PDA

View Full Version : Elkhorn Mandolins

Mrlevy
Feb-26-2011, 7:45am
Anyone have any opinions on Elkhorn mandos?

ebeja
Feb-26-2011, 5:33pm
I remebered that I am a guest ony in this forum and therefore I have deleted my comment politely.

ebeja
Feb-26-2011, 5:35pm
deleted by myself

pjlama
Feb-26-2011, 6:01pm
I played a couple at Teluride and was impressed by what I could tell in the environment. The fit and finish was there, it was hard to determine the sound but from what I could tell it also seemed there as well. Good volume too. Gibson was there too and with the exception of an DMM they out shined the usual suspects. If you're thinking about one I'd think that Rob would give an approval period. Well worth a try in my opinion.

Trey Young
Feb-27-2011, 11:19pm
Hey there Mrlevy,
I currently own two Elkhorn mandolins and love them both! I bought Elkhorn #3, an A-5 model, about three years ago and have been very pleased with it. It has great tone and the fit and finish is pretty good on it, it has a couple of places where the stain bled through onto the binding, which he told me before I bought it that he wasn't happy with the finish work on it and therefore adjusted the price accordingly. Then about two weeks ago I became the owner of Elkhorn #20, an F-5 model. I've been meaning to post a full review and some pictures here on the cafe, but have been swamped at work and had alot of extra curriculat activities going on too. In short though, #20 is a beast! It is exactly what I wanted in a mandolin tone wise. It plays wonderfully and has great volume and cuts like crazy. The fit and finish on this one is incredible, he's obviously been working on that end of things. Like I said, I'm going to post a proper review and some pictures and hopefully a soundclip or video soon. Also, Robb is a really nice guy and real easy to work with (and a heck of a mandolin picker on top of it all). I'd definitely suggest getting in touch with him if you are interested in his mandolins.

pjlama
Mar-01-2011, 12:33am
I checked out the Elkhorn site and saw this beauty available, I could only get this image but this mandolin is stunning.

Tim S
Mar-01-2011, 11:38am
I have been taste-testing mandolins for a long time and I can honestly say that the Elkhorn F5 that I currently own is definitely one of the best (if not the best) sounding mandolins that I have had in my hands. It has a deep dark throaty voice and packs a huge midrange punch. The highs are very nice as well, chimy clear and loud in the higher registers. Whether you play soft or hard, this thing responds and delivers. Robb is a great player too so he knows the value and importance of tone/volume/playability in a mandolin.

Trey Young
Mar-01-2011, 3:51pm
Tim, the response to a soft touch is one of the things I love about my F-5. The A-5 required a bit more digging in to get volume out of it, but the F-5 (I suspect b/c of the red spruce top and the experience of building 17 more mandolins between the A-5 and F-5) projects loud and clear with a very light touch and just gets louder the more you dig in, but maintains the seperation of notes and clarity. I actually played my first full gig (played for about 2 hrs straight) with the F-5 last Saturday and I went from really liking it to absolutely loving it!

pjlama
Mar-02-2011, 11:11am
I'm going to make it a point to visit with Rob in the next few months. He's way too close and seems like he's hitting his stride. I love the idea of playing a local builders stuff.

Elkhorn1
Mar-02-2011, 6:16pm
Thanks for all the kind words about my mandolins. I've been quite busy building some really quality and beautiful sounding instruments in the past few years. I feel like I'm still learning something new with each build and have been paying very close attention to building mandolins with a consistent quality of tone, playability, and asthetics. I'm really happy with the tone I've been achieving in my instruments and only look forward to how they will all mature. Thanks again for all the support from Elkhorn mandolin owners and also to all the great folks along the way that have guided me in the right direction in learning the fine art of mandolin building.

barryband
Mar-02-2011, 8:22pm
I have been playing an Elkhorn for quite sometime now, and #11 is the only mandolin that I tour with. As to be expected, all instruments vary in tone, but I have to say every one that I have played has been excellent in tone and craftsmanship. I would encourage everyone to check them out.
Barry Waldrep
www.barrywaldrep.com

pjlama
Mar-18-2011, 1:02pm
Well, the problem with these threads is that I sometimes end up with a new mandolin. This thread got me looking at the Elkhorn site and I fell in love with a little blond beauty. I emailed back and forth with Robb and we arranged to meet last Friday. We spent a little time so I could check out the object of my affection. I was not at all disappointed, quite impressed actually, so much so that said mandolin stayed with me.

