PDA

View Full Version : Are Gibsons Worth The Money??

Tim1
Feb-25-2011, 11:10am
I was searching the web and noticed the huge price difference in Gibson Mandolins. Are they worth the price difference?

Pen
Feb-25-2011, 11:13am
Are red heads prettier than blonds?

Tim1
Feb-25-2011, 11:15am
I Get Where You Are Coming From.

Douglas McMullin
Feb-25-2011, 11:17am
Gibson mandolins seem to be on par with other US makers in terms of cost. In what comparison are you seeing a huge price difference?

Big Joe
Feb-25-2011, 11:25am
If a Gibson is what you want they are certainly worth the price. If you want something else then the answer is no. Each product is priced for the market they are attempting to obtain. In that case, Gibson instruments must be worth what they are priced at. They sell them all so somebody thinks they are.

Mattg
Feb-25-2011, 11:32am
Are red heads prettier than blonds?

I married a red head so.....yes!

Jim Ferguson
Feb-25-2011, 11:57am
I bought my 2004 Gibson F-9 in Dec 2004 for $1,600.00 new.........it has been and still is worth every cent I paid for it....:-) If I were in the market for a new mando today, I would give serious consideration to purchasing a Gibson as well as looking at the other mandos in the price range I would be looking in.
Peace,
Jim

CES
Feb-25-2011, 12:10pm
Tim, the answer to your question depends on how much you're willing/able to spend and personal preference. There are mandolin and banjo players who will ONLY play a Gibson and believe that all other instruments are inferior. Before I bought my Silverangel econo model a local grasser (as in bluegrasser) suggested, "Just buy a Gibson, and don't even worry about anything else." Because Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs played Gibsons and because of a tradition of building quality instruments, Gibson's are considered the BG standard my many.

There are independent luthiers and other manufacturers (Collings, Weber, Breedlove to name a few) who I'm sure feel their products are at least as good if not better than Gibson's.

There are import companies who will claim to be as good as Gibson, but most of the time that's not true IMO, though all manufacturers produce some outstanding instruments and some duds, so exceptions exist.

A better question for me is, "Does my skill level justify the purchase of a top-tier/priced instrument?" So far the answer is no, and I'm so pleased with the feel and tone of my Silverangel that I think it'll be a while before I succomb to MAS again. And, because of the Gibson "hype," I tend to shy away from them (I have at least a little bit of individuality and am also a bargain hunter/bang for my buck kind of person)...but, that doesn't mean that if I find the right mandolin the next time I'm looking and it happens to have "The Gibson" on the headstock that I won't buy it.

So, yeah, sometimes and to some people Gibson's are worth the extra money...

EdHanrahan
Feb-25-2011, 12:11pm
Yeah, everybody knows that Ferraris are way too expensive and they'll never sell a danged one of 'em. (Hmmm... sort of an automotive redhead?)

Nick Triesch
Feb-25-2011, 12:14pm
They are the most famous mandolins in the world. If you ever need to sell it you can get most of your money back. They are the mandolin that started it all. The best mandolin I have ever heard or played was a Gibson Doyal Larson F5. Is a Porsche 911 worth $90,000? To me, you bet! Nick

Rodney Riley
Feb-25-2011, 12:22pm

Goooood answer Matt. Lots of brownie points.... (But chocolate and flowers would probably get you farther... ;) )

Brent Hutto
Feb-25-2011, 12:26pm
I don't own a Gibson so I guess they're not worth it.

But wait a minute, lots of other folks own Gibsons so they must be worth it!

Aiiiieee...it's almost like the answer totally depends on who you're asking...how can that be?

yankees1
Feb-25-2011, 12:38pm
I will be satisfied with Old Wave and Mowry!

mandroid
Feb-25-2011, 12:51pm
All F5 mandolins are a homage to the original Gibson Design.

Elliot Luber
Feb-25-2011, 12:52pm
If a Gibson is what you want they are certainly worth the price. If you want something else then the answer is no. Each product is priced for the market they are attempting to obtain. In that case, Gibson instruments must be worth what they are priced at. They sell them all so somebody thinks they are.

