PDA

View Full Version : Calton's new Carbon Case for Mandolin

mtucker
Mar-03-2011, 11:58am
I recently purchased Calton's carbon case with my new mandolin. It is definitely the lightest (hard) case I've ever owned, 20-30% lighter than the standard Calton and very noticeable. Seems they've done their homework on the interior also by redesigning how the mandolin rests in the case, incorporating a padded ramp up to the internal box from the body of the instrument...they've also tapered a padded peghead rest that slopes away from the box. All provided for a more secure ride preventing movement and peghead whiplash that can occur when the case gets tossed or dropped. Don't know if any of you have tried one or considering protecting your investment with a Calton, but if so, you may want to check out upgrading to the carbon.

I know in the past, there've been issues with consumer and dealer customer service so I'm not posting to stir that up. Just wanted to provide info on a really nice new case. All the standard interior/exterior colors are available from Calton. NFI.

AlanN
Mar-03-2011, 12:03pm
Thanks for the review. Curious: does anything touch the headstock? side, top, bottom? And how far is the clearance from each side of an F-5 headstock?

mritter
Mar-03-2011, 12:09pm
I was able to get one about a month ago from a local builder. It's honey beige with burgundy interior. I concur with your comments.

It's approximately a pound and a half lighter than their deluxe case. Doesn't sound like much but it is quite noticable.

mritter
Mar-03-2011, 12:15pm
AlanN,

I don't notice any more clearance (F style headstock) than the standard deluxe model cases. My other Calton cases are fairly recent vintage as well, having the rubber feet instead of the metal feet.

The scroll is still relatively close to the padded sides.

mtucker
Mar-03-2011, 12:15pm
Alan,
The very tip of the back of the peghead does ever so slightly feather the lower part of the box, but because of the body ramp (mostly) and neck cradle over the box, there's like zero movement, even with the case open. The clearance around the F5 peghead seems about the same as my other Calton's.

AlanN
Mar-03-2011, 12:23pm
Thanks for the replies, folks.

What the... Didn't they listen to customer feed-back? That is a deal killer, for me.

mtucker
Mar-03-2011, 1:58pm

What the... Didn't they listen to customer feed-back? That is a deal killer, for me.

This 'angled pick box' (their term), seems to isolate everything pretty tight, definitely an improvement on the way it rides. If I were checking it into the underbelly, the Peg would probably still be the choice but have always carried-on unstopped.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-04-2011, 3:03am
In the past,there have been a number of threads on here re.the proximity of the headstock scroll to the side of the Calton case in that area. It seems to me that if Calton have listened to any customer feed-back,they've chose to ignore it.It could also very well be that they're using the exact same pattern of mold that they use for their fiberglass cases & have simply changed the case material,as a cost saving excersise.
I have to repeat that IMHO,unless a case is going to be subjected to a lot of physical mis-handling,then fibreglass OR carbon fibre cases offer no more protection than the lightest cases out there,the Travelite. My Lebeda is housed in a Travelite case & there's nearly an inch of space between the headstock scroll & the side of the case.Then there's a good inch of soft padding around the headstock compartment. What the case is made from is largely immaterial when it comes to instrument protection. It's what's on the inside that's important,& the Travelite has more padding than most other cases that i've seen. If Mike Marshall chose one for his Loar,then i'll trust my instrument to one,
Ivan 69211

Ron McMillan
Mar-04-2011, 4:43am
Ivan - can you point me to any stockists of Travelite F cases in Britain?

mritter
Mar-04-2011, 6:20am
I
I have to repeat that IMHO,unless a case is going to be subjected to a lot of physical mis-handling,then fibreglass OR carbon fibre cases offer no more protection than the lightest cases out there,the Travelite.
Ivan 69211

You ever had to check that Travelite while traveling on the airlines?

AlanN
Mar-04-2011, 7:20am
Ivan's photo above shows ample clearance beside the headstock sides. My Travelite (older one?) does not have that clearance, the large headstock scroll touches the side...hate that. I guess *they* have listened to the customer. Calton, apparently, has not, at least for the teardrop shaped case. Perhaps it's costly to re-tool their machines to SIMPLY ADD SOME ROOM to that area of the case. I have a large square Calton. The headstock is fully away from any touch points, the neck support is perfect, the whole case is perfect. Just too dang heavy to lug around.

And no way would I ever 'check' a mandolin in a Travelite.