Robb brought two mandolins by my place on his way to a weekend in Santa Fe. We got to play it back and forth and hear it out front. We also A/B'd it with my Stanley and I got to play the sunburst one that's available on his site. The first thing that surprised me was how traditional sounding the Elkhorn was. It had a similar voice to the Stanley but a little fatter and with more headroom. It's got a great voice, very strong and clear, good balance and note separation. To be honest this is one of the better mandolins I've owned and that's no small feat. I'll start another thread later with sound clips and more detail as I have time. He's a few pics of #21, truly a fantastic instrument.

Trey Young
Mar-18-2011, 1:49pm
Congratulations on the new addition PJ. I still need to post a full fledged review of my new Elkhorn, #20, but your comment
The first thing that surprised me was how traditional sounding the Elkhorn was. It had a similar voice to the Stanley but a little fatter and with more headroom. seems like a good to the point review. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on #21.

Cheryl Watson
Mar-18-2011, 1:53pm
PJ, that Elkhorn is gorgeous and so is that one in the classifieds right now. It really caught my eye. Someone will get real nice mandolin in that one, I'll bet.

Don Grieser
Mar-18-2011, 2:03pm
That's a beauty, PJ. I've known Robb for years, and jammed a lot with him at the Durango Meltdown. I remember getting to play some of the first ones he built at the Meltdown and how impressed I was. He's owned some great mandolins to study--Nugget, Gilchrist, Ellis to name a few--and he's obviously done his homework well. I haven't been to the Meltdown for a few years, but I need to get up there and try out some of his latest. Hope to see you up there, Robb!

pjlama
Mar-18-2011, 2:09pm
Congratulations on the new addition PJ. I still need to post a full fledged review of my new Elkhorn, #20, but your comment seems like a good to the point review. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on #21.

Yeah, I'd like to hear more too. I'll take the time to do it justice a little later.

pjlama
Mar-18-2011, 2:10pm
PJ, that Elkhorn is gorgeous and so is that one in the classifieds right now. It really caught my eye. Someone will get real nice mandolin in that one, I'll bet.

I got to hear that one and play it and it was just as good, a little darker and drier but a beast in volume and tone.

pjlama
Mar-18-2011, 2:11pm
That's a beauty, PJ. I've known Robb for years, and jammed a lot with him at the Durango Meltdown. I remember getting to play some of the first ones he built at the Meltdown and how impressed I was. He's owned some great mandolins to study--Nugget, Gilchrist, Ellis to name a few--and he's obviously done his homework well. I haven't been to the Meltdown for a few years, but I need to get up there and try out some of his latest. Hope to see you up there, Robb!

Well, next time you're in town stop by and check this one out it's really something.

Don Grieser
Mar-18-2011, 2:22pm
I will certainly do that. I may be in Alb the last week of May sometime. I'll let you know and bring some of my mando toys and we'll have some fun.

pjlama
Mar-18-2011, 2:37pm
I will certainly do that. I may be in Alb the last week of May sometime. I'll let you know and bring some of my mando toys and we'll have some fun.

Sounds great, I'll be around and have fun stuff to play as well.

santamando
Mar-21-2011, 2:31am
"Well, the problem with these threads is that I sometimes end up with a new mandolin. This thread got me looking at the Elkhorn site and I fell in love with a little blond beauty. I emailed back and forth with Robb and we arranged to meet last Friday. We spent a little time so I could check out the object of my affection. I was not at all disappointed, quite impressed actually, so much so that said mandolin stayed with me.

Robb brought two mandolins by my place on his way to a weekend in Santa Fe."

I talked to Robb today, I'm in Santa Fe heading up to Durango Friday to check out his Koa beauty. He mentioned he came down this way. I assume it was for you. If you feel like jamming I would love to meet some new players!

barryband
Mar-21-2011, 2:36pm
I am very impressed with all of Robb's work. And even though they all sound different, he is very consistent in every way, and all that I have ever played sound great.
Barry Waldrep