PDA

View Full Version : David Grisman Quintet - 25th Year Reunion Concert

NewsFetcher
Feb-23-2011, 7:08am
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
David Grisman Quintet - 25th Year Reunion Concert
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001324.shtml

Acoustic Oasis has announced the availability of the David Grisman Quintet, 25th Year Reunion Concert, recorded live by Paul Knight in Tacoma, Washington on February 23, 2001 as part of the Wintergrass Festival.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

AlanN
Feb-23-2011, 10:04am
This is way cool. I remember hearing about this show. If someone is on the board who was there for this historic night (10 years ago - my word!), can you relate what it was like? I heard they did the whole first record...in order!

Tom C
Feb-23-2011, 10:34am
I have a recording of it. Now I can have a great recording of it.!

Spruce
Feb-23-2011, 1:17pm
"I heard they did the whole first record...in order!"

Yep.....
Only "problem" was that Todd was on bass instead of mandolin....
I love those twin mando parts on that record...

Robert Smyth
Feb-23-2011, 3:53pm
I was there! I remember Tony Rice had the flu and yet he shredded so hard...it was stunning how good he sounded, like he was working the flu out of his system (maybe he was on drugs)...a very special event and you knew history was being made. I also remember Peter Rowan singing and cavorting with the little people (us) out in the main atrium. Wintergrass is cool!

SternART
Feb-23-2011, 8:22pm
As I recall Todd picked up a mando when Sam played bass......and didn't some of Nickel Creek sit in on Dawg's Bull?.......as I recall it was Chris & Sara.......maybe Sean too? I had the flu that year too, so I'm a little foggy.

AlanN
Feb-24-2011, 8:30am
The buzz over this release got me into going back and looking at old DGQ stuff. A buddy sent me this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW47oIwqktE

and got me to realize how great and perfect the tunes on that first record were. Like they were the (best ever) versions of those particular numbers. Now, that could be because they were 'the first' and everything else is held up to that gold standard. But, I really think they were the pinnacle - Swing 51, Pneumonia, etc. Sort of like Dark Star on Live/Dead. They picked the absolute best for that record.

Spruce
Feb-24-2011, 8:34am
As I recall Todd picked up a mando when Sam played bass......and didn't some of Nickel Creek sit in on Dawg's Bull?.......as I recall it was Chris & Sara.......maybe Sean too? I had the flu that year too, so I'm a little foggy.

Oh yeah....
Your brain is doing better than mine, Arthur... ;)
Jon S. took a lot of pics that night, or at least I think he did.... ;)

SternART
Feb-24-2011, 11:32am
A buddy sent me this and got me to realize how great and perfect the tunes on that first record were. Like they were the (best ever) versions of those particular numbers. But, I really think they were the pinnacle - Swing 51, Pneumonia, etc. They picked the absolute best for that record.

They worked 'really hard' in the studio........night after night........cooking the stew, adding a little more spice here & there until it was up to David's level of perfection. I remember driving home as the sun was coming up numerous times, and was indeed lucky to have been a witness to this record being created. Just look at the careers these players have had since.......they were all young bucks feeling their oats, totally into the music......all growing together musically. Everyone knew it was something special while it was being created, the birth of New Acoustic music. Those live shows at the GAMH.......the audience was filled with other musicians and the intelligentsia of the Bay Area music community. It was a great era for acoustic music. So when it came time for this 25 year reunion concert I had to travel to Seattle to make the scene!