If a Gibson is what you want, nothing else will satisfy you at any price.

Willie Poole
Feb-25-2011, 2:08pm
To me it depends on how you measure value, I can`t make any more money with a Gibson than I can with out one so that being said thery aren`t worth the money but when someone goes to sell one he will make out a lot better selling a Gibson than most anything else...I own a Gibson made mandolin but when playing out in public I don`t play it and don`t have a real valid reason for not doing it except that I don`t want it to get all scratched and beat up, I got a great deal on it when I bought it and if I ever decide to sell it I want it to bring as much cash as it can....So that one is/was worth what I paid for it....

Willie

Chuck Naill
Feb-25-2011, 2:20pm
They sell them all so somebody thinks they are.

Sometimes the dealers wished they "all" would sell when they have to inventory as much as they do to continue to be a Gibson dealer.

I was pondering these endless "worth" questions. I know men who spend thousands on golf, motorcycles. tractors, etc which result in a whole lot more that $10-15K. I figure if a person can spend $15K on something they love and that's all it takes, they will have spent much much less that what some will spend over a life time on other activities.

Brent Hutto
Feb-25-2011, 3:05pm
Chuck,

Do the fiddle forums have weekly "Is [fill in the blank] worth it?" threads? Or is it just guitar and mandolin forums.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-25-2011, 3:13pm

And this is the voice of who knows.

Mike Bunting
Feb-25-2011, 3:14pm
I was pondering these endless "worth" questions. I know men who spend thousands on golf, motorcycles. tractors, etc which result in a whole lot more that $10-15K. I figure if a person can spend $15K on something they love and that's all it takes, they will have spent much much less that what some will spend over a life time on other activities.

I think that has to do with the North American propensity to have this need to attach a monetary value on everything.

allenhopkins
Feb-25-2011, 3:36pm
Basically unanswerable question. The reply is, "What's it worth to you?" I think that $150-225K for a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5 -- when I'm writing this in my house which would probably bring $175K on the open market -- is a lot of money. Were I a full-time professional bluegrass mandolinist with a nationally-touring band and a recording contract, I might have a different opinion.

The ultimate determiner of "worth," in our capitalist society, is what an object can be purchased for in the marketplace. If Gibson is selling its mandolins at the "list price," or some discount therefrom, then by definition they're "worth" what they're selling for.

All kinda variables enter into determining market price, but the ultimate decision is the one that the prospective purchaser makes. He/she may be influenced by perceived quality, reputation, history, others' recommendations, prestige, the example of other well-known mandolinists, availability, and a host of other factors, some of which we may consider extraneous. When I get this question, my usual response is, "Play the Gibson (or whatever), play a bunch of others, consider your goals, your budget, and your personal preferences, then decide." Therefore, I have a reputation as being "not all that helpful," since most of those who ask want a simple "yes" or "no."

So, try a "Doyal Larson" F-5 (doesn't he play with Quicklime?), try a Weber and a Collings and a Silverangel and anything else you can get your hands on, and see if you think any or all are "worth the price." Don't forget that no two mandolins are identical, even the same make and model, and that strings and picks and atmospheric conditions and the phases of the moon all can influence the sound. Then pick one (or more). You'll never get definitive answer, or find the ultimate instrument -- and that's half the fun.

Andrew B. Carlson
Feb-25-2011, 4:12pm
I'll admit it. Yes, I want a Gibson. But I'll have to get one before playing a Heiden, Stanley, Brentrup, Ellis, Kimble, Red Diamond, Gilchrist, Dudenbostel etc. so I'm content with it for a long time. I don't think I'd be responsible for what happened if I started to play some of those other brands. Maybe 40 years down the road, when Gibson will probably still be a huge name, the smaller builders names' will be all but forgotten and I'll be able to afford them all! Wait, I think I was dreaming for a second there. Sorry. :sleepy:

Those here on the forum will never forget the names of the independent builders. And there's a lot of us here. That means there will be a lot of naturally distressed, high end vintage mandolins out there 40 years down the road! :grin:

Barry Platnick
Feb-25-2011, 4:23pm
Mine is!

