PDA

View Full Version : A (Far too) Big Hand for the Neck

Adare_Steve
Oct-27-2004, 6:02pm
Recently, when playing chords on my beloved Fylde Bouzouki around the 2nd and 3rd frets (is there anywhere else to play chords!!) I've encountered a slight problem with my hand position.

The skin at the top of the palm, just below the 'crease' where my first fingers joins the palm, catches on the first course of strings. I haven't noticed this before, and I don't think I've changed my hand position much lately. So, maybe my palm is swelling!

I am aware that my thumb, when in a comfortable position, is well over the far edge of the neck, with the crease of the knuckle slightly above the edge.

Any thoughts on how I might adjust my hand positon to rectify this problem - which only seems to have happened a year into playing the zouk?

Steve

otterly2k
Oct-27-2004, 8:40pm
Well, as I understand it, the "proper" hand position for fretted stringed instruments involves having the thumb positioned in the middle of the neck and the fingers arched so that the tips approach the strings virtually perpendicularly.

Now, I'm not saying that I or many people I know have such perfect posture. But it is true that this provides for a lot of leverage in putting pressure on the strings, optimizes reach and minimizes the amount of movement of the hand (economy of motion). Having the hand arched around the neck rather than grabbing it would certainly address the problem you describe. Try it... it will feel strange at first, but if you practice that way, it may become more comfortable...

KE

Dolamon
Oct-27-2004, 9:24pm
Karen made some great points, Steve. One thing to add to that is try playing infront of a mirror and see if you create a "Tunnel" with the palm of the hand. The thumb (ideally at least) should be resting somewhere behind the second fret, either on the side of the neck or at the back ... then the fingers can arch over and find a place where only the tips and pads of the fingers are perched.

Something I noticed recently - even sitting, if I use the strap to hold the instrument in the "normal" position, my left hand is always in the proper position. This keeps fatigue from setting in and makes the left thumb / fingers / tips work in the same, consistent position. A classic definition is in Simon Mayors' #Advanced Mandolin Tutor (http://www.midcontinentmusic.com/detail.cfm?Catalogid=1774) - Where he suggests having the fingers of the left hand point towards your nose ... it seemed silly until I tried it and realized that's what feels right.