Ryk Loske
Mar-04-2011, 9:40am
"Calton, apparently, has not,"

It really is a shame the way the company has changed since Al and Trudy sold it. Service and responsiveness have plummetted.

Ryk

Scotti Adams
Mar-04-2011, 9:59am
My recently aquired Travel-Lite has plenty of room around the head stock as well. I really like this case. I might add that the mando has a Tone-Gard attached. Was kinda tight at first but the case is adjusting.

AlanN
Mar-04-2011, 10:18am
Yep, both Scotti and Ivan have a Travelite that is *new and improved*. Just might have to get <another> one...sigh. At least they listened to the customer.

Scotti Adams
Mar-04-2011, 10:24am
It may not be bullet proof but its just the right amount of case for the right amount of $$$

mandroid
Mar-04-2011, 10:46am
Pegasus, for UK case seekers, seems like a good choice , given He builds them , there, in Scotland..

In the States I had to get mine used [save some$] classifieds, Here, to not have to Import it.

I've seen a Cal Mandola shell, people have special ordered fitted with a mandolin liner, cushioning, inside .

via pictures on this site, the head of those swells out from the tapered shape on their smaller Mandolin shell.

foldedpath
Mar-04-2011, 11:21am
I have to repeat that IMHO,unless a case is going to be subjected to a lot of physical mis-handling,then fibreglass OR carbon fibre cases offer no more protection than the lightest cases out there,the Travelite.

I think it depends on the situation, and it doesn't necessarily require mis-handling to want a case with a stronger sidewall, and a smaller size. For what it's worth, I often use a Travelite and I think it's a good case for times when I can always control how the case is handled, and where it's placed in a pile of gear (i.e. on top). I use the Travelite when the car is lightly packed.... no other instruments, or just a fiddle and guitar... no PA gear. I think the combination of stiff foam, soft internal padding and light weight is probably the best protection for accidentally falling off a table, or falling out of a car door and hitting the ground when unpacking. I've had the latter happen, not the former (knock on wood).

Other times though, I revert to a small, contoured hardshell case. For example, when we carpool with friends to a session and the mandolin is packed in a small cargo space with a bunch of heavy hardshell guitar and OM cases (the Weber hard-shell case for my OM is a beast). Or when it's packed with PA gear in our small SUV, where space is tight and loads can shift.

I just don't trust a Travelite in those situations, unless I can absolutely insure that it's always riding on top of a pile of gear. Often, that coveted space is taken by fiddle cases (dang fiddlers!). I know Mike Marshall uses a Travelite, but I'm sure he always keeps that Loar close to hand when traveling, and doesn't have to deal with the "pile 'o instruments" and PA gear that I frequently have to deal with.

goose 2
Mar-04-2011, 11:36am
I have a Pegasus and a Travelite that I travel with. Festivals and places where I expect more banging around I take the Pegasus. Otherwise its the Travelite. I did check a real nice mandolin from Dallas to Nairobi, Kenya with stops thru Chicago O'Hare and Lindon Heathrow. The mandolin arrived in perfect condition and still in tune. I did this against my will but it worked out good.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-05-2011, 4:59am
For any UK member on here,i bought my Travelite from Dave Bresnen's store "Frets Old & New" in Liverpool UK. He's the only guy i know selling them over here. Unfortunately TAMCO no longer sells cases.
Re. checking my case in,i've never done that. But,i'd hope to take the case on board an aircraft rather than check it in as 'freight',something even Calton owners & owners of other 'hard' cases don't like to do. Travelite or Calton,if some 'person' throws your case around,the instrument is going to be damaged unless it's well protected inside. The instrument needs to be protected by some form of 'shock absorbent' material. For me a lightweight case with the instrument inside surrounded by a good thickness of bags of polystyrene 'chippings',hidden behind the case lining could do the trick. The 'chippings' would (should) absorb any impact,leaving the instrument un-damaged - just an idea,
Ivan

Martin Stevens
Mar-05-2011, 3:50pm
as far as headstock room in the Calton, would you guys suggest making some sort of padding mechanism that fits around the headstock when flying? Has anyone tried making something like that?

Ryk Loske
Mar-05-2011, 5:47pm
Extra socks and underwear. I'm not kidding. It's gonna fly with you ... and if they lose your luggage you at least have a change.