Mandolin Mick
Feb-25-2011, 4:23pm
You betcha!!! :mandosmiley:

Big Joe
Feb-25-2011, 6:35pm
Chuck... Gibson sells everything they can make. Dealers should be able to. I don't sell new Gibsons, but I can't keep used ones in the shop. They go very fast. Must be a reason. That certainly does not devalue any other brand, but I think Gibson has proven over its history that they must be worth what they cost.

John Flynn
Feb-25-2011, 7:00pm
They are worth the money only if you want a great instrument AND that signature tone AND the nameplate, which a lot of people do. Nothing wrong with that. But remove one of those variables and you can get what you want for less. Nothing wrong with that either.

Douglas McMullin
Feb-25-2011, 7:04pm
I am still looking for input on the relative cost of Gibson compared to other higher end builders. It's hard to make a direct comparison, but it seems that Gibson's are in a similar price range with both Weber & Collings, and they are cheaper when compared to plenty of the higher end builders. With the exception of some of their limited production high end models, I never thought of Gibson mandos as being particularly pricey.

Chuck Naill
Feb-25-2011, 7:34pm
Chuck,

Do the fiddle forums have weekly "Is [fill in the blank] worth it?" threads? Or is it just guitar and mandolin forums.

Good question, Brent. I don't think I have ever read such a thread. However, the violin market brings together a reverance for makers that you don't see as much of in fiddlers. After all, most of the heros of OT fiddlers used fiddles from the Sears and Roebuck catalogues.

chuck

Perry
Feb-25-2011, 7:41pm
Gibson always seems to creep up their retail prices so that helps when you sell yours second hand. For that maybe they are worth it. I've not played the the real expensive Gibson's but I've played a few of their lower end F's in the 3.5k range. (forgot what they call them) They sounded sort of dead to me. The models I played seemed to to go for that cheap thrill of a little perceived warmth in the bottom but in doing so sacrificed the zing.

mandolirius
Feb-25-2011, 7:46pm
I was searching the web and noticed the huge price difference in Gibson Mandolins. Are they worth the price difference?

It says something (I don't know what) that this place can generate two pages of replys to a post that was anything but clear. What is this huge price difference? Like the difference between an F9 and a Master Model? The difference between a Loar and a snakehead? I mean, "Gibson mandolins" hardly tells you anything when you consider the company's been making mandolins for over a hundred years and is still one of the largest makers, with a fairly wide product line.

Chuck Naill
Feb-25-2011, 7:48pm
Chuck... Gibson sells everything they can make. Dealers should be able to. I don't sell new Gibsons, but I can't keep used ones in the shop. They go very fast. Must be a reason. That certainly does not devalue any other brand, but I think Gibson has proven over its history that they must be worth what they cost.

Gibson demands a lot from their dealers from what the one in near here expressed to me last Summer. Therefore, it does not surprise me that Gibson move them all, but that does not mean the dealer sells them all. Also, it's a pressure sell if the dealer wants to keep their dealership, they will take what they have to take to maintain their brand dealership. The market for them is electric guitars. I believe they said that they have to take a inventory from the complete line and not just what they want.

The dealer had a half dozen or more new Gibson mandolins on hanging on the wall. He said he had sold one special addition to a collector. Not sure what you could possibly mean by saying that dealers "should be able to". Given the economy, the market has decreased accordingly and this dealer was showing the affects.

chuck

jim simpson
Feb-25-2011, 11:46pm
I believe Gibsons will hold their value and deservedly so. When I first bought a Gibson F-5G, I was pleasantly surprised at how it had everything that previous mandolins lacked. It responded to dynamics well, jamming friends and bandmates noticed how different and better it sounded. When I looked to get a second back-up mandolin, I took it along to see if what I was considering was as good as it was. The mandolin in question was a Daley that I still play as a primary. It sounded like the Gibson but turned up a few notches. I guess not surprising as Sim Daley worked at Gibson. I also own a Glenn made by Allen Jones who worked at Gibson and works their again. Seems I can't escape the Gibson connection - less than 6 degrees of separation!

