PDA

View Full Version : New Monroe youtube video

Rob Fowler
Mar-14-2011, 3:09pm
Hi all,
Here's a new video about Bill from Blues DVD.COM. It was just posted on youtube 10 March and it's the first I've seen of it so maybe it's the first time you've seen it, also. Cheers.

BTW, is Bill playing his F5L in this video?

f5loar
Mar-14-2011, 3:32pm
This is excerpts from the High Lonesome film with maybe some of the cut out from that film. Most of the newer stuff was from 1989.
The only mandolin I saw him playing throughout the 11 minutes was the July 9, 1923 F5 side bound Loar mandolin. It showed a photo of him holding it when he first got it in 1945 and some scenes from the 60's and some from the post firepoker days. It is rather dark to see in places but the flowerpot stands out as well as the "Bill Monroe" signed truss rod cover which first appeared on the headstock repair from 1980.

hank
Mar-14-2011, 3:36pm
Really good video Rob. Thanks for sharing.

300win
Mar-14-2011, 3:36pm
Thanks for this. First time I've seen it.

Rob Fowler
Mar-14-2011, 4:33pm
The only mandolin I saw him playing throughout the 11 minutes was the July 9, 1923 F5 side bound Loar mandolin. It showed a photo of him holding it when he first got it in 1945 and some scenes from the 60's and some from the post firepoker days. It is rather dark to see in places but the flowerpot stands out as well as the "Bill Monroe" signed truss rod cover which first appeared on the headstock repair from 1980.

Thanks for the clarification on that f5loar. Much appreciated.

evanreilly
Mar-14-2011, 4:51pm
Looks like Tater Tate on fiddle; Blake Williams on banjo, Billy Rose on bass and Tom Ewing on guitar for the opening edition of the BGB. The Rowan-Greene band plays 'Bluegrass Breakdown'.

However..... whomever put this up on Youtube stole the video content from Rachel Liebling's film High Lonesome.

f5loar
Mar-14-2011, 11:08pm
They do give full credit to the High Lonesome film at the very end so must have been done by permission. And that is not the Rowan Greene line up but rather the short lived Pete Rowan-Gene Lowinger-Don Lineberger-James Monroe line up. What is impressive is the mid 50's clip showing the twin fiddling of Bobby Hicks and Charlie Cline on Roanoke. Monroe's break on that is pretty stout and powerful.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-15-2011, 2:04am
Shortly after that line-up came the Peter Rowan / Richard Greene / Lamar Grier / James Monroe line up that came over to the UK in '66.
I believe that Gene Lowinger quit the band only a month or so prior to their visit,
Ivan

jclaudew
Mar-16-2011, 3:29pm
great thanks alot

mandobassman
Mar-17-2011, 11:53am
This is excerpts from the High Lonesome film with maybe some of the cut out from that film. Most of the newer stuff was from 1989.

Did Bill ever actually use his signature mandolin that came out in the early '90s? I played in a band with someone who had one and it was nothing to shout about. I recorded a CD with that band and at the time I was playing a Kentucky KM-850. I recorded all of the CD with that mandolin except for 2 songs that I used the Gibson. You would think the Gibson would stand out on the recording, but it's really hard to tell the difference between the two. I'm sure there were some good ones but that one was average at best.

f5loar
Mar-17-2011, 1:52pm
Bill did have 2 of the Monroe models that were given to him by Gibson. One was a prototype and the other a standard model. Both were sold at the estate auction. Amy Grant bought one of them as a Christmas gift for her husband Vince Gil. The other went to an unknown collector of F5s. Bill did on occasion especially right after he got them play them on stage. Not often but like when Derrington did tweaking on his Loar for a few days he would pull out either one of his Monroe models or his '78 F5L. I've seen several photos of him on stage with the Monroe models. I even saw him on time with one and was disappointed he did not have his Loar. As far as sound he sure sounded like Bill on his models. Generally these being carefully built signature models that commanded a higher price the factory in Bozeman, MT made sure these were right before shipping out the 200 models they made. Most were varnish and a few were lacquer. The varnish models I've heard were fine mandolins. The few lacquers I heard were more like a standard F5L. It could be you heard a lacquer model. It could be your friends model never got a proper set-up. But out of a batch of 200 there has got to be some dogs in the lot. Mother nature dictates that little known fact.

mandobassman
Mar-17-2011, 9:27pm
Thanks for the info. Actually, the guy I know that had the Monroe model (#182, I think) was from Houston and his son-in-law was the mandolin player for Karl Shiflett for several years and also worked for The Warrior River Boys as their banjo player for about 3 years (some of which was with Tom Ewing after Monroe's passing). He also worked as the set up and repair guy for Fuller's Vintage Guitar in Houston, so I'm sure it wasn't a set up issue. I just remember my expectations from a $8500 mandolin and being very disappointed with the sound. I know one other guy from Texas that had one but never had the opportunity to play it.

evanreilly
Mar-18-2011, 9:58am
Would that be Randy Lindley(sp - ?)?

mandobassman
Mar-18-2011, 11:29pm
That it would. I played in a band with his father-in-law, Jamie Sloan, for 9 years and with Randy for about 5. Learned a lot about mandolin and bass playing from Randy.