PDA

View Full Version : teens and 20s F models vs teens and 20s A models

red7flag
Mar-07-2011, 7:33am
While some state there is little difference in f hole models between A and F style mandolins, I see a big difference between F4/F2 and the A models that I have played. One big difference is the shape of the neck. But the major difference I hear is in the tone, especially in the bass notes. The F4/F2 I have played seem more smooth and less rumbly (not sure if that is a word, does not show up in the spell checker, but those who have played As will know what I mean). Also, the Fs seem a bit smoother across the registers. The trebles a bit less sharp. I don't mean this as a slap to the lovely teens and 20s As that I love to play. Just seem different. That is my take. Chime in.

Big Joe
Mar-07-2011, 8:00am
That is a fair assessment. They are not designed quite the same. The body cavities are quite different in size and several other items that are different. Both are great instruments, just different. Personally I like the tone of the oval A's from that era better, but that is totally personal. All of them are very nice and can be a lot of fun to play. Some of the newer A's and F's... especially the F hole... have a much closer sound to one another but part of this is the fact the body cavity is much closer to the same size.