tburcham
Feb-26-2011, 10:01am
Th guitar standard: Martin
The mandolin standard: Gibson
Are Gibsons worth the money? Yes

jimbob
Feb-26-2011, 11:50am
I think the new , MSRP on Sam Bush and Bibey models was somehwere right around $ 10 K. You can now find very clean, almost new Sam Bush models for less than $ 5 K and Bibeys about the same. I would not pay $ 10 K for a new signature, but would certainly pay $ 5K for a nice used one. The same applies to F5G's...lots of nice used ones for just over $ 3 K.
I guess the same doesn't apply for those old, early 20's models....:)

JeffD
Feb-26-2011, 12:20pm
I think that has to do with the North American propensity to have this need to attach a monetary value on everything.

I am not convinced there is anything North American about it. I suspect is pretty universal human trait. I have several close European friends (France and Germany), one or two of whom routinely ask what I paid for this or that and what this or that is worth.

But we North Americans sure do it a lot.

JeffD
Feb-26-2011, 12:25pm
Q: Are Gibsons Worth the Money??

A: Yes.

Paul Busman
Feb-26-2011, 3:57pm

Ditto :grin:
Plus, she bought me my mandolin a coupla years back. OK, it's not a Gibson, it's "only" a Fullerton Gloucester. However, it plays like a dream and I can't see spending the money that it would cost to get anything marginally better. I'm happy.

Andrew B. Carlson
Feb-26-2011, 4:39pm
For those of you who own a Gibson MM or DMM: I don't expect that this mandolin cured your MAS. It may have abated it a bit I suspect. But will you ever get rid of it? Barring all unfortunate financial situations, would you ever decide to move on from the MM or DMM for another mandolin to replace it?

Buck
Feb-26-2011, 5:01pm
For those of you who own a Gibson MM or DMM: I don't expect that this mandolin cured your MAS. It may have abated it a bit I suspect. But will you ever get rid of it? Barring all unfortunate financial situations, would you ever decide to move on from the MM or DMM for another mandolin to replace it?

If they do, they won't do better in a new Gibson. These are simply as good as they get. I've been playing guitar mostly for the last few years, but the MM's and DMM's do catch my ear in a most appealing way.

BTW, redheads are best. No doubt about that!

Bernie Daniel
Feb-26-2011, 5:18pm
For me yes.

First however, Gibsons are not the most expensive mandolins out there by a long shot -- except possibly for the relatively rare situation created by Loar-signed F-5's or the like.

Usually a good Gilchrist or Nugget (and some other makers) will trade hands for a lot more dollars than new Gibson DMM.

BUT what Gibson gives you that no other quality mandolin can is a link back the beginnings of the carved-top, flat-back mandolin (1900's); the mandolin glory days (1910 - 1920); and on through the origins of bluegrass (1940's) and through to the present time. Gibson has been there all the while -- a rich history.

All the rest of the mandolin makers came along much later. That is not worth something to everyone but it is very important to some. Your call.

Flyboy
Feb-26-2011, 5:25pm
I don't think the red head/blonde analogy is a good one.

Could I offer "Harley Davidson" as a meaningful alternative?

