PDA

View Full Version : metaphysical BG from sweden

billkilpatrick
Feb-24-2011, 9:49am
anyone appreciating metaphysical discourse in country music might like the following - from the swedish band "sideshow string band" - scott included this in the mp3 section:

http://sideshowstringband.bandcamp.com/track/death-is-a-friend

Bertram Henze
Feb-24-2011, 10:09am
...not much more metaphysical than Mark Twain (http://www.online-literature.com/twain/319/) - seems to be an American thing. And a Scandinavian one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCEJtUNe90A), too.

billkilpatrick
Feb-24-2011, 12:05pm
"before i go, can i have a definitive response on the best mandolin for under a $1,000?"

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-25-2011, 2:32am
I absolutely loved that. Totally different, & what a voice the girl singer has !!. The Mandolin whatever make it is sounds terrific, & the whole tune is beautifully put together. Many thanks Bill,one of the nicest 'contemporary' songs i've heard in a long time & so refreshing,
Ivan:):cool:

Bertram Henze
Feb-25-2011, 3:03am
Seeing as where you live Bill, sure you ought to be prepared (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6V0Rhi_RI0) for metaphysics and how to deal with it?

billkilpatrick
Feb-25-2011, 6:33am
listened to a hundred times - not so much for the subject matter (which is great - "... gaze as busy as a knife") as for the chord changes. i think it's in the key of "g" but i simply can NOT get it.

help from my talented and way more brainier colleagues would be very much appreciated ...

Bertram Henze
Feb-25-2011, 6:46am
"... gaze as busy as a knife"

Isn't it "gaze as piercin' as a knife"? Would make more sense to me, and taking into account the slightly different accent... :confused:

Oh, and it's in C, I think, with lots of Am chords.

billkilpatrick
Feb-25-2011, 7:17am
thanks bertram - i can't remember the last time i pressed my ear to a speaker trying to get the words ...

i'll stick with "busy" - this live performance is no help, as she omits the appropriate verse:

http://bambuser.com/channel/umea2014/broadcast/1406318

hank
Feb-25-2011, 7:50am
Ivan the fantastic mandolin is Jonas playing his new Campanella. The build is highlighted here at the Cafe. Bill maybe Jonas will help us out on the mandolin part of the song. I PM'd him to let him know why his ears were burning.

hank
Feb-25-2011, 8:16am
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?53103-Campanella-A5-in-the-making-take-a-peek!

Jonas
Feb-25-2011, 8:39am
Hi guys, I hadn't noticed this thread before. I'm so glad you like our music! This tune is in A minor (or C major if you will, since it ends in C). I'm in a car right now going to the mountains (someone else is driving) but when I get home maybe I can help you with the mando part. :)

Larry S Sherman
Feb-25-2011, 8:50am
Hey, that was really good!

hank
Feb-25-2011, 8:56am
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?69918-New-music-from-my-band-have-a-listen!

Larry S Sherman
Feb-25-2011, 9:03am
Hey Jonas, how do I buy your CD? Is it available online?

Larry

Jonas
Feb-25-2011, 9:10am
We haven't made a cd yet, but the music is available at sideshowstringband.bandcamp.com but not for downloading (yet).

Larry S Sherman
Feb-25-2011, 9:23am
I'm listening online...good stuff. Can't you release it via Bandcamp? That's how I bought Joe Brent's cd.

journeybear
Feb-25-2011, 1:17pm
With a thread title like this it was only a matter of time before I took a look. Glad I did. This is a really beautiful, haunting song. Writing, arranging, performing, production - top-notch all around! :mandosmiley:

bill - Here are the chords. Note the dropped and extra beats

Am G C | F _ _ _ | G C C | F _ _ _
Am G C | F _ _ _ | G C C | F _ _ _
G G C C C C | F F F F | C C G G
Am G C | F _ _ _ | C C G G | F F F F

CODA: Am _ _ _ (no way)
C _ _ _ | Am _ _ _ | F _ _ _ | C _ _ _
C _ _ _ | Am _ F _ | Am G C F | Am G C F | Am G C F

I know Jonas said it ended on C, but I think he was thinking that it would have ended on C if it were in G (as so many bluegrass songs are). It ends on the 4th, which leaves the listener hanging on that unresolved chord - perfect for the song. I would say it's in C, with more major than minor chords.

