PDA

View Full Version : In praise of an Eastman

JeffD
Mar-13-2011, 3:05pm
My friend and mandolin duet partner plays an Eastman 505, made in 2006.

That thing sounds great. Amazing great. Too easy to play too loud, wonderful tone, chunky without any tinny rattle. Its a very handsome instrument too. Both for chords and individual notes the thing really sings.

It struck me this morning, as I was mucking about with mandolins, what a find it is, and how under rated it seems to be. Many a discerning mandolinner would be ecstatic happy with this particular instrument.

Of course it has been professionally set up.

Caleb
Mar-13-2011, 3:28pm
That's the exact model and year Eastman I have. Sounds like your friend stumbled upon a very good one.

Jeff Budz
Mar-13-2011, 3:38pm
I now have three, and am very happy with them. Some setup, fretwork, tone gards, and aftermarket bridges can really make them shine. For the price of a low-end Collings or Webber I can have the sounds of a F style w/ F holes, A style w/ Oval holes, and a Mandola. If they made an OM I would probably by one of those too.

clarksavage
Mar-14-2011, 11:29pm
I remember Carolyn's Eastman sounded pretty good, but don't recall if that was the model she played. Hey, I'm coming east again this summer and bringing my "The Loar" 700, I may stop by!

Clark

Rick Cadger
Mar-15-2011, 7:14am
Eastman mandolins just seem to have a bit more to them than most of the other entry-level import mandos. Although some strike me as better than others, I've yet to play one with which I would be dissatisfied as an owner.

My newish 515 seems to be a little different to other Eastmans I've had. The neck is just a little chunkier (which is fine with me), it seems to work well with J75 strings, whereas the others all preferred J74s. The set-up I've dialled into this one is a little different to my usual set-up as well. This mandolin seems to prefer very little neck relief. I usually put in a fair bit so I can really thrash the first position open chords. If I flatten the relief too much on my KM-505 the bass strings tend to rattle a little on the middle frets, but the 515 doesn't rattle at all. Maybe it's the different string gauges...

I would say that, without exception, swapping the so-so stock bridges out for CA replacements has been a must for me. The stock bridges often have the saddle screwed up a little high and they can tend to lean more than many. The bridge on my 504 was particularly bad in that respect. It really needed a tall boy saddle.

Markus
Mar-15-2011, 8:40am
It struck me this morning, as I was mucking about with mandolins, what a find it is, and how under rated it seems to be.

I played a new 505 last summer that impressed me, it was not the first of the 504/505 series I've liked.

Locally, all the Eastmans are sold by the good local instrument repair shop ... pretty much every local Eastman has been through a good setup out of the gate.

I get the feeling they require this to really shine - those who have seen well tweaked Eastmans seem to find great joy playing them.

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-15-2011, 10:39am
I think they are a fantastic starting point and because of price are worth keeping, rather then trading or sell for the next

Jill McAuley
Mar-15-2011, 11:09am
I'm playing an Eastman 805 at the moment and have to say I've been quite pleased with it. I was already getting swayed towards the world of f-holes prior to it's arrival and it's making me like them more and more.

Cheers,
Jill

JeffD
Mar-15-2011, 11:47am
I remember Carolyn's Eastman sounded pretty good, but don't recall if that was the model she played.

The very one.

Caleb
Mar-15-2011, 12:27pm
I think they are a fantastic starting point and because of price are worth keeping, rather then trading or sell for the next
Not necessarily to take issue, but I see this line of thinking a lot here and it just doesn't make any sense to me. I fail to see how something would be worth keeping because of a cheap price. In all reality, most cheap things are not worth keeping at all. Maybe some folks just have a hard time believing that an Eastman (or Kentucky, or whatever) is just a good instrument on its own. Not "for the price" or "to start out with" but just to make music with. I've played better mandolins than my Eastman, but if it was the only instrument I could own for the rest of my life, I could still make great music and never miss a step. Not everyone is waiting for the "next one"; some folks are just getting on with making music on what they have.

dcoventry
Mar-15-2011, 12:44pm
" Not everyone is waiting for the "next one"; some folks are just getting on with making music on what they have. "

I pray to acheive this level of deep understanding and patience one day. Soon? But for now, MAS with extra sauce!

Grasshopper

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-15-2011, 12:51pm
I've played better mandolins than my Eastman, but if it was the only instrument I could own for the rest of my life, I could still make great music and never miss a step. Not everyone is waiting for the "next one"; some folks are just getting on with making music on what they have.

I agree and understand that.

