PDA

View Full Version : Great grandfathers Orpheus Mandolin

randallbud
Feb-25-2011, 2:01pm
I am looking for any information about this mandolin. My son plays the fiddle and has a desire to play the mandolin. I knew my dad had one from his grandfather tucked away. It hadn't been played in years but we pulled it out tuned it up and I would like to find out any information about it to document and pass on with it. I have come up empty handed with any internet searches. The logo says "Orpheus" and underneath the logo says "Made in USA". Stamped inside are two numbers "4065 320" and then stamped separately "S-40". Its a great looking instrument. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim Garber
Feb-25-2011, 2:24pm
A sort of wild guess here: made by Harmony. Serial number is similar and they also would stamp the mfg date corresponding to a season, so this would be made Summer 1940. I don't exactly recall this as a Harmony model but it has certain characteristics that resemble Harmony.

BTW you don't have to post in two places on the forum -- we will find you with one post.

allenhopkins
Feb-25-2011, 4:02pm
I think Jim's onto something. Here's (http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-21882-Antique-Orpheus-Six-6-String-Guitar) an Orpheus guitar -- offered for the princely sum of $35 -- and it sure has that Harmony look. Harmony and the other big Chicago manufacturers, provided a variety of labels for individual stores, distributors, catalog sellers etc. The "figure" in the back wood looks painted on, another common feature of Harmony instruments. The top purfling is really nice, though, the tailpiece is engraved, and the bridge has an ivory or bone saddle. I'd guess it's early in the 20th century, 1920's or before, and a higher-end model.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-25-2011, 6:38pm
It's a Harmony, made in the second half of 1940 in Chicago, Illinois. The assumed Summer Fall date code was set straight by a former Harmony employee as standing for the first half and second half of the year.

allenhopkins
Feb-26-2011, 11:23am
Mike's probably hit it straight on. Surprises me, though, to see a '40's Harmony with that kind of purfling etc.; looks too "nice" to be from mid-century, if you know what I mean. I usually associate that level of ornamentation with an earlier vintage. Perhaps a "high-end" label from Harmony? The Orpheus guitar I found, looks like one of Harmony's basic student models, though.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2011, 2:13pm
So I was a little close... right?

Jake Wildwood
Feb-27-2011, 2:18pm
Definitely a '40s Harmony. Tailpiece looks like it's not original.

The purfling is not a surprise to me... it's straight off of period Harmony archtop guitars of the middle-grade variety. I've worked on quite a few with that stuff on em. Harmony products were always confusing during that time... painted faux grain (sometimes even on top of plain-Jane maple) mixed with nice trim was pretty typical from c.1935 through c.1950. Guess it was the fashion of the day!

MikeEdgerton
Feb-27-2011, 5:18pm
Other than the engraving I have the same tailpiece on a Regal that is a little earlier. It could have come with it, possibly, maybe. :)