of what instruments are on it. I don't think the casual listener even notices.

Plamen Ivanov
Nov-05-2004, 2:25am
Right, Dan! That`s an objective opinion. We, the mandolin lovers are inclined to overrate the mandolin and it`s really rare appearance in the pop and rock music.

Good luck!

mikeomando
Nov-07-2004, 11:12am
Peter Buck went through a mandolin phase on, like 1.5 of their records. He's back out of it now. The Disc with "Losing my religion", if I'm not mistaken, is the one with all the mando.

Plamen Ivanov
Apr-03-2008, 3:43pm
Hello,

The new REM album "Accelerate" is already on the market. Any comments, before i buy it?

Best,
Plamen

allenhopkins
Apr-03-2008, 4:32pm
Saw R.E.M. on Stephen Colbert's show last night. He asked them if there was much mandolin on their new album, and they said, "No." He then asked, "So, you're sticking to instruments made in this century?" or words to that effect. Subtle "dis" of the mandolin.

Plamen Ivanov
Apr-03-2008, 4:36pm
Thanks, Allen!

Alex of the North
Apr-03-2008, 10:34pm
When "Out of Time" (the one with all the mandolin) came out, I remember reading an interview in which Peter Buck called it their 'baroque' album.

Zako
Apr-03-2008, 10:42pm
This century? That would exclude the guitar, the piano, the violin, the saxophone, the bass, drums...come to think of it, everything that's not a synthesizer or an artificial producer of sound.

frankblackcat
Apr-05-2008, 2:58pm
[This century? That would exclude the guitar, the piano, the violin, the saxophone, the bass, drums...come to think of it, everything that's not a synthesizer or an artificial producer of sound.

Edited by Zako on April 03 2008, 23:42 ]

Synthesiser? That's so twentieth century. Is there anything new from the last 8 years? Sorry, forums bring out the pedant in me.

But what I really meant to say is there's a bit more REM with mando than Out of time, two or three on Green too.

Walter Newton
Apr-10-2008, 11:04pm
They were interviewed on "Fresh Air" yesterday and Teri Gross specifically brought up the mandolin, Peter Buck said he's played mandolin maybe 50 hours total in his life - 49 of which have been doing "Losing My Religion" on stage at practically every show they've done since the song came out...

(PS, fellow REM fans from way back when - check out this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA57Pafq_NU))

Bryan Monarch
Apr-10-2008, 11:19pm
Haha Allen, I was watching that show too, I was very dissapointed in that response. My roomate said it was because they knew I was watching it since (he thinks I'm the only one in the world that plays Mandolin, and refuses to budge.) Stephen, you jerk, I love you, but that was a low blow.