As to "Gloomy Sunday" ... Personally, I prefer Heather Nova's singing to, well, just about anyone's (possibly excepting Sarah McLachlan). What better way to be lured toward the sleep that knows no end than by someone singing with a voice as sweetly seductive as that of the angel of death ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmFw7oLMm4

billkilpatrick
Feb-25-2011, 1:48pm
yay JB! - perfect.

hank has the words - hope he'll post them.

jonas's campanella "a" sounds so good.

what a gem!

journeybear
Feb-25-2011, 2:43pm
Prego, signore! No grande cosa. :mandosmiley:

hank
Feb-25-2011, 2:57pm
Thanks Jbear. :mandosmiley:

journeybear
Feb-25-2011, 3:15pm
Thank you, Hank.

hank
Feb-25-2011, 5:57pm
Why Certainly. Now for Dinks song, Long Tall Sally and All my tears. http://sideshowstringband.bandcamp.com/

John Flynn
Feb-25-2011, 6:44pm
I really liked that tune!!! I am not a big BG fan, but than one transcends genres. The vocals are stunning. I heard Ralph Stanley do "Oh Death" live once and I could not help thinking that part at the end was a bit of an omage to that, intentional or unintentional. Pretty cool.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-27-2011, 4:49am
Hank - Many thanks for the link to the Campanella Mandolin. The one that Jonas is playing sounds as 'liquid' as a mountain stream,totally beautiful & great playing as well,with wonderful phrasing.I had a listen to all the songs on the band's website yesterday. Ok,it's not Bluegrass,but i do listen to other genres of acoustic music & this is one of the best bands i've heard in a long while.
I managed to play along (sort of) with "Death is a Friend" & the chord changes are subtle,or was it just me being totally bewitched by the singer's voice. She has a vocal quality that knocks my socks off. I can see me buying their CD if / when it comes out.
Ivan:disbelief:
PS - JB,thanks for the chord breakdown - i'm on it !!.
PPS - Hi Jonas,i didn't know that you were on here - awesome !!!!!

hank
Feb-27-2011, 11:19am
Long Tall Sally is reminiscent of another great group The Nitty Gritty Band.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-28-2011, 2:12am
Go here :-http://bambuser.com/channel/umea2014/broadcast/1406318,
Ivan

JohanOhman
Feb-28-2011, 10:50am
Hi everybody. I'm so happy that you like our band and that little song I wrote... I noticed that some of you wanted the lyrics, so here they are (just be kind and remember that English is NOT my first language....).

Two nights ago or the night before
Death came to call on my back door
He knocked two times and the door fell in
Then in stepped the Reaper with a hellish grin
And he spoke to me with a voice like the wind
his purpose soft and clear
He said: ”Death is a friend to those who hurt”
but I don't believe a word (that) he said

I said : ”Death, oh Death, you scare me so.
I just can't believe it's my time to go
I'll follow you now if you swear it's true
but I'd sure rather live than to go with you
Then he looked at me with eyes like hellfire
his gaze as piercing as a knife ;)
he said : ”Death is a friend to those who cry”
but I don't believe the lies he said

He said: “I've been watching you for a while,
you're life's without meaning and you never smile.
I offer an end to your needless strife
I'll take your pain when I take your life”
Then he smiled at me and his skeleton grin
sent shivers down my spine
He said: “Death is a friend to those who fall”
But I don't believe him at all. No way.

Oh Death, oh death.
Just leave me alone. It ain't my time yet.
Oh death. Oh Death.
Just leave me alone. It ain't my time yet. X 3

ps. I kind of liked " as busy as a knife", might tell Josefin to sing that phrase sometime :grin:

JonZ
Feb-28-2011, 11:09am
:)For those who like metaphysics with their cartoons:

journeybear
Feb-28-2011, 11:17am
Tack, Johan. I thought it was "piercing" too, but her voice trails off so you can't hear the "ng." I also thought it was "Two nights ago or the night before" which implies the time distortion that a visit from Death can cause. ;) Just so you know, that (that) is implied in English, you're fine there.

