PDA

View Full Version : Arches or Old Wave

Stinky Old Hat
Mar-06-2011, 8:53pm
After having three children my wife has decided to bribe me. A certain operation in exchange for a mandolin. I think I have it narrowed down to an Old Wave or an Arches A model. Any thoughts from owners of both would be appreciated.

JEStanek
Mar-06-2011, 9:44pm
I've played examples of both (Old Wave Mandolins and Mandola) Arches Octave Mandolin. Both builders (Bill Bussman and Chris Baird are great guys and post here often). I honestly don't think you could go wrong with a build from either. The only difference I can put a finger on, is Chris seems to do more custom inlays and things than Bill does. Each builder makes a great looking and sounding instrument.

I think in this case, the best thing to do (after you've played one or two of each builder's work) is call them up and interview them and go with the one who clicks best with what your build goals are. Before you call them up, figure out what it is you want (sound wise and looks wise and have a budget).

Jamie

FWIW, I would be ridiculously happy with an instrument by either of them.

dcoventry
Mar-06-2011, 10:03pm
HAt,

What?? Your nuts..........not to take that deal. Not a bad trade, in my opinion. A mando in the hand is worth two in the bush, or something like that!!

Tom Humphreys
Mar-07-2011, 2:16am
Is there actually a vas deferens between the two?

dcoventry
Mar-07-2011, 2:47am
Tom,

That. Was. Awesome. It took balls to sack up and make that pun.If a were feeling more testy I might have tried, two.

dave

John Flynn
Mar-07-2011, 4:49am
I have an Old Wave and I've played an Arches. You really can't go wrong either way. One thing I admire about Bill Bussman's work is that he makes use of some pretty exotic materials, like mesquite, ironwood, ziricote, etc. I had "custody" of one of his instruments for a while that had turquoise and sliver position markers. That was one of the coolest instrument appointments I've ever seen!

Cheryl Watson
Mar-07-2011, 5:47am
Forget the mandolin choice, I want to know what operation you need to do. Is she going to make you throw away your stinky old hat?

But concerning your mandolin choice, both builders are excellent, I have a friend who owns an Old Wave GOM and it is very organic and earthy, plays and sounds great and is very light in weight. Bill has obviously built a lot more mandolins but Chris Baird is obviously very talented.

I own an Arches FT-F which is an induced arch A-style. It is the exact one pictured on the Arches website. I know, only one sample of each to compare is not enough really, but I'll try.

The Old Wave is more organic and is very handbuilt looking. Bill has access to some really exotic woods. My friend's GOM has a flamed red wood top and mildly figured but rich colored walnut back & sides.

The Arches has perfect fit and finish, extremely close to Collings perfection, even though it is his lowest model mandolin. It even has an Adirondack top and birdseye maple back, sides and neck. I cannot comment on how exotic Chris' wood selection is because I have no knowledge of that but the woods on my mandolin are gorgeous, the blond red spruce top has no imperfections.

Both builders build instruments that weigh in on the light side which is something I require in a mandolin/guitar.

My Arches has a great neck (rounded profile and he probably would do a soft V shape if you prefer that) and super easy playability. It is responsive and has a pleasant, clean, clear tone. It has a good chop for an induced top which is surprising. It is not buggy: the intonation is spot on and you can strum open chords without the fear of one set of strings standing out too much or sounding out of tune. The trebles are solid sounding as opposed to too bright and zingy. The fret job is perfection. I can only imagine how great his carved top mandolins sound. There was a used Arches A-style in the classifieds and it still might be available for immediate gratification, that is, if you want a blond.

I personally, would have a very hard time deciding between the two so I think the advice was very good in this thread to talk to both builders and see who you click with the most and also consider the wait time.

Keep your journey posted, please? And, I hope this helped if only a little.

Cheryl Watson
Mar-07-2011, 5:56am
One more thing--the sound samples on Chris' site of my Arches mandolin are good but the tone has mellowed and deepened since.

JEStanek
Mar-07-2011, 9:50am
OK. Lets keep the vasectomy humor down, It is a family site after all. For the record, you're getting a great deal to get a custom mandolin in exchange for a 15 minute procedure. The mandolin John mentioned (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?26954-Old-wave-mandolin-auction) I came close to winning (Bill had donated it as a fund raiser for a school) and it started me on my path to custom built mandolins. At the time I couldn't afford any more than what I bid and Chris wasn't taking orders for his flat tops any more (or his wait list was closed). Both guys make different looking but great instruments.

Jamie

Jamie

Douglas McMullin
Mar-07-2011, 11:26am
I think you will probably be happy with either. I have an Old Wave oval A, and it is a fantastic instrument, but I have also seen and heard a few Arches that were very desirable. Probably depends a little on what you are looking for.

