PDA

View Full Version : Pre-War Mandolin?

3rdfloorprinter
Mar-06-2011, 11:23am
I am helping my uncle figure out the date, company, and worth of his father's mandolin.

It has been known to be in the family since circa 1944.

The label name on the inside reads:

"Premium"
"Manufactured"
United States Music Co."
No. 124
"Conservatory Mandolin"

MikeEdgerton
Mar-06-2011, 1:48pm
It was probably made in Chicago by the Lyon and Healy company sometime around 1900 or soon thereafter. It's in pretty rough shape, the one tuner isn't original and neither is the bridge. You're also missing the tailpiece cover. In pristine shape it would be worth a few hundred dollars, in it's current condition less than a hundred, probably much less.

United States Music Co. as such isn't listed in the Mugwumps Encyclopedia of stringed instrument manufacturers, although two companies with similar names are listed in Baltimore and Boston. Lyon and Healy was a large manufacturer of instruments when this mandolin was built and built many instruments "for the trade" with no labels. The retailer or school would then add their own label. I suspect that's what happened here.

3rdfloorprinter
Mar-06-2011, 6:55pm
Many thanks! That is such valuable information.

It is in rough shape: its bridge is deteriorated, the metal cap on one of the tuners is missing, there is a missing cap on the tailpiece, and two cracks on the sound board.

Sorry to ask more questions, but..

Would it be worth repairing it?

And if so, where would I get parts (original or custom) to repair it?

mrmando
Mar-06-2011, 7:04pm
Short answer: no, not worth fixing up. Cut those cruddy strings off and hang it on the wall.

3rdfloorprinter
Mar-06-2011, 7:24pm
Thanks again. I appreciate all the help!

Anymore opinions?

D C Blood
Mar-06-2011, 8:10pm
And 3rdfloorprinter...If the replies sounded somewhat sharp, please believe they were just trying to be realistic, and not leave you with false hopes. These things come up on here very often, and some folks think that they've got a buried treasure, and they don't. It's worth more as a memento to your uncle as a keepsake than it would be, even if fixed up and made playable.

3rdfloorprinter
Mar-06-2011, 8:38pm
I completely understand, and really appreciate everyone's help. I just wanted to see if others agreed. Being a historian myself, I understand the value and "deceptiveness" of of antiques. It's just that mandolins are not my specialty. Thanks again!