PDA

View Full Version : Great grandfathers mandolin

randallbud
Feb-25-2011, 2:07pm
I am looking for any information about this mandolin. My son plays the fiddle and has a desire to play the mandolin. I knew my dad had one from his grandfather tucked away. It hadn't been played in years but we pulled it out tuned it up and I would like to find out any information about it to document and pass on with it. I have come up empty handed with any internet searches. The logo says "Orpheus" and underneath the logo says "Made in USA". Stamped inside are two numbers "4065 320" and then stamped separately "S-40". Its a great looking instrument. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim Garber
Feb-25-2011, 2:23pm
A sort of wild guess here: made by Harmony. Serial number is similar and they also would stamp the mfg date corresponding to a season, so this would be made Summer 1940. I don't exactly recall this as a Harmony model but it has certain characteristics that resemble Harmony.

BTW you don't have to post in two places on the forum -- we will find you with one post.

Nick Royal
Feb-25-2011, 3:10pm
Might have an o.k. tone. Why not take it to a repairperson, and get it set up. Then have your son find someone who plays the mandolin, and can give him some pointers. Playing the fiddle can be a help for the mandolin.
Nick

Schlegel
Feb-25-2011, 10:36pm
Jim, Mike E. mentioned in a recent post that F-(number) or S-(number) on the Harmony mandolins meant First or Second half of the year. Makes sense, otherwise you'd never tell Spring from Summer from just an S. So, this is mid-late 1940, and you are right to say Harmony.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-25-2011, 11:07pm
I just realized there are two of these threads :)

I knew I already answered this.