PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bush

Danny Clark
Feb-15-2004, 9:43pm
Are any of the Sam Bush cds instumental?

levin4now
Feb-15-2004, 10:10pm
all i know is that "Howlin' at the Moon" and "Peaks of Telluride" are NOT totally instrumental.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Feb-15-2004, 11:42pm
I saw in an interview with sam that he had never done a "mandolin" cd until Sam and Dave with David Grisman. This one is all instrumental and features both

delsbrother
Feb-16-2004, 12:23am
AMM, "Hold On.." does have singing on it.

Pete Martin
Feb-16-2004, 3:39am
If you can get copies of them, Sam and Alan Munde did "Poor Richards Almanac" and "Together Again for the First Time".

Sam was a side man on MANY instrumental CDs, like Bobby Hicks' Texas Crapshooter, Mundes records, Butch Robbins and countless others. Often his best stuff was on these as a side man.

AlanN
Feb-16-2004, 4:17am
His Late As Usual is probably 75% non-vocal, and it's a great record, for sure. Jethro is on a cut or 2.

LeftCoastMark
Feb-16-2004, 10:50am
I believe Sam's instructional book/CD package is all instrumental, I haven't listened to mine for a while, but recall great versions of tunes slowed down and at speed....

AlanN
Feb-16-2004, 11:00am
Yeah, great stuff on that pkg.

Leather Britches
Norman and Nancy
Broadway
Funk 55
Russian Rag
Tom and Jerry
Banjalin a.k.a. Busy Fingers
+ some others, kickoffs, etc.

jeffshuniak
Feb-16-2004, 12:09pm
he was on prairy home companion last night. you guys probably already knew about it.

levin4now
Feb-16-2004, 2:22pm
i have his 'reperoire' book and cd. great songs and instruction.

i do not have the sam and dave cd, but isn't " 'cept ol Bill" on that cd? I thought it had singing as well. (at least the live version i have is full of singing

mandoryan
Feb-16-2004, 5:01pm
Also he's on Drive and Tales From the Acoustic Planet, part 2 from Bela Fleck. Very good representations of his fiery playing.

jaizbones
Feb-22-2004, 8:24pm
Does anyone know where to get a copy of Sam and Alan's early
CD. Have heard it mentioned a lot and am a fan-student but cannot find it, Or if some one would like to shoot me a copy, all legalities aside that would be great.

Ya think?

Crowder
Feb-22-2004, 9:56pm
Also he's on Drive and Tales From the Acoustic Planet, part 2 from Bela Fleck. Very good representations of his fiery playing.
"Drive" is probably among the top 5 "new acoustic" recordings ever, no matter who you ask. Sam really plays his butt off on that one. They all do!

Then there is "Strength in Numbers: The Telluride Sessions" which is all instrumental. Also, I think one of those Appalacian Waltz-type projects that came out a few years ago features Sam; I know I saw him playing with some of those guys on PBS one night.

Wm. Joe Batterton
Feb-24-2004, 3:08pm
All of his solo albums have some vocals on them.

mandoryan
Feb-27-2004, 5:17pm
I agree Crowder. I love Drive. It's my standby when I'm sick of all my other cds. Can't ever get sick of it. I love Whitewater. It's one of greatest New Acoustic songs ever written. All the players do a spectacular job on it! Tony Rice especially tears that guitar a new one.

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2004, 5:36pm
..."Drive" ranks right up there in the top 3 with me...

chirorehab
Feb-29-2004, 5:42pm
He plays on Aubrey Haynie's last album Bluegrass Fiddle Album. Also, Tony Rice is on guitar.

Very good album.

Eric