Ryk

Martin Stevens
Mar-05-2011, 5:57pm
Quick question... I'm pretty ignorant on the topic but I'm planning on flying with my mandolin a lot this summer. So it's better that the headstock is packed in there (cushioned from the side of the headstock to the side of the case) than it is for it to have room?

Jim Roberts
Mar-05-2011, 6:15pm
Perhaps instead of bashing Calton, why not contact them to have a custom case made for your particular mandolin? I think my Heiden came with a custom case that Michael has specially made for his mandolins and there is plenty of clearance in the headstock area. I used to have another Calton mandolin case where the Heiden did not fit so well in the headstock area, yet another one of my mandolins does fit well in that case. The Travelite cases seem to be pretty good when they are new but the padded area where the neck rests (close to the body) tends to give out and I am leary of that. I feel they are great for shipping purposes. Seems like the Pegasus cases fit most mandolins pretty well although the one I have is a bit too wide where it craddles the neck of one of my mandolins yet fits the other like a glove. I guess one size does not fit all when it comes to cases but I would give Calton a call about a custom if that's the route you choose to take. At the California Bluegrass Association camp last week, my mandolin hero (John Resichman) had his F5 Loar and his other mandolin both in Calton cases. I have NFI in Calton just feel we ought to give them a fair shake.

This is from Calton's website..."Custom Cases: Calton Cases are designed around particular instruments, but the custom nature of our product means they can be adapted to accommodate a variety of stringed instruments or configurations."

Ryk Loske
Mar-05-2011, 7:08pm
I'm sorry Jim but that just isn't the case (no pun intended) anymore. When Al & Trudy Williams owned Calton NA it was. No longer. I speak from experience relative to my mandolin case and a guitar case. Bummer.

Martin .... the greatest "danger" comes from whiplash. Pack ... i go back to socks and u-trou ... behind the headstock and on top of the headstock. It will firmly fix the headstock in the case so no whiplash can happen. As a side benefit the side-to-side movement is stopped as well.

Ryk

Martin Stevens
Mar-06-2011, 1:37am
Should I pack it in tight? Or just enough so it's touching.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-06-2011, 4:32am
Martin - Personally,i'd wrap as much bubble wrap (the small bubble type) around the headstock to stop it from moving up/down or sideways.The necks & headstocks of our instruments (especially Banjos) are the most vulnerable parts & need to be as restrained as much as can be to prevent 'whiplash' type damage,as Ryk above said,
Ivan

Ryk Loske
Mar-06-2011, 4:35am
Firm. Whatever you pack beneath the headstock should offer some resistence as the neck is pushed down into the cradle. Then whatever you pack over the headstock should offer the same sort of support. There should be some resistance as you close the case.
http://archtop.com/ac_shipping.html offers great advice relative to shipping an instrument, more than i do for air travel but you'll get the idea.
http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/Packing/packing1.html is Frank Ford's take on the same process.
I remove all the extra stuff we keep in our pick pockets. The metal shows up on scanners and tuners are just an electrical device that needs to be explained. I don't want them to want to open the case. That stuff all goes in my briefcase.

Ryk

Martin Stevens
Mar-06-2011, 2:27pm
Sweet! Thanks for the info.

barney 59
Mar-07-2011, 12:46pm
Extra socks and underwear. I'm not kidding. It's gonna fly with you ... and if they lose your luggage you at least have a change.

Ryk

But what do you do for the trip home? When I travel I usually don't stop or have time to waste at a laundry. Remind me not to borrow your mandolin.

Ryk Loske
Mar-07-2011, 1:23pm
Oh Barney ...
I take the time because i take the tips on traveling provided by Rick Steves. Plus i usually stay with family or friends.
Too ... you may want to check out this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?70855-don-t-touch-my-mandolin!:)

Mark Seale
Mar-07-2011, 1:32pm

Wasn't the issue less about total room and more about proximity to the metal attachment of the feet being right next to the headstock scroll?

mritter
Mar-07-2011, 8:57pm
Mark,
You're exactly right.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-08-2011, 2:56am
From Mark - "....proximity to the metal attachment of the feet being right next to the headstock scroll?" . The argument was that if there was more room around the headstock scroll,then the scroll & metal attachment wouldn't be close to one another,
Ivan

mritter
Mar-08-2011, 5:54am
From Ivan- "....then the scroll & metal attachment wouldn't be close to one another" . The answer is Calton has relocated the foot and this is no longer an issue.

