PDA

View Full Version : EastmanMD615/KentuckyKM1000/Loar LM700

jab
Mar-10-2011, 5:47pm
These mando's seem to be "remotely" in the same price range. Opinions on the differences between the 3? Would like to hear your preferences too but I know it's all subjective and will have to hear & play them for myself. Tracking them all down to play will be the challenge.

Thanks for the input.

ebeja
Mar-10-2011, 6:08pm
quote "and will have to hear & play them for myself."unquote
Do this and you will have your answer.

ColdBeerGoCubs
Mar-10-2011, 8:44pm
About a month ago I was trying to decide if I wanted to add an F-hole to the team or go with an OW or a teens Gibson oval. I decided I should give an F-hole a shot but didn't want to jump in head first. I had played a KM-1000 before and really liked it, plus its neck was similar to one of my ovals. It sounded pretty good and played about the same, looked decent and pretty well finished. I then got to play an Eastman and something about how "quick" it was just did something for me, so I bought it. It's a 515, which according to the wealth of information on here (a nod in JES' direction) told me that all the Eastman models were the same, the only differences were the appointments, binding, etc. Which was perfect for me because I don't like back or headstock binding.

Anyway, I found the 1000 to be a bit "woofier" with a more profound G-string, but less clarity on the A and E. It was loud, but not as loud as the Eastman. The Eastman was a lot quicker off the bat, loud and seemed to have more definition on the D and A, with a slightly less pronounced E. The 1000 was a Moose the Eastman a wolf, to use a really bad analogy. I played a Loar at Elderly a few weeks ago and it didn't do anything for me, mostly because the neck just wasn't comfortable, but they get rave reviews here and this is a trusted source. Of course, understand that my time with the Loar and Kentucky were really really limited, so its really not fair to judge them based on the few minutes I had with them, the Eastman I own, so I can speak more about it.

Regardless I think you would be happy with any of them as there as good as its going to get in this price range, unless your not dead set on a scroll or a wide neck, then I would also check out the Breedlove OF. The only downside I can find with the 515 is that it makes me want to get a Stiver that I tried, but I need to achieve some level of skill before I do that.

Rick Cadger
Mar-11-2011, 3:29pm
You can't go far wrong.

I've played a KM-1000 and liked it. I've played a good LM-600 (not quite a 700) and liked it. I own an MD-515 (not quite a 615) and like it.

Based on that, I think you need to play to decide which you prefer because they are all good.

The Kentucky and Eastman are likely to start out tight and a bit lacking in depth. The Loar may sound a bit fuller from the outset. Eastman and Kentucky mandos open up and mellow as they get played.

Brent Hutto
Mar-11-2011, 3:35pm
The Loar has fatter frets than the other two, if that matters one way or 'nother...

Steve Ostrander
Mar-11-2011, 3:49pm
If I had to pick one without playing I'd take my chances on the km1000.

JEStanek
Mar-11-2011, 4:21pm
For comparrisons without holding similar priced well made instruments in hand, ask yourself in the morning when getting dressed can you tell the difference between dark brown socks, dark blue socks and black socks. I think that's similar to this question. They're all a little different and may have different voices but you'll have to decide if the voices and neck profiles, fit and finnish differences between them matter one way or another. The Eastman, only one I have experience with, has a pronounced V neck and skinnier fet wire.

Jamie

f5loar
Mar-11-2011, 6:42pm
I would think the 1000 would be closer to the Eastman 815. Are we talking used or new here?
For me the 1000 has the best home run batting average. More likely to get a good one with Kentucky then Eastman. They feel better made and look better to me and for an added bonus you get all that fancy pearl inlay in the head.

MOJOHAND40
Mar-11-2011, 6:57pm
I don't think any of the three is always going to be better then the other two. You got to go play some mandos and then pick. When I bought my Eastman MD515, I kept trying it out and then trying out a MD615, another Md515, a Michael Kelly and a few others.
In the end I picked my particular 515. It wasn't the most expensive nor the cheapest of the ones I tried. Wasn't even the best looking, but it sounded best to me.
Different mandos are going to sound different (i didn't say better...though to my ear the 515 I ended up with sounded the best) even if they are the same make and manufacturer.

almeriastrings
Mar-14-2011, 3:46am
All I can say is... you have a very wide choice now from some really very nice instruments at incredibly reasonable prices. Way back when... in the days of yore when I started out playing/collecting/repairing instruments your choice was pretty much restricted to a) absolute garbage made of plywood or b) high end new or vintage. The middle ground was pretty barren. Really, what you can get now from the likes of Kentucky, Loar, Eastman, etc., is pretty amazing, especially once you get up to their 'top of range' lines. To really beat them you have to pay an awful lot more. Nice materials, good quality construction/finish and very playable. Some of them can hold their own in very 'serious' company. The main thing they lack is a name that says "I cost a big pile of bucks!"

TDMpicker
Mar-14-2011, 5:48pm
I have both a km1000 and an LM 400. I like em both. Slightly different sound but both clear and bold. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Kentucky.

P.D. Kirby
Mar-14-2011, 7:11pm
I would think the 1000 would be closer to the Eastman 815. Are we talking used or new here?
For me the 1000 has the best home run batting average. More likely to get a good one with Kentucky then Eastman. They feel better made and look better to me and for an added bonus you get all that fancy pearl inlay in the head.

f5loar, since you didn't mention the LM700 could one assume that you dismiss it from being worthy of consideration against the MD615 and the KM1000. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth (more like reading between the lines). I consider your expertise in these matters to be above reproach and in my short time being a member here I have come to place a great deal of weight in your opinions. I have only had a chance to really play one of the three the OP has asked about (KM1000) and was extremely impressed with it. I had a brief opportunity to noodle around with the LM700 maybe 10 minutes and was also impressed with it's tone and playability, the fit and finish were outstanding on both. The reason I bring up the question is the LM700 appears to be highly regarded by many of the members of the Cafe and I just found it odd that you didn't mention it. Sorry for the long winded interruption.
Please carry on
Phillip

f5loar
Mar-15-2011, 2:05am
The 700 is top end for The Loar and it's also a made in China but not same factory. The one's I've seen had thicker lacquers and necks. The 1000 is a thicker neck then say a real Loar but that may be a good thing to many but the lacquer is thinner. You could get one of each being pretty equal but your chances of getting a good one in a 1000 is better then in a 700. I like them both but if buying for somebody else I would go with the 1000 and it seems I'm not alone in that assement.