Caleb
Mar-15-2011, 1:18pm
I agree and understand that.Though I would be happy to babysit your Red Diamond if you ever need some help in a pinch...
:whistling:

JeffD
Mar-15-2011, 1:20pm
Though I would be happy to babysit your Red Diamond if you ever need some help in a pinch...
:whistling:

:))

Rick Cadger
Mar-16-2011, 5:15am
^
^
LOLz!

JeffD
Mar-16-2011, 5:21am
Not everyone is waiting for the "next one"; some folks are just getting on with making music on what they have.

Inspired me to write a blog (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?400-The-Next-Level).

Caleb
Mar-16-2011, 8:03am
Inspired me to write a blog (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?400-The-Next-Level).

Excellent blog; I really enjoyed it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you really should consider putting your thoughts into book-form. I would read it.

JeffD
Mar-16-2011, 8:31am
I would read it.

I will consider it. I'll put you down for one copy. :)

I appreciate your kind words, (and similar I have received from others.)

But hey, writing books can seriously cut into your pickin time!

JeffD
Mar-16-2011, 8:36am
Locally, all the Eastmans are sold by the good local instrument repair shop ... pretty much every local Eastman has been through a good setup out of the gate. I get the feeling they require this to really shine - those who have seen well tweaked Eastmans seem to find great joy playing them.

I agree. Based on the instruments I have heard and played, and especially this particular 505, with a good set up, there is no compromise at all. Have to say you could spend twice as much and not be as happy.

Caleb
Mar-16-2011, 9:01am
I've played quite a few nice mandolins, but in all honesty there was only one that I liked better than my 505. It was a beast of a Collings MT at FQMS. I've never had anything else like it in my hands. Whoever ended up with that one got a real gem. Many have sounded "better" than mine, but I am just used to it and like to play it.

Tracey
Mar-16-2011, 3:12pm
I started out with a POS Johnson. A cheap instrument in every sense of the word, but it got me started. When I began looking for an upgrade the Mandolin Store made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a georgous blond 905. Given my extremely limited exposure to mandolins in general, I am very much in praise of Eastman. It will take a long time for my abilities to catch up with all my blonde girlfriend is capable of. Unless of course I win a Webber. I'm thinking a honey blond Fern A would be nice. Smile....... Hmmm, better be careful, wouldn't due for my blonde girlfriend to think I have a wandering eye.

JeffD
Mar-16-2011, 3:16pm
Given my extremely limited exposure to mandolins in general, I am very much in praise of Eastman. It will take a long time for my abilities to catch up with all my blonde girlfriend is capable of.

And even then you will have plenty of reason to love her and keep her.

I'm thinking a honey blond Fern A would be nice. Smile....... Hmmm, better be careful, wouldn't due for my blonde girlfriend to think I have a wandering eye.

One of the fun things about mandolins is that you can "cheat" on one with another and it always forgives you and lets you come back.

Tracey
Mar-16-2011, 3:25pm
I will causiously consider you advice on infidelity. However my recent experience with my wallet leaves me skeptical. I had two hours to kill in DFW last week. My wallet is a worn out overstuffed lump, so while I was killing time in the Brookstone store I found a nice replacement, but decided to wait a few weeks before purchasing. They were closing for the day so I decided to be productive and catch up on my expenses and receipts. Which I did. And in the process laid my wallet down beside me at the gate, finished my paperwork, shut down my pc, packed up and walked away, leaving my wallet behind. Didn't figure it out till I got home and reached for my wallet to pay the taxi. I figure my wallet was jealous, over the new wallet I was looking at and dumped me. Luckily a very nice lady from Gainsville recovered it and is returning it.

I sure don't want my blond girlfriend to get jealous. She might refuse to stay in tune, or get really upset and pop a string.

JeffD
Mar-16-2011, 3:30pm
I figure my wallet was jealous, over the new wallet I was looking at and dumped me. Luckily a very nice lady from Gainsville recovered it and is returning it.

:))

I sure don't want my blond girlfriend to get jealous. She might refuse to stay in tune, or get really upset and pop a string.

What mine seem to do is try extra hard to win me back. Or is that my incredible ego reading into things, again.

Tracey
Mar-16-2011, 3:42pm
They must like your touch....

ColdBeerGoCubs
Mar-17-2011, 11:47am
I have to say, after a few weeks of owning one, I'm really still digging it. I was a bit weary before I ordered it thinking there was no way it could compare to the build of my Breedlove. But after a few weeks with it, I'm enjoying playing it more everyday. I bought it as a way to kind of test the waters with an F-hole instrument and have been pleasantly surprised ever since. It's one of those things, I played a bunch of mandolins that I like better, but they cost more. And I know myself and the life this instrument will see, that along with the cost and the surprising sound of this thing, and I have to say I'm happy. And my wallet won't force a bowel movement if something happens to it on the river. Actually probably more than happy, with all the frustration that comes with trying to understand music and learn an instrument, every time I pick this thing up I want to just keep going-as bad as I am. Sure The Collings or Stiver could have done that too, but they wouldn't be making any of the summers journey's with me.

almeriastrings
Mar-18-2011, 1:41am
Instrument buying/selling/playing/collecting is an interesting study in psychology....