AlanN
Mar-08-2011, 7:36am
That is fine for that immediate issue, I just would have liked to have seen more clearance provided around the headstock.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-09-2011, 4:19am
Exactly right Alan. I'd go for 2" clearance around the headstock,as well as a good neck restraint. Calton would very likely have to re-tool for such a modified case,but it would gain more acceptance than the current 'iffy' one (IMHO),
Ivan

Trevor Thomas
Mar-09-2011, 10:50am
I disagree in the strongest possible terms. My (UK made) Calton has nothing 'iffy' about it. I've used it for over ten years - aeroplanes, vans and whatnot. The worst impact was when I was wearing it on my back when I had a motorcycle crash. The mandolin wasn't even out of tune. If it can handle that sort of impact, then it's capable of handling anything the airlines can do to it.

If you don't need huge amounts of protection, then a lighter, less expensive case might be the best option for you. But if you want it to stop bullets, then the Calton's the one.

AlanN
Mar-09-2011, 10:52am
Trevor,

re: UK-made Calton

Do you carry an F-5 in it?
Does the headstock big curl touch the side of the case when seated?

mtucker
Mar-09-2011, 11:39am
i'm pretty sure they're the same molds, uk/usa. The new Calton's i own have been around the world (half-way and back), shipped regular post in nothing more than a box around the case. One of them has an isolating top and bottom pillow for the peghead ... the newest got shipped the same way in the Calton Carbon case, same place of origin .. both came through like champs.
:)

mritter
Mar-09-2011, 12:02pm
Trevor,

That doesn't sound at all like the Calton I read so much about on the Cafe. Haven't you heard about the hundreds of innocent mandolins that have been maimed by these dreaded cases? God help you if it's a carbon fiber model as well...no impact protection and delamination issues according to some materials engineering experts.

Who in their right mind would put a valuable instrument in one of these mandolin killers?

Ryk Loske
Mar-09-2011, 12:27pm
There are basically three Calton cases: Those made in the UK where they started. Those made in Calgary Canada by Al & Trudy Williams and those now being made in the maritimes of Canada.

I have no experience with Calton UK.

There are four Calton Guitar cases and one mandolin case currently in our home. There are an additional two that were sold with the instruments for which they were made.

The mandolin case was my first experience with the new Canadian Calton. Were it not for the fact that the guitar case i needed was for an 18" archtop and that nobody but Calton provided that case i would never have given them my business. (With hindsight i should have ordered it from the UK.)

The cases perform as needed ... WHEN you finally get them. The mandolin case is generic ... even though it was orderd for a custom shape and drawings were sent. Neither the mandolin case nor the guitar case came with the ordered wedges for the headstock. (Which is why i suggest extra socks and underwear to protect headstocks.)
During the time that the last two cases were in line for production and being made: I never experienced the courtesy of a returned phone call. I never experienced the courtesy of a returned email. And when i was able to speak with someone at Calton Canada i was lied to. The dealer through whom these cases were ordered had the same experience as i.

If you are able to find a ready made case from a dealer that suits your need ... you are in business. If you are in need of a custom case ... you are in for disappointment. Once again ... let me reiterate ... i am addressing the current manifestation of Calton of Canada. I have no experience with Calton UK and LONG for the days when Al & Trudy owned and ran Calton of Canada.

Ryk

AlanN
Mar-09-2011, 12:47pm
Thank you for your experiential recounting. Positive and negative tales are all good, snide and sarcastic remarks notwithstanding (not yours, Ryk).

I own a Calton case, customized to my specs and and on my dime. Lawrence Smart was my 'dealer' for this many years ago. It is the large rectangle, the interior designed for a single F-5 mandolin. I asked for several mods and received them all (Al and Trudy-era). I have seen this same case exterior made for [2 mandolins and for 1 mandolin and 1 fiddle]. Mine is a great case, all the way around.

I have had shipped to me, and have myself shipped F-5 mandolins in the more-common tear-drop Calton, always carefully padding the h/s area. Fortunately, no mishaps have happened (to me). I have heard about and seen first-hand too many broken headstocks that were shipped in Calton cases. Whether it was due to case manhandling (could and does occur with cases other than Calton) or poor headstock case design, I don't know. But seems there are more stories along these lines with Calton cases than with others.

The moving of a rivet to minimize headstock damage was a good/necessary alteration that should have been done long before it actually was. What still needs fixing is the width/size of the headstock well. I am not the only one who says this.

