PDA

View Full Version : My First Mandolin

Wayne Bagley
Mar-12-2011, 11:10am
I have been playing mandolin for two weeks and I have purchased my first mandolin.
I am aware that it is not the highest quality instrument such as many of you are used to using but we all have to start somewhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/waynebagley/Cove_Creek_TMAS_NAT.jpg

It's a Tanglewood Cove Creek mandolin that's Solid Mahogany throughout.
It has a great sound, looks great and feels good.

I really like the sound of a mandolin and now that I have discovered it I hope to be playing the rest of my life.
I'm 54 and have been playing guitar for a year now.

I have visited this site many times so I finally decided to join the forum and hopefully do some posting. I'm sure as a beginner I'll have many questions.

Thanks everyone.
Wayne

PS Is there a section for beginners on the forum? Beginner resources?

billkilpatrick
Mar-12-2011, 11:33am
you wouldn't want to see my first mandolin ...

welcome to the club - "ffcp" and "newbies" groups in the "social groups" section of the cafe might prove useful.

Ed Goist
Mar-12-2011, 12:34pm
Hi Wayne:
Welcome & congratulations!
That is a fine looking mandolin. I own an all mahogany guitar that I just love the sound of. I bet your mandolin has the same woody, warm tone.
Again, congratulations.

SHORTY
Mar-12-2011, 2:35pm
I was a late starter myself, 60 now. My first was a Jones A mandolin. Then I learned a few notes and MAS took over. Now I build my own and take lessons at ETSU and with Adam Steffey. It's all been fun.

Wanderer
Mar-12-2011, 2:58pm
Great looking mandolin and I'm sure that all mahogany sounds fantastic. At 54, you're still pretty young to be starting out on Mando. I'm several years north of that and just started a few weeks ago. It is great fun.

Jesse Harmon
Mar-12-2011, 3:33pm
Started at 71 and counting--------that's actually a really cool looking mando for a starter, bet it sounds pretty good. My biggest problem is getting a balance between the info on this sight and playing. Enjoy-----I am really enjoying it.

Wayne Bagley
Mar-12-2011, 7:07pm
Thanks for the comments and the welcome.

I really didn't know much about mandolins when I made my purchase. I knew I wanted an A shape and I really liked the look and sound so I made my purchase. I also picked up a couple of beginner books and started into it.

I am enjoying it and haven't picked up my guitar for two weeks. (I'm getting behind in the guitar lessons and I'm going to find myself in trouble with my instructor!)

Mandolin Mick
Mar-12-2011, 7:13pm
Congratulations! Enjoy the mandolin and don't feel bad if you lose your interest in the guitar! :mandosmiley:

JEStanek
Mar-12-2011, 7:16pm
Welcome to the world of mandolins and the Cafe.

Jamie

Denny Gies
Mar-12-2011, 7:33pm
Another congratulations. You will have a blast, and by the way, that is a lot better looking mando than my first one. Have fun.

Gary Watkins
Mar-12-2011, 7:38pm
Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe!

rgray
Mar-12-2011, 7:49pm
Welcome and no need to sell your mando short. Aside from the fact that it is a great looking instrument, you like it. I hope you enjoy many years of mandolin-playing - either with this particular instrument or any other you may acquire.

Didge
Mar-16-2011, 3:10pm
Haha, sounds like we started within a couple days of each other. And I must say, your mando looks a lot nicer than mine. I hope this instrument brings us both years of enjoyment :mandosmiley:

JeffD
Mar-16-2011, 3:17pm
Very handsome mandolin. You can do a whole lot worse.