Barry Platnick
Feb-26-2011, 5:27pm
I love my '03 MM and I dont think I'll ever sell it.....but my MAS seems incurable!!
Maybe I'll be one of those mando-weenies with too many amazing mandolins....I sure hope so!

hank
Feb-26-2011, 5:57pm
"noticed the huge price difference in Gibson Mandolins. Are they worth the price difference?" This question (to my way of thinking) is not asking if all Gibsons are worth what they cost but is a new higher end model worth the extra dollars over a basic lower end model. "NOTE: From the lowest to the highest priced models, the differences between Gibson mandolins are essentially cosmetic. The "A" is the same body as the "F" model, but without the scroll." This quote is from Janet Davis's internet ad. but this isn't 100% accurate with the MM & DMM's that are in the very high end market of the best luthiers. These models get more labor and attention to the details of tone and volume leading particulars to be competitive with the very high end market. Also the Goldrush and Larson models have smaller apertures resulting in a different sound dynamic. The price of labor and materials for cosmetics is what it is but the price of a exceptional sounding Gibson isn't as clear. Some F5G's, etc. may sound better than a fern or signature model. The only way to tell the difference is to play them yourself and make your own decision.

pjlama
Feb-26-2011, 6:11pm
Q: Are Gibsons Worth the Money??

A: Yes.

Ditto.

Mandobart
Feb-26-2011, 6:17pm
I don't think the red head/blonde analogy is a good one.

Could I offer "Harley Davidson" as a meaningful alternative?

I think the HD analogy is a very good one. As a motorcyclist first and Harley rider second, I'll be the first to say there are many motorcycles out there that outperform HD from a design, handling, comfort and affordability standpoint. Especially when you compare HD's of the 70's and 80's with the competiotion they had then. However, how many American motorcyle companies are there that have been here since the beginning?

That said, I bought a Harley decades ago for two reasons; I'd always wanted one, and I could finally afford one. I've never owned a Gibson nor lusted after one like I did my Harley. But, it could be there are some Gibson owners who buy into the brand for the same reasons I bought into HD?

Glassweb
Feb-26-2011, 6:28pm
The great thing about Gibsons is that they have a very unique, throaty tone. Talking about the f hole mandolins here. If you want "the Gibson sound" get a Gibson. I once played an F5G that was one of the finest sounding mandolins I've ever played. Not to mention those two DMMs I played at Mandolin Bros. YIKES!

Bernie Daniel
Feb-26-2011, 6:40pm
I think the HD analogy is a very good one. As a motorcyclist first and Harley rider second, I'll be the first to say there are many motorcycles out there that outperform HD from a design, handling, comfort and affordability standpoint. Especially when you compare HD's of the 70's and 80's with the competiotion they had then. However, how many American motorcyle companies are there that have been here since the beginning?

That said, I bought a Harley decades ago for two reasons; I'd always wanted one, and I could finally afford one. I've never owned a Gibson nor lusted after one like I did my Harley. But, it could be there are some Gibson owners who buy into the brand for the same reasons I bought into HD?

Amen. As soon as we get this Ohio property sold and can head out to the middle of fly-over country a Harley is first on my list before a DMM -- wouldn't dream of any other brand of motorbike -- "black leather and red hair are my favorite color schemes".

Gerard Dick
Feb-26-2011, 7:25pm
Yeah, everybody knows that Ferraris are way too expensive and they'll never sell a danged one of 'em. (Hmmm... sort of an automotive redhead?) yep a "testa rossa" no less.:grin: Back to the original poster, If you think they are not worth the money try bargaining the price down and see how far you get.:))

hank
Feb-26-2011, 7:30pm
Where is Fly-over country Bernie? I'm not familiar with the term.

Murphy Slaw
Feb-26-2011, 8:17pm
Gibson can price their mandolins and acoustic guitars a tad higher, and make fewer, because their big moneymaker is Epiphone.

I doubt they sell many of the new 6K (Mfg sugg retail $7738.00) Jackson Browne Model A acoustic guitars.

Mandobart
Feb-26-2011, 8:43pm

The bulk of the US, between the coasts. Stuff you just fly over. Like this:

L-D824LHti4

Markus
Feb-26-2011, 8:48pm
If you're buying a mandolin you ever plan to sell, then I would say Gibson is well worth the money as resale value is good.

If it's your mandolin for life ... then I see no reason to even look at the name on the headstock when shopping - it's all sound and feel.