The current customer service model sounds creaky. Glad I don't need to contact them.

mtucker
Mar-09-2011, 12:56pm
If you are able to find a ready made case from a dealer that suits your need ... you are in business. If you are in need of a custom case ... you are in for disappointment Ryk
If you're flying solo on your own, you are probably correct...but if you order through a dealer (caveat emptor) who makes a steady diet of them and multiple orders at one time .. i would say your chances are excellent. I know for a fact that i'm not the only one who has successfully custom ordered a Calton and rec'd exactly what i asked for, delivered on time. Did you have a bad experience?

Martin Stevens
Mar-09-2011, 12:57pm
If you are able to find a ready made case from a dealer that suits your need ... you are in business. If you are in need of a custom case ... you are in for disappointment. Once again ... let me reiterate ... i am addressing the current manifestation of Calton of Canada. I have no experience with Calton UK and LONG for the days when Al & Trudy owned and ran Calton of Canada.

Ryk

That is the only reason I got one.... I was not willing to try to order one with the new state of business they have going on there. Gruhn had one that fit my mando and I ordered it immediately.

Martin Stevens
Mar-09-2011, 5:13pm
okay so... I just got my case in the mail, and I can't say I'm the happiest guy in the world.

First of all, right next to the name plate there is about square cm chip in the white exterior... doesn't sound like a big deal, but you can see the green fiberglass or whatever underneath the hollow part and it's really noticeable once you see it once. And it's not exactly a spot where you could cover with a sticker. Kind of annoying.

Also, even though it's a new case and has the metal attachments for a strap, they didn't include a strap with it. Grrr.

As far as the case, on the body not all of the curves and points are touching the sides in every place, but the body can't move at all in there so I suppose that's good? I'm a little concerned about the headstock.. I was under the impression that the headstock needs room around it on the sides but the curl on each side is touching the side of the case.... I could easily see setting it down a little too hard and breaking off the scroll, but I may be wrong.

haha.. I tried using whiteout to make the hole not as noticeable but it made it look even worse. hmm...

AlanN
Mar-09-2011, 5:50pm
Well, if that don't beat all. First off, sorry that happened to you as the customer.

I'd return it.

Mike Bunting
Mar-09-2011, 6:11pm
Get a Pegasus. I guess it was a used Calton, but even then it seems kind of cheap that Gruhn's didn't at least didn't throw in a strap. I've had a Calton for 15 years with no problems at all during lots of air travel over the years but much prefer the Peg I got for my new mandolin. I'd send it back and go for the extra headstock protection and excellent design of the Pegasus.
http://www.pegasus-cases.com/index.html

Martin Stevens
Mar-09-2011, 6:21pm
I mean, as long as the mandolin is protected I'm fine with it. I'm planning on getting a colorado case cover / backpack so the look isn't a huge deal, as well as the strap. I just thought it was kinda a bummer.

Who knows, maybe it's a good thing that's touching (barely) on both sides? I should also note that the very top point (in the middle) is touching the bottom padding, so maybe the 3 point touch is a good thing? Either way whenever I fly I will make sure I bubble wrap and add padding... I would just hate to see a scroll snap off.

Ryk Loske
Mar-09-2011, 6:50pm
Martin ...
If Gruhn doesn't ship you a case strap PM me with your address and i'll send you one from my "stock". I don't use them on the guitars ... but i've found it very handy form the mandolins.

mtucker
Mar-09-2011, 7:16pm
Either way whenever I fly I will make sure I bubble wrap and add padding...
Is your mando traveling in the belly of an M1 Abrams tank or will it be onboard with you? If the latter, sounds like severe overkill to me.

Ryk Loske
Mar-09-2011, 7:39pm
Is your mando traveling in the belly of an M1 Abrams tank or will it be onboard with you? If the latter, sounds like severe overkill to me.

IF you're allowed to keep it as carryon ... then perhaps you're right. But why not err on the side of caution?

Ryk

Martin Stevens
Mar-09-2011, 8:49pm
Martin ...
If Gruhn doesn't ship you a case strap PM me with your address and i'll send you one from my "stock". I don't use them on the guitars ... but i've found it very handy form the mandolins.

I appreciate it but I just dropped some cash on a colorado case cover w/ backpack.