There is huge, often overwhelming concentration on "brand names", models, and "image" (who plays what). Manufactures of course know this and exploit it to the max, hence so many endorsement deals. Many players feel inferior/inadequate if they are not seen with one of THE names... it is a powerful draw to keep on "upgrading".

Trust me on this... only after you have spent about as much as your house is worth, and been through countless instruments, does the truth of this finally sink in! ;)

Just the other week I did a gig with my wife, she was playing her Martin custom shop OM-42, and I had my Breedlove Roots prototype 'dread... after, this guy comes up and says "why is she playing a better guitar than you?"

My answer: she isn't. They are both great guitars. I asked him why he thought the OM-42 was better... did it sound better... no... did the Breedlove sound bad? No. But... it "wasn't a Martin!"

OK.

Perfect example of this mentality. As it happens, have several very fine Martin's, but I honestly rate the Breedlove up there with the best of them (and that includes a 1950 D-28 and a '39 D-18). It plays great, it sounds great, and I am not risking $15-30K every time I travel with them.

I also (until not long ago) had a Weber Big Sky. Nice mandolin, but I just could not "connect" with it. It was not for me. I then picked up a used Kentucky KM-1000, really just to see how I got on with it (the price was so good I knew I could resell easily with no loss if it did not work out). After a bit of setup... wow.. I'm seriously impressed. I prefer it to the Weber. There. I said it.

I too have seen some really outstanding Eastman's, Kentucky's, etc. Fine instruments in their own right. The problem is not in the sound or quality, but in our minds... that label means SO MUCH!

JeffD
Mar-18-2011, 10:52am
The problem is not in the sound or quality, but in our minds... that label means SO MUCH!

This kind of thinking may have had some validity in the past, some, but today here in the golden age of luthiery, individual and small shop builders are able to do things reiliably and repeatedly as good and better than any established brand. There are lots of great choices, and enough individual variability that any instrument, with a decent set up, may infact be a killer.

I recently heard a Collings guitar that sounded better than a lot of Martins I have heard. I have also heard some Martins that could melt me.

almeriastrings
Mar-18-2011, 12:19pm
Absolutely. Not only are the skills much more widely taught, but makers also have access to some very sophisticated, precision tooling and even CNC machines. Reliability and precision has never been better. Of course, the individual luthier can add other touches.. tap tuning, experience, plain old "gut instinct" too... but, when you look at some of the things available now, you can see why there are knockout quality instruments available like never before. 70 years ago, you could either afford a Martin or Gibson or were shopping by mail order catalog... and some of that stuff (with notable exceptions) was pretty dire! Not a lot of choice at the quality end.

pager
Mar-18-2011, 12:31pm
I am a huge Eastman fan, and have often stated that on this forum. I have also noted that I make my living as a musician, and use an Eastman 515 - as well as a Collings mandolin. My Eastman is equal to the Collings. I have taken some heat for that comment by people that cannot or will not understand that concept. My Collings set me back about 5k. I also use a Gibson Byrdland when I play jazz. Also a great instrument, but I consider the Eastman a "great" instrument as well. I will not add the useless comment that it is a good instrument "for the money". That trite statement really makes me sparky. Either an instrument is great, or it is not. My Eastman is a great instrument. Period.

Jillian

Caleb
Mar-18-2011, 12:38pm
...but I consider the Eastman a "great" instrument as well. I will not add the useless comment that it is a good instrument "for the money". That trite statement really makes me sparky. Either an instrument is great, or it is not.
Jillian
I could not agree with you more.

JEStanek
Mar-18-2011, 2:19pm
I've been very happy with the two Eastman mandolins I have owned (814 and 805D). I let the former go and still really enjoy playing the latter. The set up was done very well by Dennis & Co. at the Mandolin Store and the neck is comfortable and the sound is very good to me.

Douglas McMullin
Mar-18-2011, 2:31pm
The few Eastmans I have played have been remarkably good with one very recent exception. I just picked up a used 805D, that to my ear isn't very strong. It might be one that would benefit from a better bridge, but I am not sure I wan't to bother with that. Will put some new strings on before deciding, but I think this one might be heading to Ebay. It is a nice playing mando though.