I've played a couple Gibsons that were well worth the money in my opinion, I've played a few that seemed expensive for what they were. Given the variance among individual instruments ... par for the course in my book.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-27-2011, 12:10pm

That is sometimes a kind of dismissive adjective used to describe the entire middle of the USA --i.e., not the east or west coast! I think it originated from airline passengers who fly over the area going from the Atlantic to the Pacific and back! :)

My favorite part of "fly-over" country is western North Dakota and Wyoming. I like open spaces, mostly empty roads, and low density population!

My wife however likes the Smoky Mountains -- she wants to go south and east -- I want to go north and west. I think well compromise on south and west! So sounds like maybe New Mexico or Arizona here we come.

JeffD
Feb-27-2011, 12:24pm
That is sometimes a kind of dismissive adjective used to describe the entire middle of the USA --i.e., not the east or west coast! I think it originated from airline passengers who fly over the area going from the Atlantic to the Pacific and back! :)

Yea it refers to the "real America" that is purported to be discounted by media, marketing, and polls in their focus on trends and happenings in NYC and LA. "The rest is just fly over country."

Flyboy
Feb-27-2011, 12:48pm
Are Gibsons Worth The Money??

Definitely - if it's a vintage Gibson oval-hole. Combines the best of all possible worlds: a mandolin that looks beautiful, sounds great, has historic significance, the Gibson mojo, is reasonably priced, & will never depreciate.

What more could you possibly ask for? :mandosmiley:

pjlama
Feb-27-2011, 1:36pm
Why drink coke?
Why play a Martin?
Why play a Fender?
Why drive a Chevy?
Why play a Gibson?
Why ride a Harley? (this one is funny because I sell European bikes but rent Harleys)
Because we're Americans and those brands are part of our cultural heritage, we're trying to identify with the heritage because on some level it is comforting, it soothes us our unconscious.
FWIW, I don't do this wholly but am guilty of owning a few Fenders and driving GM cars.
So of course buying a quality instrument from a company steeped deep in our cultural heritage is worth it. My favorite mandolin I've ever owned or played was a Gibson master model. If you think they're too expensive buy used but something about having that logo on the headstock just makes us feel good, part of something larger.

Cheryl Watson
Feb-27-2011, 1:42pm
I would love to be able to cherry-pick a nice Gibson F5. Some are better than others. So I think they are worth it if a Gibson is what you really want and you got the dough. And if you buy a used one that is exceptional, then you have a good investment (that is, if the economy improves).

mandroid
Feb-27-2011, 1:55pm
Will this be a professional musician's purchase? It can be a cost of doing business deduction,
I believe, depreciated in steps, on your tax return.

Probably even if you take something else out to the gig to pick on.

Phil Vinyard
Feb-27-2011, 10:13pm
I came at it initially from the investment side. It seemed pretty clear that the Gibsons would hold their value better than many.

But within Gibson, higher priced is not always better. When I had the bucks allocated for my big mandolin purchase, I sat in Morgan Music in Lebanon MO and played every mandolin in the place, including some fairly expensive Gibsons and a couple of very nice Collins. I kept coming back to the Gibson Jam Master. I kept questioning if I'd ultimately be happy with a "stripped down" Gibson, but it still sounded better than the more expensive Gibsons in the store.

And I haven't regretted it at all, and the sound it puts out is still incredible. A good bark down low, upper register like bells, and LOUD.

So is it worth the money? Yes. Can I play well enough to max all it's capabilities? No. But some day I hope to, and I think my Gibson and I will be working towards that for a long time to come.

Fran
Feb-28-2011, 1:46pm
Those who think a Gibson isn't worth the money will buy a Epiphone!! :))

jim_n_virginia
Mar-01-2011, 12:00pm

If you want the Gibson sound then yes it is worth it to me YMMV!

You can own a Gibson ... or you can own a copy of a Gibson ... :grin:

mandograss
Mar-01-2011, 1:48pm
I can't post what I want to say, so I'll wait to see you guys in person to tell you what I think.

Mattg
Mar-03-2011, 12:16am
Maybe I'll be one of those mando-weenies ...

You baiting me Barry?