Martin Stevens
Mar-09-2011, 8:50pm
So... not only is there the small chip, but since there is space between the other "white" layer and the inner "fiberglass, the white area around the chip will easily chip as well....

Any suggestions on what to fill it with? I'm not a very good handyman. I need to fill it with something plyable that will harden and then ill smooth it out and make it semi-white somehow (I don't care too much how it looks since I'll have the case cover.. I just want to make sure it doesn't chip anymore).

Mike Bunting
Mar-09-2011, 9:12pm
I appreciate it but I just dropped some cash on a colorado case cover w/ backpack.
I don't think that the Colorado case cover comes with a strap (mine didn't), rather it has little slot where the rings on the case stick through and you can attach the case strap through the case cover. Alternative, the Small Dog case covers have their own strap.

Martin Stevens
Mar-10-2011, 2:16am
I ordered it with the backpack straps. (paid separate)

anyone have any filling suggestions for the outside of the case... I'm going to home depot tomorrow. ugh

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-10-2011, 4:37am
Trevor - With all due respect,you obviously haven't read some of the posts on here regarding the damage done to Mandolins by 'some' Calton cases. On the other hand,there are folk such as yourself who haven't suffered any damage - that's great. But for those who have had the headstock scroll broken off because of the scroll touching the side of the case when it was dropped or impacted in some way,Calton cases have become less than ideal,
Ivan

Ryk Loske
Mar-10-2011, 6:50am
Martin,
I'd skip Home Depot and head to an auto supply place. They'ld have stuff to work on fiberglass car bodies. You might find a better color match. A good marine supply shop would work as well.
Sorry,
Ryk

AlanN
Mar-10-2011, 7:02am
Yeah, there are those who have experienced no probs, and that's good. But, even with the 'small' percentage of problems due to the sub-optimal headstock thing, even 1 out of 100 is too high, imo. The thing is, the issue is preventable, with a product enhancement. Most Calton owners I know use the case for an F-5. An F-5 has a very specific, regular headstock profile, with slight dimension variations.

Calton: make the headstock well larger, all around. Are you listening?

Ryk Loske
Mar-10-2011, 7:20am
Calton: make the headstock well larger, all around. Are you listening?[/QUOTE]

No.

mtucker
Mar-10-2011, 6:09pm
anyone have any filling suggestions for the outside of the case... I'm going to home depot tomorrow. ugh
you might want to check with the 'bluegrass regulators'! it's conceivable you're in violation of some code of conduct for over-fretting your mandolin.. ;):grin: btw - you've got a great little band there and good luck this summer!

jasona
Mar-10-2011, 10:45pm
Martin,
I'd skip Home Depot and head to an auto supply place. They'ld have stuff to work on fiberglass car bodies. You might find a better color match. A good marine supply shop would work as well.
Sorry,
Ryk

To fill fiberglass you will need sheet fiberglass and polyester resin. And pigment for the final layers. If you've never worked with fiberglass before, I do not recommend this project to learn how.

Personally, I'd send that puppy back.

Martin Stevens
Mar-10-2011, 10:49pm
Here's what I'm talking about...

Ryk Loske
Mar-11-2011, 2:57am
I'd send it back as well. You can't tell if the hole/chip continues under the name plate. Let Gruhn deal with Calton. (This doesn't speak well for Gruhn either. It will be interesting to see what their customer service is like.)

Since you've ordered a Colorado cover you could get by with just about any color if the added thermal protection of white was why you got that color.

If it were me and [B]IF[B] i were going to keep it; before i tried anything i would remove the metal tag to see if the chip/hole extends under it. You could then fill the hole and glue or rivet a plate to cover the whole mess.

Ryk

Martin Stevens
Mar-11-2011, 4:15am
no no I don't want any negative attention at all on gruhn. They have been more than helpful and the manager Christie is a great lady. She held the store open an extra half hour just so I could come by and make sure I wanted to buy my Ellis this summer. I called them today about the hole and I said I would try to fix it myself but she insisted that she would call Calton immediately and get it right.

And, in person you can see that the hole ends before the nameplate. It a good cm away from it so it looks isolated.

Ryk Loske
Mar-11-2011, 8:10am
Great! Thanks for the info on Gruhn's. We gotta share the good here too.

Ryk

AlanN
Mar-11-2011, 8:19am
Agree, it's more the manufacturer (i.e., product) than the dealer through which purchased that I have a beef with. But, it looks like the plate on that case is a Gruhn plate? Mandolin Central plates are on many Calton cases I have seen, so it seems the dealer name is often stamped on those.