Brad Weiss
Mar-07-2011, 11:33am

Seminal analysis!

Brad Weiss
Mar-07-2011, 11:35am
Sorry, Jamie...

Pete Martin
Mar-07-2011, 1:29pm
I love my Old Waves!

MONami
Mar-07-2011, 1:56pm
OMG, seriously, straight-up, that is veryvery funny. Good catch. Holy shoot.

Mike Bunting
Mar-07-2011, 2:11pm
OK. Lets keep the vasectomy humor down, It is a family site after all.
Jamie
It was a good play on words, why would that offend a "family", are vasectomies "dirty"?

yankees1
Mar-07-2011, 2:19pm
I love my Old Waves! Ditto!

man dough nollij
Mar-07-2011, 2:21pm
I'd be leery of hauling a new mandolin around, with all those huge brass instruments rattling around loose in your car. Tell her that step one will be to get her tubas tied!

acousticphd
Mar-07-2011, 5:01pm
Any thoughts from owners of both would be appreciated.

I am a satisfied former recipient of one of the operations mentioned, and an owner of 3 Old Wave Mandolins.
The first is not as bad as you think, especially with the reward you've been promised. The mandolins, on the other hand are really special. Arches look mighty nice too, but I have never touched one.
In fairness, shouldn't you really maybe receive a bilateral gift - an Old Wave, and an Arches (it is actually two operations, you know).

disguiseglasses
Mar-07-2011, 5:05pm

I was eating a turkey sandwich as I read this post- I began to laugh so hard that I nearly choked to death.

Jim MacDaniel
Mar-07-2011, 5:39pm
Tom & Brad, brilliant posts -- what a cutting wit you have!

Jim MacDaniel
Mar-07-2011, 5:41pm
<duplicate post>

pjlama
Mar-07-2011, 5:59pm
I think the big difference between the Arches and OW was mentioned earlier; Bill's work is very organic and the Arches stuff is much more Collings like. I believe that Chris uses CNC where Bill says it all in the name OLD Wave. I'm an OW owner so you know which way I lean but you gotta decide. BTW I played a really good OW A f-hole the other day at Guitar Vista here in Albuquerque NFI, super nice! I gotta take some pics of it, it's got this great deep amber color with incredible flamed sides and back and the sound was very good. I'm sure you'd be happy with either, Chris's stuff is pretty spectacular just a whole different approach.

Tom Humphreys
Mar-07-2011, 11:26pm
Aw shucks! Sorry if I stepped over the line there. I will just add that if there is a movement afoot to distribute fine builder-made mandos in exchange for sterilization, where do I sign up? I've got two young'uns already and I get to bounce back -n- forth between my Fender and my Fullerton! Not that I'm complaining, but that'd be a deal I'd jump at!

red7flag
Mar-07-2011, 11:55pm
I have a short neck Old Wave oval A mandola. I have some really nice instruments, but the Old Wave is one of my favorites. Some mentioned the earthy quality of the Old Waves, and that is a great way to explain what they are and is one reason I love my mandola so much. It has that same feeling I get from a friend that is into hunting, camping and sitting a playing music by the fires. Down home and real. I am not comparing with Arches, as I have never played one. But the Old Waves I have played are very special and definitely take on the personality of the man who makes them, Bill Bussman, a real character, and a very real wonderful person.

jasona
Mar-08-2011, 12:36am
After 3 children you aren't VOLUNTEERING for the surgery? ;)

(Its no big deal. Just, even if you feel fine, get a jock. And wear it. Also, single malt)

RE mandos: Old Wave!

pjlama
Mar-08-2011, 12:55am
We're expecting our fourth! I refused to get fixed but if she'd have offered a mandolin I may have done it ;)

Toycona
Mar-08-2011, 11:06am
Aw, nuts. I missed out on all of the fun. My 'going rate' for the procedure (back in the day) was an ice cold 6 pack and a frozen bag of peas. Maybe I should have held out for a new mando...

Ken Sager
Mar-08-2011, 6:44pm
Having owned both Arches and OW mandolins I suggest you get your hands on one of each and then decide. They are very different animals. Chris' work is impeccable, but Bill's mojo can't be beat. Tonally they can also vary widely. If you can, play them both and take home the one that speaks to you.

Stinky Old Hat
Mar-09-2011, 10:25pm
Thanks for the info everyone(and the jokes too).

Ted Eschliman
Mar-10-2011, 8:56am
Sorry to be a party pooper. Fellow Mod Jamie is correct. The potential to dangle this out of bounds has proven too much for some of our members to handle. Feel free to start a simliar product comparison thread, sans the vasectomy procedure references.