PDA

View Full Version : MM MMS-8 vs. Eastman MD515

ehursh
Feb-21-2011, 10:38am
I'm looking for a new mando in the sub 1000 range, and i'm drawn to the classic/distressed look. My heart is set on an MM MMS-8, it looks like a great intermediate mando. I'm just thinking, would I be better off saving for a bit longer and getting an Eastman MD515, in terms of playability and sound?

Robert Lane
Feb-21-2011, 10:56am
I would save for the eastman, if sound is important to you. Eastman also has a lifetime warrante. Yes the mm series mandos are pretty,but the ones I have ran accros were dull and dead sounding to me. I also like a product that a company stands behind for a lifetime of product, be it a pac rim mando or us made, that is important in my opinion.

allenhopkins
Feb-21-2011, 11:48am
Morgan Monroes are among the best-looking mandolins available. For long-term sound, playability and value, I'd go with the Eastman. The new Eastman "300" series are basic stripped-down instruments that are price-comparable, but seem to get good marks for construction and sound.

stonefingers
Feb-21-2011, 12:26pm
I have the MMS-8, and have been very happy with it (once it was properly setup). That being said, I would probably get the Eastman. Having played them both, I think the Eastman has a "crisper" sound.
I dont think you would be unhappy with the MM, but if you can resist the MAS and wait on the Eastman, I think you would be "more happy".

IMHO

Rick Cadger
Feb-22-2011, 7:34am
Eastman.

MM have not earned a great rep for sound. I'd buy an Eastman, Kentucky, Rover or The Loar before an MM.

YMMV.

nickster60
Feb-22-2011, 9:39am
Ditto what Rick said

JEStanek
Feb-22-2011, 10:56am
I've had a MM Rocky Top Collectors mandolin back in 2003. It wasn't as nice sounding as my Eastman even when both were well set up. Back then, at least, the MM finishes were thicker. Mine was made in Korea. That's been my experience. You can distress your Eastman by getting it cold then warming it up too fast to crackle your finish (I don't recommend this) or you could just play it a lot.

Jamie

300win
Feb-22-2011, 1:05pm
MM's sound like a piece of wood wishing it could be a instrument..... Eastman sounds like a mandolin. I speak from experience... I've had two MM, one a MMS8, the other a MMS5, their main problem in my opinion is the top and back are way too thick to give good tone or volume. Have not owned a Eastman, but have played a few, all were good, a couple were great.

backwoodsborn10
Feb-24-2011, 6:49pm
i've owned eastman and one of the top of the line mms. there's just no comparison in the two. 300win said it right...mms are way to thick for the instrument to kick out much sound. however i havn't played a mms-8. they may be better than the other mms? they are pretty.but then sometimes it may be good to spend a little time with a mediocre instrument. when you get a chance to spend time with a better instrument you may have developed an ear to more readily identify it. plus it's not like it's gonna be your last.