It's a fine, quality case EXCEPT IN ONE AREA.

mtucker
Mar-11-2011, 9:33am
But, it looks like the plate on that case is a Gruhn plate? Mandolin Central plates are on many Calton cases I have seen, so it seems the dealer name is often stamped on those.

It's a fine, quality case EXCEPT IN ONE AREA.
Those plates are done at Calton. Gruhn has plates with them, as do other dealers. In the event the mandolin was lost and Gruhn was called .. they would be able to ID the instrument, if it was purchased there.

Christie will take care of you... She and all the folks at Gruhn are fine fine people, as you know.

Martin Stevens
Mar-11-2011, 9:48pm
I've decided to return the Calton case (hopefully both gruhns and the place I ordered the case cover let me) and get a pegasus if that all works out. Really hoping either place won't cause me a problem.

mritter
Mar-11-2011, 10:04pm
I think that's a smart move Martin. It's a lot of money and you want to be happy. I spoke to Sam at Pegasus yesterday and he said business is good and orders are up lately. He said to expect an approximate 8 week delivery.

Martin Stevens
Mar-11-2011, 10:06pm
What are the pegasus going for in american dollars? I know it's more expensive then a calton...

Jim Roberts
Mar-11-2011, 11:13pm
If you order a Pegasus, be sure to ask Sam about any imperfections or flaws in the exterior color before he ships it to you.

Martin Stevens
Mar-11-2011, 11:14pm
How much was it?

Mike Bunting
Mar-12-2011, 1:22am
I don't know what they are going for currently. Email them, Sam is very helpful.

http://www.pegasus-cases.com/index.html

mritter
Mar-12-2011, 7:15am
With the velvet interior, the price was 460 GBP (including shipping to Texas). Today, that's about $740.

mtucker
Mar-12-2011, 10:11am
i own a peg and think its a great case - Sam is a super good guy, also. There are two things that detract from the Peg, imo:

- the weight of the case - very heavy compared to my Caltons, especially my new calton carbon case which weighs nothing - - of course heavy in this instance translates favorably to strength because the Peg does seem like it could withstand greater impact if dropped, tossed or slammed by a city bus. But since i do have choices, i give the nod to the Calton around the home front, if i'm going over to my bud's, or even for plane travel, because of weight ... i thought Big Joe and Sam were working on a deal to do a carbon Peg? ...but dunno where that is at.

- the number of latches on the case. My Calton's have three, my Peg has 5 or 6, can't recall at the moment. It's not nearly as convenient, takes longer to get in and out of the case. You do notice fussing with all the extra latches.

i do have a small dog case cover for the Peg but i found it was nice for travel but became an added nusance to have to unzip everytime i needed access, so it ended up sitting in my hotel room or rental car after i got to my destination. just too much to continually fuss with two cases if youre reaching for your mandolin frequently ...i would think especially if youre running around a festival with jams going on. i gave up on mine for the most part.

There were problems with the interiors coming apart at one time, but I think that's been resolved. Mine is a newer one and i've not had any problems.

All in all, my Calton's are just easier and lighter, so i go with them.

Having said all that, i don't think you can go wrong with the Peg. :grin:

hank
Mar-12-2011, 10:59am
How much is the shipping cost and any import taxes, etc..? I guess shipping could change with your proximity to a major hub.

woodwizard
Mar-12-2011, 11:00am
I've had my Calton delux granite white w/silver interior for a little over a year and I got to say it's the best case I've ever seen for protection. If I was going to take my mandolin with me on a jet you can bet all my other cases would stay home ... especially the travelt. case. I love the lightness of that case but only use it like at festivals when I have to carry it around a lot. Sure Calton can make their case better and more roomy and they should but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I believe it protects well. IMHO Luv to have one of those carbon cases!

hank
Mar-12-2011, 11:49am
I was checking out their site a few days ago and gave them a call about the price on the Somogyi Kimono. I got a call back within 5 min. and had a pleasant conversation with the owner. He seemed very down to earth and more than willing to explain the new process. They use cloth that you specify or provide to make these at a $200 charge. The Ode to Pollock are a cool $100 modification. I noticed that they have moved to a larger building and state improving customer service as one of their new objectives.