Thanks again for helping us out. And for the fine music your band is making. Keep it up! :mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
Feb-28-2011, 12:32pm
ciao johan - great band, great song - stopped me in my tracks, first time i heard it.

re: lyrics - from a literary point of view, i recommend "busy as a knife" - more suggestive than "piercing" - more incisive ... irrevocable.

welcome to the cafe - i know you play guitar - and that other thing ... - do you play mandolin as well?

greetings from soggy italy - bill

JohanOhman
Feb-28-2011, 12:42pm
ciao johan - great band, great song - stopped me in my tracks, first time i heard it.

re: lyrics - from a literary point of view, i recommend "busy as a knife" - more suggestive than "piercing" - more incisive ... irrevocable.

welcome to the cafe - i know you play guitar - and that other thing ... - do you play mandolin as well?

greetings from soggy italy - bill

Sorry man, I'm totally useless with the mandolin... But guitar, banjo and bass is a bit better for me : )

billkilpatrick
Feb-28-2011, 1:22pm
big hearted crowd here at the cafe ...

John Flynn
Feb-28-2011, 3:34pm
Johan and Jonas:

I gotta know: Were you actually thinking of the tune "Oh Death," especially the Ralph Stanley version when writing that part at the end. The first time I heard "Death is a Friend" that was the first thing I thought of and I thought, "That is so cool!"

JohanOhman
Feb-28-2011, 4:44pm
Johan and Jonas:

I gotta know: Were you actually thinking of the tune "Oh Death," especially the Ralph Stanley version when writing that part at the end. The first time I heard "Death is a Friend" that was the first thing I thought of and I thought, "That is so cool!"

Well, I guess the answer is quite obvious. I was really inspired and taken by Ralph Stanley's song ( I heard it first in that wonderful scene of The Big Lebowski), and ever since I wanted to write a song where Death appears almost like a person. Also being from Sweden I took great inspiration from Ingemar Bergmans movie The Seventh Seal, where a man plays chess with Death. But, yeah, "Oh Death" certainly was in my mind when I wrote my song...

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-01-2011, 1:21am
Johan - that's one of the most original songs & melodies i've heard in a long while. It's certainly made us all sit up & take note(s).Josefin has a truly beautiful voice,i can't imagine any other singer delivering your song the way that she does & the harmony on the song is simply a delight.
I have your song on my PC - i'd love the rest of them on CD please,& i hope that you get one out soon. From Bill K. - "and that other thing" - do you mean BANJO Bill ??!!,
Ivan:grin:;)

journeybear
Mar-01-2011, 1:44am
While we're being metaphysical and musical, I see that a band called Death is scheduled to perform on Carson Daly Friday night. That is too common a term for a successful interweb search. But I assume it will not be a bluegrass band. ;)

Austin Koerner
Mar-01-2011, 2:01am
Jonas, can you tell the girl in the band that I love her?

Jonas
Mar-01-2011, 2:15am
Austin, I'll tell her so she knows she has options if she ever gets tired of me ;)

billkilpatrick
Mar-01-2011, 2:25am
"and that other [/I]thing" - do you mean BANJO Bill ??!!,
Ivan:grin:;)

now you've done it ...

Dan Hoover
Mar-01-2011, 9:37am
very fun stuff,really cool.....more please..

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-02-2011, 5:51am
Bill - Only the possible outbreak of Banjo / Mandolin hostilities prevented me from being provocative & using my Stelling Banjo headstock pic.as my Avatar ( only kidding - would i ever do that ??),
Ivan:grin:

billkilpatrick
Mar-02-2011, 6:47am
Bill - Only the possible outbreak of Banjo / Mandolin hostilities prevented me from being provocative & using my Stelling Banjo headstock pic.as my Avatar ( only kidding - would i ever do that ??),
Ivan:grin:

i feel your pain ... to say nothing of those around you - poor souls

hank
Mar-02-2011, 8:59am
Speaking of pain to those around you, hows the violin coming Bill? ;)

billkilpatrick
Mar-02-2011, 9:22am
Speaking of pain to those around you, hows the violin coming Bill? ;)

cruel ... my new room mates don't seem to mind - all they say is "arf!"

journeybear
Mar-02-2011, 9:36am
Only the possible outbreak of Banjo / Mandolin hostilities prevented me from being provocative & using my Stelling Banjo headstock pic.as my Avatar ( only kidding - would i ever do that ??)

