PDA

View Full Version : What would you include ?

Bret Roberts
Oct-28-2004, 4:43am
I posted this question on www.folkpunktabs.com and did not get a lot feed back so will try here also. If you were going to make up a C.D. to show how the mandolin can be used
in rock/punk/folkrock what songs would you be sure to include ?

Thanks for your time.

ira
Oct-28-2004, 6:47am
as far as semi punk stuff-blister in the sun (almost anything by the femmes for that matter), and we are working on blitzkrieg bop, psycho killer .

folk rock- anything in the genre would be fine.

ira
Oct-28-2004, 6:47am
as far as semi punk stuff-blister in the sun (almost anything by the femmes for that matter), and we are working on blitzkrieg bop, psycho killer .

folk rock- anything in the genre would be fine.

PlayerOf8
Oct-28-2004, 3:30pm
Dylan's All ALong The Watchtower. Kelly Purdue covers this on Up In The Cool
GM

mandofiddle
Oct-28-2004, 3:38pm
Anything by...

String Cheese Incident
Cast Iron Filter
Shanti Groove
Leftover Salmon

JD Cowles
Oct-28-2004, 4:12pm
get your hands on a copy of "rum, sodomy, and the lash" by the pogues. you won't need to much more convincin' after that one.
jd

Mutiny
Oct-28-2004, 5:49pm
hey, I'm Rum from folkpunktabs.
I've found that most irish punk bands that are fairly talented have fiddle/tenor banjo/whistle as the lead. not so many with the mando.
Some other songs would be:

Mutiny - Drink to better days
McGillicuddys - Father jacks favorite (also called chief o'neils hornpipe)
Mahones - Drunken lazy ####### (awsome sounding electric mandolin)
Dolomites - Marchers lament (they've got accordian, bouzouki, tenor banjo and mandolin all on that track)

Mutiny
Oct-28-2004, 5:49pm
thats: Mahones - Drunken lazy ba.s.tard

mandocrucian
Oct-28-2004, 6:12pm
Niles Hokkanen - On Fire & Ready! (http://www.btinternet.com/~john.baldry/mando/hokkanen.html)

(Elderly) On Fire & Ready! (http://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/MANDOCRUCIAN-CD03.htm)

NH

Dave Caulkins
Oct-29-2004, 10:35am
I second the Pogues' material... How about Tempest (California Celt/Nordic folk-rock group using a double neck electric mando...). Alex Gregory would be a fun addition, if you're looking for versatility in the instrument. If you can dredge up some tracks with Richard Thompson playing mando, that would be cool (on a related note, my folk-rock band took a stab at playing "Keep Your Distance" as a punk tune last night and it worked...) Nash the Slash is a punkesque violinist/mandolinist... a little weird (even for me).

Dave

jmkatcher
Oct-29-2004, 5:31pm
Thanks for the "Keep Your Distance" suggestion. That kicks butt on the mandolin! Definitely a new member of the set list...

Trip
Nov-01-2004, 11:08pm
We do a crazy version of the old Dick Dale Surf music song Pipeline(check it out on my website)with mando, fiddle, guitar and standup bass and also some Pink Floyd covers, and sometimes a Hendrix tune, and a few hundred Grateful Dead/Jerry songs

StrangerStringBand.com (http://www.strangerstringband.com)

Gotterdamerung
Nov-03-2004, 1:07pm
What key is "Keep Your Distance" in? I'd love to start playing that one.

grsnovi
Nov-03-2004, 2:19pm
And We Danced & Karla with a K - The Hooters
The Weight - The Band
Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead
Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood