PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ellis A5 owners

adlerburg
Mar-07-2011, 4:21pm
Hi,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a beautiful Ellis A5 ... My first A style mando. I've always had F style, but really wanted an instrument from Tom, and the A5 was what is financially feasible at this point.
My question is regarding the strap... where do you guys attach the neck end of the strap? I've read a bunch of threads relating to this on A style mandos... strap buttons on the neck, heel, strap at the nut, around the body under the fingerboard ext..... but I'd really like to hear how you Ellis A5 owners have addressed this on this specific instrument... thanks in advance
-Mick

Martin Stevens
Mar-07-2011, 4:36pm
I don't know anything about A style straps but I wanted to say a preemptive congrats on your Ellis!

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-07-2011, 4:40pm
I can say a Ellis A was way up on my list, second only to my Red Diamond and that was personal.

You are going to be very happy.

In regards to the strap I tie a string around the head stock.

George R. Lane
Mar-07-2011, 4:46pm
I don't have an Ellis A5, but I do have a Weber Vintage A and I had a strap pin put on the treble side of the heel. If you are worried about possible resale then use the shoelace trick around the headstock. Oh, by the way congrats on a fine mandolin coming your way.

billhay4
Mar-07-2011, 4:52pm
Tie a piece of rawhide thong around the body and under the fingerboard extension. Attach the strap to this. Gives the best balance and the rawhide will not mark the finish. Nylon or any other kind of string will.
Bill

adlerburg
Mar-07-2011, 4:56pm
I don't have an Ellis A5, but I do have a Weber Vintage A and I had a strap pin put on the treble side of the heel. If you are worried about possible resale then use the shoelace trick around the headstock. Oh, by the way congrats on a fine mandolin coming your way.
I'm really skeptical about putting in a strap button there as I don't want it to impede my playing at all. I do play in the upper registers quite a bit. In your experience, do you feel it?

Chris Biorkman
Mar-07-2011, 5:10pm
I think it's best here. I'd let a professional do it. I made the mistake of trying to do it myself one time.

adlerburg
Mar-07-2011, 5:17pm
I think it's best here. I'd let a professional do it. I made the mistake of trying to do it myself one time.
Hey Chris... you got your Heiden I see... how do you like it compared to your Ellis?

ellisppi
Mar-07-2011, 5:17pm
Just as billhay4 says. Leather boot lace under the fingerboard ext.

adgefan
Mar-07-2011, 5:21pm
I have an Ellis A5 and I tied the strap under the fretboard extension with a shoelace.

adlerburg
Mar-07-2011, 5:35pm
Thanks Tom! (and everyone else!)
-Mick

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-07-2011, 5:37pm

And that first class service from Tom.

Dobe
Mar-07-2011, 6:41pm

I could swear that was my Nugget-is it yours Chris ? Full shell & wire hdstock w/ no Nugget logo ?! Never played an Ellis , Mick, but I bet your Collings is a little nervous about an extended hibernation !

:)

Dan Margolis
Mar-07-2011, 6:56pm
I have an Ellis A5 and I tied the strap under the fretboard extension with a shoelace.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/guitarmando1/Ellis%20A%20Special%202xx/DSCN0231_01.jpg

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-08-2011, 2:20am
I fitted a strap button to a once owned Weber "Beartooth" which did a perfect job & looked very neat.But i think that if i could afford an Ellis "A" style,i'd go with the strap under the fingerboard extension these days.
I've been drooling over the Ellis "A" style that's in stock at TAMCO in the UK.Unfortunately,i'd have to trade in my Weber "Fern" for it,as it's worth more than my Lebeda. I'm not certain that i want to do that just yet, & my Lebeda's going nowhere !,
Ivan

Chris Biorkman
Mar-08-2011, 2:37am
Hey Chris... you got your Heiden I see... how do you like it compared to your Ellis?

Both are great. When you get to this level, there isn't really such a thing as better imo. Just different. The Ellis had a darker, more modern sound. The Heiden is more traditional in tone.

adlerburg
Mar-08-2011, 9:35am
Both are great. When you get to this level, there isn't really such a thing as better imo. Just different. The Ellis had a darker, more modern sound. The Heiden is more traditional in tone.
Obviously 2 builders putting out stellar instruments... and I agree about the quality thing, I wasn't asking which was better..just a comparison of the two relating to the virtues each possess. Thanks

mritter
Mar-08-2011, 10:13am
I have a Kimble A that came with a strap button already installed.

I have an Ellis A and use the strap under extension method mentioned above. I have found, and I think you will too, that the mandolin is better balanced using a strap in this fashion (assuming you're not interested in attaching to the headstock).

Further, I will give my pitch for Ellis instruments as you seem to be interested. I own two and have a third in the works. I'm sure you'll be pleased with any one of his.

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-08-2011, 10:18am
Obviously 2 builders putting out stellar instruments... and I agree about the quality thing, I wasn't asking which was better..just a comparison of the two relating to the virtues each possess. Thanks

Three

JeffD
Mar-08-2011, 11:03am
I tie on the headstock just above the nut under the strings. When I use a strap which is hardly ever.

mandowilli
Mar-08-2011, 11:58am
I bought my Ellis solely on recommendations of Cafe members and have no regrets. You will not be disappointed!

Here is how my strap is attached.

Capt. E
Mar-08-2011, 2:03pm
Tie a piece of rawhide thong around the body and under the fingerboard extension. Attach the strap to this. Gives the best balance and the rawhide will not mark the finish. Nylon or any other kind of string will.
Bill

Doing the strap this way gives you a balance that is very close to that of an F model with strap attached to the scroll.
Maybe just call Tom Ellis and ask what he recommends. My guess would be the above.