PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Benary/Levin mandolin?

John O
Feb-18-2011, 9:30pm
I was researching an old beat up mandolin my wife brought home from a rummage sale. Having really no practical knowledge of banjo or mandolin history, I am wondering if you have any information and/or opinions regarding this find. I've created a small photo gallery (on my photography website) to help with the identification. The link: http://johnohara.zenfolio.com/mandolin
The mandolin is a bowlback, with marking on the tuning head and paper label in the inside saying it's an "R.H. Benary, New York" (see photos). End metal tailpiece, while plain, says "PAT MAY 15 84". Very little online information searching for "Benary", but your makers listing says they were in NYC from 1890-98, confirmed by other web info. Also found a Swedish luthier named Herman Carlson Levin who worked for/with Benary in NYC at that time. That led me to their company called the Metropolis Musical Instrument Co., & a catalogue with pictures of their guitars and mandolins. Catalogue's illustration of the No.102 or 103 describes as 11 ribs, Rosewood, White Holly strips between, Marquetry Inlaid around Edge and Sound hole, Mahagony neck, fancy positions (seem to be Mother-of-Pearl), and a turtle shell and wood floral decorative inlay on the top wood.
The neck has been trashed, with virtually no ebony fretboard layer left intact, and the neck is only very loosely attached to the main body. Do you think I've identified this mandolin correctly, and in your opinion, is worth repairing (by a luthier, I would assume)?
Any thoughts from your perspective would be very appreciated.
John

Jim Garber
Feb-19-2011, 5:02pm
No need to post in two places. We will find you. Check your other thread.