I would certainly hope not. You might risk banishment into the nether world forever and aye! :(

Jesse Harmon
Mar-02-2011, 9:59am
I really loved this. It brought to mind another favorite album called "Tears of Stone". Well I go off refreshed after reading Bertram's Mark Twain addition. Turning 72 this April it gives me something to look forward to. "No one deserves old age", at least I know I'm not guilty for all of this misery in spite of my many mistakes, and as long as you have fingers and a mandolin it's still great.

hank
Mar-02-2011, 10:08am
LOL! To be truthful I don't practice around my loved ones to prevent burnout on their part. Not ready for prime time takes on a whole new meaning.

Tracey
Mar-02-2011, 10:18am
Death is a Friend caught my attention. I've just listened to the cd from the website. I REALLY REALLY like it. The opening to All My Tears was rather unexpected. Thanks to the Sideshow Stringband for makeing it available.

JonZ
Mar-02-2011, 10:20am
cruel ... my new room mates don't seem to mind - all they say is "arf!"

My bloodhound howls along whenever my kids play double stops on their fiddles. It seems to tickle his ears. Same thing with harmonica.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-03-2011, 5:39am
Is Bill K. now attempting a one man Fiddle blitz on the world at large ? - & there's a guy who won't even type Banjo !!.
Never mind Bill,get well soon, & rest easy in the full knowledge that the easiest instrument in the world to learn - is the Violin played badly. I mastered it in less than a week !,
Ivan:)):mandosmiley:
PS - Seriously,well done. The Violin is one of my very favourite instrument,in second place to the Viola.

Jonas
Mar-03-2011, 5:44am
Thanks Tracey and Jesse! :)

Bertram Henze
Mar-03-2011, 7:53am
Well I go off refreshed after reading Bertram's Mark Twain addition. Turning 72 this April it gives me something to look forward to.

Interesting. The first time I read this short story of Twain's was mere days before my father passed away, at the age of - you guessed it - 72. :whistling:

DerTiefster
Apr-21-2011, 7:20pm
I've been fascinated by "Death is a Friend," too. I focused on the lyrics for some time, thinking Death's eyes were "like a fire," and I never properly picked up "piercin' as a knife," thinking instead it might be either "busy as a knife" or "vivid as night." I thought neither was quite satisfying, given the high quality of the poetry in the rest of the song. I did think that "pointed as a knife" might work, but didn't get "piercing" from the audio. Jonas apologizes for his English? whatever for? It's lyrical, beautiful, memorable, admirable. And -I- think that "piercing" may be -just- the right word. "Busy" gives a sense of cutting here and there, not quite Death's usual personified to-the-heart blow. "Vivid" fits well with "fire" but not so well with "knife." But knives -do- pierce, and Death's aim is generally too good to dodge, so that sounds just right.

billkilpatrick
Apr-21-2011, 11:28pm
visited the "sideshow" site just yesterday for another listen - great stuff.

johan wrote "piercing" but when i get that call from nashville (...) i'm going to sing "busy" - more chilling and creepy, me thinks.

i especially like this band because, while they're not from the states, they managed to get it just right (or so it seems to me.)

DerTiefster
Apr-22-2011, 1:30am
I was confused about the lyricist when I wrote post #53 above. I understand now that Johan Ohman is the non-native English speaker who makes me feel so inadequate as a poet. Now I have (yet) a(nother) goal to shoot for. Just what I needed. (But really, thanks to all of you for such a composition as that one.)

billkilpatrick
Apr-22-2011, 2:42am
(like)

Larry S Sherman
Aug-02-2011, 6:53pm
It's been a while...is there anywhere that I can buy your new CD, or pay to download it? I heard "Death is a Friend" again today and it is still a fantastic recording.

Please...take my money!

Larry