Mike Bunting
Mar-12-2011, 11:57am
i own a peg and think its a great case - Sam is a super good guy, also. There are two things that detract from the Peg, imo:

- the weight of the case - very heavy compared to my Caltons, especially my new calton carbon case which weighs nothing - - of course heavy in this instance translates favorably to strength because the Peg does seem like it could withstand greater impact if dropped, tossed or slammed by a city bus. But since i do have choices, i give the nod to the Calton around the home front, if i'm going over to my bud's, or even for plane travel, because of weight ... i thought Big Joe and Sam were working on a deal to do a carbon Peg? ...but dunno where that is at.

- the number of latches on the case. My Calton's have three, my Peg has 5 or 6, can't recall at the moment. It's not nearly as convenient, takes longer to get in and out of the case. You do notice fussing with all the extra latches.

i do have a small dog case cover for the Peg but i found it was nice for travel but became an added nusance to have to unzip everytime i needed access, so it ended up sitting in my hotel room or rental car after i got to my destination. just too much to continually fuss with two cases if youre reaching for your mandolin frequently ...i would think especially if youre running around a festival with jams going on. i gave up on mine for the most part.

There were problems with the interiors coming apart at one time, but I think that's been resolved. Mine is a newer one and i've not had any problems.

All in all, my Calton's are just easier and lighter, so i go with them.

Having said all that, i don't think you can go wrong with the Peg. :grin:

I pretty much agree with all that except to say that any case with a case cover would present the same problems , no? I pretty much use it for travel and sometimes when it is very cold in the winter. The Peg is heavier than my Calton but I find that this is mitigated somewhat by the way that the shoulder strap is attached so that the case hangs vertically from the shoulder, way easier walking through doors etc. More latches, yes, but I like the way they work. Again though, both great cases.

mtucker
Mar-12-2011, 12:54pm
I do like the D ring system on the Peg, does take a little getting use to. Not crazy about the rubber-over-web carrying handle ..pinches the hand slightly, so would probably opt for a flatter leather one like the Calton, i think they are available. i do like the latches on the Peg better than the Calton, although kind of a double edge sword because the Caltons probably hold better when not locked .. i seem to recall big joe mentioning that he and Sam were cooking up a carbon Peg that would be spec'd w/ three latches instead, possibly due to much lighter weight? ... wondering if the current case is okay with fewer latches ...guess that's for Sam to answer.

The new carbon calton with the slanted box is a killer case. The slanted belly in it keeps anything from really moving. it's a dream to carry, it's so damn light!

mritter
Mar-12-2011, 1:40pm
mtucker,

Do you have the velvet or tartan interior on your Pegasus?

mandroid
Mar-12-2011, 2:04pm
I seem to have put the Carbon fiber thing on the inside and take it, one of those Mad Mix A5's,
in it's much lighter Eastman Case of fiberglass, ... And with Back pack straps, take it everywhere ..

mtucker
Mar-12-2011, 2:35pm
mtucker,

Do you have the velvet or tartan interior on your Pegasus?
no, didn't order w/ tartan because my instruments are varnish and i'd heard it could work against finish and had had gluing issues, dunno for certain, so aired on the conservative side.

btw, seems to me after all is said and done w/shipping/duty etc. it's north of $1 grand to get one to the u.s...

mritter
Mar-12-2011, 4:07pm
mtucker,
Sam said that price included shipping (460). Not sure about any duties etc.

Martin Stevens
Mar-12-2011, 4:52pm
ya, I got quoted at around $740 including shipping.

Tartan isn't good for varnish huh? That's too bad... I like the look of that a lot better.

hmm if I shouldn't get Tartan and if this one would fit my mando, I might go with what they have in stock.... http://www.pegasus-cases.com/stock.html

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-13-2011, 2:43am
I can't understand why CF materials are regarded as 'superior' or 'desirable' simply because they're CF !. Here's one pic of many that i found of CF failures under very little stress. :- Quote.
'there was no weight on the carbon bar other than the bike's at the time of the impact. Astonishing that such an innocuous spill could result in such a failure'69602

There's a strong chance that the CF handlebar was already damage structurally,but with CF you can't SEE the underlying damage. Hence the very little force need to make if fail totally. You'll get exactly the same with a CF case if it's struck hard,
Ivan
www.bustedcarbon.com/

mritter
Mar-13-2011, 6:59am
I can't understand why someone would carry a mandolin on their handlebars, CF or otherwise.